996 tyres

Morpheus

Hi all,

Have been loving the 996. Really enjoying getting used to all her quirks and tricks.

Even blasted down to the Fleurieu today in the heat - no concerns even with the air con on flat out. Despite it being a toy/good car I can really see the possibility of using her as a daily.

I’m after opinions on tyres for the stock 17inch rims. The contis on the rears are nearly slicks - I am probably running too much pressure - and they are starting to squeal with only the slightest cornering.

Long term is probably consider going to 18 inch wheels but for now I’m pretty happy with the stock 17s. I figure the tyres will probably be cheaper too, but happy to be advised if this is not the case.

These have been getting rave reviews around the world for being a good all round tyre and very well priced.

I'm fitting some to my 16 inch rims in the new year as I have the R spec AR1 Nangkangs currently fitted to my 15's at $720 per set fitted. You dont want them if you're going to use it as a daily, as they are very sport focused and you'll have to cough up a few times a year for tyres

Not sure on pricing and sizes, yet there's a distributor/fitter on Marion road, Ascot Park or one at Magill. Good blokes who won't rip you off. 

https://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/ns-2r/

Not sure of sizes needed, but I just bought a staggered set of 17" Hankook Ventus RS4's for my MR2 Turbo's new wheels after being recommended. Hankook had a 4 for the price of 3 sale on so I was only out of pocket just over $700!

I am using the RS4's on my M135 and have had good grip on the road, have not used them in wet but OK in damp conditions. On the track they are better than road tyres but at treadwear 200 tend to slide a bit on hard cornering. I will be using the Nankang AR-1 on track early next year but as LeeM said they are softer at treadware 80, so should work well. Will report on how they go.

The contis squeeling can be a result of the tyres hardening with age !

I will be up for fronts soon, i have Michelin on the rears and they still have some life in them although they are 4 years old. I would like something a bit sportier as well i think as i have 18's on my 996.

So what are the options for a weekend car that gets driven spiritedly when it's out for the day or a weekend away, @Peter M

recommended a tyre that he had on his car but i can't remember what they were.

@TINGY996

I particularly like these: https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/potenza-adrenalin-re003

Cheap too as they are often sold on a 4 for the price of 3 basis.

Can't say I'm particular interested using R spec tyres for a street car as I like driving in the rain and using them on the street strikes me as a bit of a wank really.  I guess you can also say that about 911 ownership generally!

I also liked the Cup 2's I had on my 993.  

38 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Can't say I'm particular interested using R spec tyres for a street car as I like driving in the rain and using them on the street strikes me as a bit of a wank really.  I guess you can also say that about 911 ownership generally

Having recently driven in  the wet on R spec tyres, I can say that they're fine if you're not fanging it. I'd prefer not to do that ofcourse, as I also like rain driving, so next time I'll change rims and tyres. I wouldn't say R spec are a wank for the street when one is only using the car in the hills in a spirited fashion, as they do offer better grip and change the handling characteristics of the car for the better, but that's me 

Thanks guys!

@9fan you are 100% correct. I just looked at the age of the fronts and they are bloody six years old now... rears are younger but completely stuffed now. Will likely need four now. 😬 Couple of sprints between Victor Harbor and Aldinga in the heat has melted them to a slick..

Thanks for the options with tyres. Has anyone run a wider tyre on the 17s? The contis on the rear are the original 255/40 size.

Advan (Yokohama) neova would be my pick based on performance & price point. I’ve had experience in both wet & dry on a closed road tarmac rally and found them to be suitably impressive. I’m yet to find any semi/intermediate tyre that comes close (and I’ve tried most). Very advanced and progressive rubber compounds. 

Archived