STOLEN: 996.2 Service Book

poli84

My friend had the service book stolen from his 996.2 in Carlton North on Friday. He accidentally left the car open and in the morning the service book was taken from the leather pouch (user manual and other documentation was left, only the service book was taken). 

He has reported it to the police but if anyone hears anything that could lead to their return or is aware of anyone who can "source service books for a 996", please let me know as he is obvioulsy keen for their return. 

I had my ute ransacked a couple of weeks ago too in fitzroy. I accidentally left it unlocked and they must go car to car just checking which ones are unlocked. Shame they didn't take my whole car. :)

Strange that a junky would take a service book - it's of no value to them. I would suggest having a wander through the nearby laneways. We always find all types of things in our laneway that's obviously been stolen - eg. letters, handbags, wallets, laptop bags, through to cash register lock boxes and cash safes! If they realised it was no value to them - they might have just chucked it.

4 hours ago, AdRock said:

I had my ute ransacked a couple of weeks ago too in fitzroy. I accidentally left it unlocked and they must go car to car just checking which ones are unlocked. Shame they didn't take my whole car. :)

Strange that a junky would take a service book - it's of no value to them. I would suggest having a wander through the nearby laneways. We always find all types of things in our laneway that's obviously been stolen - eg. letters, handbags, wallets, laptop bags, through to cash register lock boxes and cash safes! If they realised it was no value to them - they might have just chucked it.

From what I have read and hear, stolen service books are used to help move stolen cars by tampering with the details. Can also be used to extract VIN and engine number details for re-birthing stolen or write off vehicles. 

He’s made flyers and hung them up in the neighbourhood offering a reward if they are handed in. Fingers crossed he gets them back because he wanted to sell the car!

15 hours ago, poli84 said:

From what I have read and hear, stolen service books are used to help move stolen cars by tampering with the details. Can also be used to extract VIN and engine number details for re-birthing stolen or write off vehicles. 

He’s made flyers and hung them up in the neighbourhood offering a reward if they are handed in. Fingers crossed he gets them back because he wanted to sell the car!

You would think that he would have to be particularly unlucky that on the one day he happens to leave the car unlocked, that a crook that happens to be on the lookout for service books came across your mate's car!

You would think that's the only reasonable explanation though. I wonder how they re-birth a car that already has it's VIN and engine number on file as a registered car?  Those cheeky underworld masterminds!!

Carlton North is a good little community - hopefully he gets lucky and someone comes across it.

If nothing else - it might be worth people scanning their logbooks and making a digital copy, should it ever get stolen or lost.

On 21/01/2019 at 13:44, poli84 said:

My friend had the service book stolen from his 996.2 in Carlton North on Friday. He accidentally left the car open and in the morning the service book was taken from the leather pouch (user manual and other documentation was left, only the service book was taken). 

He has reported it to the police but if anyone hears anything that could lead to their return or is aware of anyone who can "source service books for a 996", please let me know as he is obvioulsy keen for their return. 

I sincerely hope that he gets the books back as that is easily 15% of the sale premium right there.

Better check the last mechanic, maybe, just maybe was taken out to stamp and not returned.

An alternative thought.

Could it be that your mate had taken the service book out of the wallet for some reason & forgot to put it back (I have done similar) or who ever serviced it last did not put it back.

It just seems odd the thieves didn't snatch the whole wallet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2019 at 11:24, Arnage said:

An alternative thought.

Could it be that your mate had taken the service book out of the wallet for some reason & forgot to put it back (I have done similar) or who ever serviced it last did not put it back.

It just seems odd the thieves didn't snatch the whole wallet.

I miss understood the situation, they did snatch the whole wallet, so all is gone.

Must be a new thing that’s going around, a mate of mine had the service books and bits and bobs stolen from his bmw and his wife’s Lexus in Armadale recently. No damage to cars or signs of a break in and both of them are car lockers, it would be highly unlikely that they had both left their cars unlocked. 

Women next door had her house burgled - the police told her that crims got in because she had left a spare house key in with her packet of Mercedes service books in her car. Turned out some crim had earlier pinched her valet key from the MB (she never noticed), perhaps when servicing? Then they waited till she went OS on holidays so they could leisurely take anything in her house of value, after opening her car in her carport. 

Cops also said that most Euro key fobs have been hacked anyway to the extent that kids are doing it now like a modern version of stealing badges. If they are young & get caught, nothing ever happens to them except a stiff 'talking-to' from a Social Worker: If they are of african decent they probably get a government cash bonus to assist them out of their difficult situation.😦

Archived