F1 2019

LeeM

9 hours ago, GregAx said:

Seen this mentioned a few times here. Interested to know why................you don't like him as a person or a racing driver?

I think he is amazingly talented driver ,his world titles speak for him no doubt  ,,,,,my dislike and that of many other is his personality and the way he acts at times like a bad ass gangster rapper ,pushing the whole hip hop image all the time ...

Many of the english fans that follow F1 around the globe are always present at the events and they really hate on him hard ,,,,the english fans think of F1 as being British and they just don,t like his image that he push,s and see it as being very un British ...

F1 has a certain image about it of style ,, class and wealth eg elegant men and women drinking champagne and rubbing should,s with the rich and famous  ,,,as it is the world top class motorsport series and attracts those people ..

Hamiltons gangster image rubes the F1 establishment the wrong way ,I understand people like to be different and us images to get them in the spot light and create controversy ,,,,I just dont think the gangster hip hop image is one that should be present in F1 ..

I'm with Raven.

Now to be really controversial and this is my opinion only whether it be right or wrong but as far as i'm concerned he has really only won 2 world championships. 

Now don't get me wrong you have to be good to even win 1 let alone 2 or more so I'm not having a go at his driving ability.

The issue I have is that at least 2 maybe 3 of those championships were due to the car more than the driver (and team rules and other factors).

I would love to have seen him up against Vettel (or some other drivers including Ricciardo) in the same car just to confirm my suspicions and if he still came out on top I would be the first to eat humble pie.

Now I know that is not of his doing that the car is so good but it's his attitude that to me (and plenty of others), sucks.

He's probably a top bloke away from F1 but he certainly doesn't portray that on TV (again that is just my observation).

To all the Hamilton fanboys out there please be gentle with me😀😀😀

What he said ^

For me, he used to be a cocky little twat, yet as he came on the scene and was immediately successful as a driver, it was quite obvious it went to his head. Some of that hasn't worn off, and now he seems to expect everyone to bow down to him which they do. You just have to listen to his radio transmissions to his team when things aren't going right. Same as Vettel really. Now we have Verstappen! 

He's turned into a spoilt brat, and with his recent media interview outbursts and pushing Ocon after their get together on track (understandable reaction to a point, yet I would have boxed him one in the gob) he's lost fans and respect from quite a few corners of the motorsport world. As a sporting professional in the public eye, you can only do that for so long before you end up racing ForumlaE and your career is over.

In bike racing, Wayne Gardner was my ultimate hero for years...until I met him when he was racing touring cars. Arrogant beyond my comprehension, yet after watching many an interview with him after that, I should have noticed it long before. He hasn't changed at all and is still arrogant after having to listen to his dribble recently on a MotoGP telecast.

I think most people at the top of their game have to possess some sort of arrogance about them, as it's part of their makeup to be the best they can be. One person who stands out for me is Carl Fogarty, World Superbike world champ a few years back. He has to be the cockiest prick I've ever met and you instantly take a disliking to him (his wife is the complete opposite), yet by his own admission from a doco I watched yesterday, it was all part of him wanting to be the best, so I kind of admire him for that now.

For anyone who has competed at a decent level of whatever sport they do, you know what it takes to be the best, yet some need to take it a little further and they're the ones who DO become the best. You go back to the Senna era of F1 and watch interviews with Senna, Prost, Mansell, Schumacher, etc etc, and you'll see they're isn't much difference to Hamilton with the aura of arrogance they possess. James Hunt. Great driver on track and a pisshead larrikin off of it. Niki Lauda. Very arrogant and extremely professional 24/7, yet out of those 2 who won more titles? 

All of the current crop of motorsport stars should take a leaf out of Barry Sheenes book. He was cocky for sure, but the way he went about it off the track is how you should be. He is still probably the nicest guy I have ever met in my lifetime...and I still owe him a pint of beer 

Appreciate the comments gents, I am surely not here to cause a debate, just interested to hear what it is about a person who is hated by many who have not even meet him.  His accolades speak for themselves. Im not into the rap/hip hop genre either but everyone is different hey. Saying he should only have two of the five championships is not quite fair. He did compete againt his team mate in the same car and you could also say the same about Schumachers 7 when Ferrari were on-top of their game, like wise with Vettels 4 with Red Bull. Lee's right as far as as ediquate goes, James Hunt was a brit, who boasted about how many women he slept with, was a drug and alcohol abuser, yet they made a movie about him...oh yeah and only won one championship and only just.

Verstappen outburst was truly justified in my opinion, when he approached Ocon after the race he did not get the reaction he thought he would from a backmaker who just ruined his race. And he's the one that got 2 days community service. 

Hamilton is only 33 and might become GOAT of F1. I am just happy to have watched his journey as he keeps producing magical moments like his quali lap in Singapore. Some drivers need the car under them to be right whilst others will drive the wheels of anything. Hamilton falls into the latter.

Anyway last race of the season this weekend and looking forward to 2019 with all the rule changes. Again like previous, one team will take advantage of the rule changes and will dominate and the others will need to catch-up.

Agree with most of what you said GregAx especially the last paragraph and I reckon that is the main reason for Hamilton's domination and not his ability (not that he can't drive nor I can drive even at 10% of him. His balls are much bigger than mine although I'd love to have a go in an F1 car😀) but that the other teams need to get their act together.

I said it before they implemented it that there is no way they'll get out in a hurry if there is a fire. I watched Vettel get out of his car the other day and it looks bloody awkward. 

