Shipping car from LA to OZ

turboT

Agree with that notion mate, never ever, again... 

Whoever you chose to work with, my advice considering the asset in question and the bullshit you went through last time, is to just get it in it’s own 20 ft. container and make sure it sails on a direct service... once it gets packed and loaded onto the vessel, it’ll only take 21~ days from West Coast to Sydney port. From that time you can literally get access to it within 2-3 days of the container landing. 

Any time cargo get consolidated, it adds to the timeframe on both the front and back end of the shipping process. 

Sure you pay a little more money, but now you know the extra value it brings you. 

Let me know if you want my forwarders details, I did quote this for us a year two back remember, alas that was 2 cars 

Yeah, it’s frustrating at times as largely out of your control. Mines a few months later than I’d like as was hoping it would ship Dec/Jan, but its in a container with 3 other cars so there is always risk of some waiting for consolidation unless your the last car.

When sending a single container you get bumped for higher priority cargo. Our container was ready to ship two weeks ago and got bumped when a couple of large business with regular accounts consigned 50+ containers.

You get what you pay for, im sure if I (we)  bought a higher priority the rates would multiply. After a year long build another few weeks won’t reallly matter. I am using a SA based agent “American Muscle Car Imports” and “Ameroz” who have done all the asbestos testing and work in LA to remove some of the hassle and delays at this end.

And if you cant wait, there is always airfreight... can get it next day!

4 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

This fellow has a good wrap.

https://www.personalimport.com.au/

Apparently usatoaus are not freight fowarders/customs broker like him... they import American cars and offer shipping as a side line.

He Got back straight away. $5600 costs + the 10% for the government. Same as USAtoOZ. 

Just now, turboT said:

He Got back straight away. $5600 costs + the 10% for the government. Same as USAtoOZ. 

I remember getting a full breakdown from  personalimports (who I’d choose as Dominic seemed genuine and has a good rep)... from what I remember once you add it all up, it was pretty close to 15k door to door

I have used four different shipping agents over the years, all with positives and negatives. All I say to people is not to be in a hurry, and have good insurance.

Referring to the above comment I'm not sure where you get a $15K total from, the maths for total cost to land is fairly simple, and obviously the car (or other item) is the variable

It included asbestos inspections (not required work) shipping to the port, potential storage at the port, all the bits inbetween then all the inspection/quarantine/storage/cleaning/transport to house, basically a whole lot of stuff I never even considered. Everyone seemed to want a slice

FWIW in 2007 I imported a US$6000 Thunderbird from LA. I paid owner direct. Owner dropped it at the shipping yard. Car import company here did every single thing and it turned up 2 weeks early and at their yard ready for me to pick up in 5 weeks. Cost in total was $6500. I guess that could be near on doubled now, maybe not …. and add a bit more in duty GST etc for a US$50k car.....

On 03/03/2019 at 09:32, 9er said:

I have used four different shipping agents over the years, all with positives and negatives. All I say to people is not to be in a hurry, and have good insurance.

Referring to the above comment I'm not sure where you get a $15K total from, the maths for total cost to land is fairly simple, and obviously the car (or other item) is the variable

based on $30K car purchase (well that's what the receipt says...)

Ocean freight/packing                                               AUD 2105 (USD 1495 )

Export customs clearance                                         AUD   150

Pre export asbestos testing                                      AUD   425 (USD 300)

Fumigation charges                                                   AUD   280 (Current Stink bug season in USA)

Marine insurance 1.5% value                                   AUD   450

Aust container pick up / unpack share                   AUD   990

Customs clearance charges                                      AUD   250

Quarantine inspection fees                                      AUD   160

Attendance quarantine inspection                         AUD   132

Import duty free (over 30 years old)

Import gst 10% (value+frt+ins)                                AUD 3255                             

Customs electronic entry fee                                   AUD   194                             

Cartage metro Sydney  area                                     AUD   300 (or you can pick up )  

Vehicle import application                                       AUD   220

Our handling management fee                                AUD   395

TOTAL COSTS                                                              AUD 9306

so far great response from the guys

this would be great if it actually happens (USAto OZ took close to 6 months last time...)

