Battery Charger recommendations- for 944 S2 .

Jason E

Apologies - I know this has been discussed before - 

I want to buy a trickle charger for my 944S2.  The battery was flat today as I haven't driven it for about a month.  I was told CTEK is the go by 'a bloke in the know'.  Just thought I'd see if anyone has one they are using on their 944 & can recommend same.

cheers,

Jason

The CTEK's are indeed the go.  Traditional chargers dry out the battery and kill it but the CTEKs don't have the same effect apparently.   I have a MXS-7 and its probably overkill (running a ~700amp battery in 996) but all battery issues cease to exist.  Keep it plugged in and has some sort of ongoing conditioning cycle to keep battery in optimal condition.

I believe that the Porsche labelled trickle chargers are rebadged CTEK's if thats an endorsement.

5 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

…. use on low & flat batteries.....

But allowing  conventional batteries to discharge to that state severely reduces their useful life.  Surely it's better to put them on a staged charger in the first place and avoid the need for jump starting?

Doesn’t matter what car you drive when it comes to batteries. I have had two P cars on CTEK when not in use and the batteries test at > 80% and they are 8 years old and going strong. There are also many computerised charges on the market that do the same job as CETK. After all charging a battery  is not rocket science. But CTEK is quality so just get one. 

Cheers All,

As my 944 is no longer my daily I just need to work out which model CTEK will keep the battery in optimal condition.  I suppose the CTEK site may have some info on which model is best for the battery perhaps.

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

I hope not Jase I bought the same one about 2 weeks ago. Read up and that was the model recommended on a few forums. I haven’t tried it yet as only got the car back today. Set up looks simple and PO had already fitted the click in short wire to the battery terminals so it’s a plug and play for me.

34 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Yep!  That's the one and at a great price.

I've bought about 6 of these over the last 5 years and have no complaints.

Great, I have one on hold at my local Kedron store.  I'll hook my car up this morning as soon as I get home.

Cheers Lads, to all who responded with advice, I appreciate it.

cheers

14 hours ago, Jason E said:

That's the way to go Jason, I have two of the exact same model and they are perfect.

The kit will come with a plug that allows you to bolt the quick connector to the battery terminals via some eyelets (or you could just use the alligator clips but the eyelets are neater).  If you can measure your battery bolts and get the eyelets to suit, it will save you mucking around with them to fit.  In both chargers I purchased, the eyelet was slightly smaller than the battery bolts, meaning a had to drill the eyelets out.  Given how thin the eyelets are, you need to take great care when holding them for drilling, don't push hard, use a timber backing board & drill press, a worn drill bit may be more forgiving with less bite.  One out of my 4 grabbed and chewed the eyelet out, meaning I had to cut the wire and re-crimp a new eyelet :mellow:.  If you have more patience than me, filing may be a safer method, or if you can source, get the correct size eyelets from the start.

8 minutes ago, Stepo said:

That's the way to go Jason, I have two of the exact same model and they are perfect.

The kit will come with a plug that allows you to bolt the quick connector to the battery terminals via some eyelets (or you could just use the alligator clips but the eyelets are neater).  If you can measure your battery bolts and get the eyelets to suit, it will save you mucking around with them to fit.  In both chargers I purchased, the eyelet was slightly smaller than the battery bolts, meaning a had to drill the eyelets out.  Given how thin the eyelets are, you need to take great care when holding them for drilling, don't push hard, use a timber backing board & drill press, a worn drill bit may be more forgiving with less bite.  One out of my 4 grabbed and chewed the eyelet out, meaning I had to cut the wire and re-crimp a new eyelet :mellow:.  If you have more patience than me, filing may be a safer method, or if you can source, get the correct size eyelets from the start.

great advice, much appreciated.

My car is currently charging on my new CTEK MXS 5.0 - should be great.

• 1 month later...

Good timing on this thread. I picked up a CTEK on special at Repco a few weeks ago as well after reading this.

Just awaiting the motivation to run a power lead neatly to the car and hook it up now... Should be a protect I can get done this year I think. 😄

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2019 at 08:38, JWM said:

Just awaiting the motivation to run a power lead neatly to the car and hook it up now... Should be a protect I can get done this year I think. 😄

Well, this is a bloody work of art if I do say so myself, you can hardly tell it's here... 😂

58390261572__14745778-B150-4D41-9471-F1F269D34240.jpeg

15 minutes ago, JWM said:

Well, this is a bloody work of art if I do say so myself, you can hardly tell it's here... 😂

58390261572__14745778-B150-4D41-9471-F1F269D34240.jpeg

I must admit to being a bit disappointed in the way the leads are attached to the battery on my own charger.  I fitted the permanent leads last weekend & they don't fit neatly at all really - they cause the terminal covers to sit up high & don't allow the carpet flat to sit neatly.  Not the best design for the poor ol' Porsche.