You watch, they'll now want to fit those wheel covers like Indycars have so there is minimal chance of wheel to wheel contact

I am all for safety for both drivers and spectators alike eg if there is a consistent problem in some area then come up with a solution  ,,,but you have to draw a line on to much or over the top safety measures ,,,,,this is motor racing and there is a degree of risk that is part of the attraction ...

I still think the Halo is a good idea ,,but like most major changes there are both Pro,s and con,s ,,,this latest roll over have proven that it is near impossible to get out if upside down ...

I know in club motorsport at state level ,,,,in open wheeler and LMP type Pro sport cars fire Bomb systems are permitted and I have seen them used to great effect in saving a driver from horrific burns and saving a race car  ..It is very difficult to get out of one of these cars with a Hans and six point harness on ,,when you have finished and event let alone when a car is upside down and on fire and you are panic has set in...

perhaps F1 needs to adopt these fire bomb system also if they do no have them already ,,,very simple operation for a driver in a situation with a fire ,,and also buys extra time till the safety safari arrive ...

Back on the hamilton thing - it was obvious from the start he was a champ in the making.  He has true talent.

On the arrogance thing - I actually think australians in general always take a dislike to arrogance and win-at-all-costs attitude.  Vettel, Schumacher, Hamilton, Lauda- all display this attitude.  It used to really grind my gears when Vettel was supremely arrogant despite Webber being ahead in the points, and Webber was forced to hand it over and miss his only real shot at the title.

With reflection I've come to realize that you virtually have to have that attitude to win.  You've got to crush and control a lot of massive egos at that level to win.  You have to be willing to be ruthless.  So many Australian sports people fall just short at the top level and choke, probably because of the aussie attitude of not 'getting too big for your boots'.  Not knocking it or suggesting it changes, just an observation that the aussie way isn't a strength when it comes to top of the world competition.

There are exceptions of course, Australians who have won at the highest level while staying grounded - but they actually make it so much harder by setting such a high standard.  Not many Rod Lavers and Jack Brabhams in the world...and the ones that have succeeded like Gardner and others have learnt to develop the win-at-all-costs attitude.  You have guys like Webber who have the talent yet have been shafted in team decisions because ultimately someone probably decided he was more likely to take it on the chin.  But on the flipside you have guys who develop the arrogance before the results and they are the ones people really love to hate on.  

Of course, the really really talented guys like Senna and Federer are self confident but carry themselves in a far different way.  If only everyone could be like that.

Anyway, I'm not a huge Hamilton fan but in the beginning he was a lot more likeable.  I also don't like the gangster image in anyone for any reason - but i figure that's just the crowd he runs with and - whatever - I only care about the driving.  But I have enjoyed following the arc of his career without ever being a real fan.  Besides all the guys I like, like Webber and Button and Ricciardo and Raikkonen seem to get shafted on a regular basis.  Because they're mostly nice hardworking guys.  Except Raikkonen - that guy is lazy as, but that's why he's entertaining.

My dream is to see Hamilton, Vettel and Riccardio in exactly the same car, same power output but with their own handling setup race on any track for 20 laps and see who comes out on top.

I would be willing to wager it would not be Hamilton.

Unfortunately we will never find out.

Which is why he'll see out his years with Mercedes. When you're on a good thing...

I'd love to have seen the top 500cc gp guys swap teams/bikes and see how they went. Rainey, Schwantz, Doohan, Gardner etc. The only guys I can remember that did were Randy Mamola, Eddie Lawson and Daryl Beattie 

F1's biggest issue has been the tyres. It's been an ongoing saga over the last 10 years or more, so much lift and coast to manage heat cycles and blistering is killing the racing. Pirelli have tried manipulate the sport (better racing) with all the different compounds, hypers, ultras, supers etc but in essence they are ruining it. Schumacher kept harping on about it when he returned and Lewis and Vettel spoke about it post race on Sunday. It's been all about who manages the tyres best..... follow the car in front for a couple of laps and they will heat up. The tyres work perfectly in a particular temperature window but outside of that the drivers can't push 100 percent all the time. 

Mercedes success in the second half of the season was evident by Ferrari introducing a  new floor which obviously didn't work......they did put the old one back on several races later.....and Mercedes used a new rear rim with internal cooling vanes to better manage the heat in the rear tyres which in turn, less blistering and more endurance.

Next year F1 will have only 3 compounds soft, medium and hard. I have never understood that in an F1 world where effeciency and longevity is key, they use tyres that can't endure more than 8 laps of racing, yet the teams are expected to use 3 engines for the entire year.

Hope with the new regs its even better next year.

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Only threatens Mercedes winning, so what hehehhe. The will of the populace is monumental and especially compared to poor little Mercedes team. They voted leave and I hope they do. Pollies fuch it all up again as usual with all their vested interests....

No-one likes a dominant team eh?
Poor old Porsche in the early 70s :lol:
They should have another crack at F1 now the Le Mans point has been proven.
Old man Porsche certainly helped Mercedes back in the day, then again they gave him a big break!
Politics in govt and also the business of motorsport. As we know , its' always about money.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Gotta love Kimi 😂

I enjoy a chuckle when anyone interviews "smiling" Kimi and asks the relatively standard questions, he always answers with the most blatantly obvious answers that the interviewer knows. He's great. So very dry and has that funny edge of condescension in his voice