2- 3 weeks for pre export asbestos testing / cleaning / loading / deliver to Long Beach port

4 weeks vessel sailing

1-2 weeks for pick up / unpack and quarantine inspections (normally 1 week but current delays with quarantine and booking times

10 hours ago, turboT said:

based on $30K car purchase (well that's what the receipt says...)

Ocean freight/packing                                               AUD 2105 (USD 1495 )

Export customs clearance                                         AUD   150

Pre export asbestos testing                                      AUD   425 (USD 300)

Fumigation charges                                                   AUD   280 (Current Stink bug season in USA)

Marine insurance 1.5% value                                   AUD   450

Aust container pick up / unpack share                   AUD   990

Customs clearance charges                                      AUD   250

Quarantine inspection fees                                      AUD   160

Attendance quarantine inspection                         AUD   132

Import duty free (over 30 years old)

Import gst 10% (value+frt+ins)                                AUD 3255                             

Customs electronic entry fee                                   AUD   194                             

Cartage metro Sydney  area                                     AUD   300 (or you can pick up )  

Vehicle import application                                       AUD   220

Our handling management fee                                AUD   395

TOTAL COSTS                                                              AUD 9306

so far great response from the guys

this would be great if it actually happens (USAto OZ took close to 6 months last time...)

2- 3 weeks for pre export asbestos testing / cleaning / loading / deliver to Long Beach port

4 weeks vessel sailing

1-2 weeks for pick up / unpack and quarantine inspections (normally 1 week but current delays with quarantine and booking times

Pretty crazy when you see that the actual shipping or transport component is only 22% of the total cost......  😞

On 05/03/2019 at 10:23, Troubleshooter said:

This is the Polopower machine coming home Tom?

It will be when I finally get a chance to organise 

On 05/03/2019 at 08:14, TwoHeadsTas said:

Pretty crazy when you see that the actual shipping or transport component is only 22% of the total cost......  😞

yeah... 'what the receipt says'

IMG_3738_zpsmojaw1zo.jpg

IMG_0042_zpsuymj8hb8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone actually been through the asbestos testing process with a 911 yet?  Are there any known asbestos areas that need to be dealt with?  Or is it a crapshoot what brake pads have been fitted over the years?

Depends on age 60/70/80etc , but areas of concern on older cars are brakes and potential swab of bellhousing for traces of asbestos in clutch, and any gaskets in exhaust etc

Older cars, particular front engine also may have products containing asbestos found in firewall  and wiring insulation etc.

Your import company/agent should be accross this detail in advance, and arranged testing in LA before loading in the container to Aust.

You should definatly check things like brake pads if its an old car and not leave it to chance, I replaced all mine with new ceramic pads and new rotors and callipers so i know I’m ok there and no residual dust etc as its all new.

Same with clutch, its a modern racing clutch and bell housing was cleaned to make sure any swab tests dont pick up old contaminants.

Will find out in around 4-5 weeks if there are any other surprises  !!!

Yes the pre-inspection is now part of the procedure but getting it ready for pre-inspection can be done.  Seems like the approach is just to replace brake pads and clean.  I see home asbestos testing kits - wonder if they would be useful enough to pick up bell housing / brake dust?

really what I was hoping someone would pipe up and say ‘yes my 19xx 911 was tested before import and exhaust gasket etc were fine but I had to replace brake pads’

The Porsche data seems to say 1989 was the year they went asbestos free everywhere, but there should be no cars still using original clutch or brake pads....however plenty still running original gaskets.

Isn't it pathetic that the government are so concerned with microscopic traces of asbestos in a car from overseas, yet there is no concern whatsoever with having diesel powered cars and trucks on the road! Ya gotta laugh at the hypocrisy of these idiots 

Cars are baaad.   Muscle cars from the USA are veeeery baaaad.  They can’t ban so they regulate regulate regulate.

plus men who wear uniforms to work love to clipboard and rule quote.  

Here we are though - more restrictions on imports at the time it was supposed to be easier to import.   At least 964s and up are asbestos free and you can import from dec onward.

You can approach companies like “Ameroz” who will do o/s asbestos testing prior to import.  They have a form and process where you can attach various samples and have tested and attach to your import declaration to demonstrate compliance. 

That’s who is used, even with my new ceramic pads i still took scrapings/samples and sent for testing so mitigate issues, cost and lost time at this end.

738BCD01-C6F3-4A8E-826E-E32349EB7D22.jpeg

Archived