Adelaide Motorsport festival cancelled

LeeM

Wanna do the AMF? Well ya can't. Normal for any SA government to cut funding I s'pose. Bet if it was AFL or 14 vegans playing Kumbaya My Lord through toilet rolls, they'd throw money at it 🙄 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1197312297142800&id=176701815870525&fs=0&focus_composer=0

Yeah saw the announcement as it was posted, properly pissed off about that as it’s been a fantastic event for the last couple of times I’ve been over. Without the Victoria Park area I can see the whole rally event being a flop as well, where the hell will they park all the cars up safely?

No idea @Mike-S Am told by a couple of rally competitors they weren't going to be doing the rally this year due to escalating costs and were going to do the AMF instead. Kills that idea then! 

It's just a pain that it's always motorsport that is the first to get the chop or not even considered with any SA government. We lost the F1's due to a part time premier who had always been against it (and is a right God bothering plonker who is now in charge of Anglicare!), and now that the Adelaide 500 is even more government controlled, prices have skyrocketed, so give it time and theyll probably replace it with another moccasin wearing douchebag arts/music festival 🙄

WTF?!?  Each year has progressively been better than the last.  2018 was awesome & I know a heap of people who were really looking forward to 2019, and seeing where the momentum was going to take the event.

Absolutely crap, short-sighted decision by government.  Unbelievable!!  

Feel sorry for the organisers.  Last one out of SA, turn the lights off.

Yeah @Rick V it's a tragedy for motorsport fans as far as I'm concerned. A mate bought Frank Williams old 60's Brabham F1 car that he was going to enter, so he's not overly impressed. Hopefully theyll get some private funding to keep it going, yet in this economy I highly doubt it. Fingers crossed, as hosting it at Mallala or The Bend will be a huge flop I reckon. People liked the convenience of it being in the city, so attendance numbers would be halved at least. Just a damn shame

8 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Conservative Radelaide !!!!!!!

Fkn nanny state more like it. If it's the arts with thousands of stoned, unemployed interpretive dancers whose daily banquet is hemp biscuits dipped in lentil soup whilst making bongo drums from coconuts, they throw millions at it. The Libs have cracked down hard with handouts, at the same time increasing most taxes, transport fares and fines due to a shortfall in a federal $500million GST. Even car parking at all hospitals has jumped up a fair bit. That's just poor form.

I understand people pointing fingers at the government but I can't help but think about the organiser making a massive income from the event, even the entry level part of the festival that I participated in, cost serious coin, and none of that was going to the great people who helped out and volunteered on the day.

On 28/05/2019 at 07:51, LeeM said:

The Libs have cracked down hard with handouts, at the same time increasing most taxes, transport fares and fines due to a shortfall in a federal $500million GST. Even car parking at all hospitals has jumped up a fair bit. That's just poor form.

Just happened in Darwin too... just in time for the dry season (tourist season)

On 29/05/2019 at 11:20, 9er said:

I understand people pointing fingers at the government but I can't help but think about the organiser making a massive income from the event, even the entry level part of the festival that I participated in, cost serious coin, and none of that was going to the great people who helped out and volunteered on the day.

Absolutely Chris. Since I posted this, I've been reliably told by Joe Bloggs (not his real name) that they probably could run it with a little private sponsorship, yet I suppose they're not in it to just break even like any other business. No government should have to prop up ANY sport, yet if its football, that's a different story. The AMF brought many people in from interstate, yet obviously not enough for the government to justify throwing some cash behind it. I've wanted to enter it myself every year, but to me even the hills tour groups are horrendously expensive, including what you did. I'm just disappointed I won't get to see that much exotic machinery on track in such a great place at one time, yet at least I got to see 2 962's on track which has been a bucket list item for me

For the 4 day tarmac rally (32 special stages including a day at the bend + AMF sprint stage) the cost was circa $2500.00. I'd happily pay it again, got more than our monies worth. I struggle to understand the huge amount of logistics to get an event like this to work, it's mind bending. You cant underestimate the amount of effort (by many, many people) in order to get an event like this to happen. If you want to go tarmac rallying expect to pay a few thousand for the privilege of closed roads. Entry fees for AMF are peanuts compared to Targa Tas (of any of the "Targa" events) so worth getting some perspective - these events don't run themselves and plenty of people are working for free. 

The event ended up being an expensive exercise for us given that we had travel, accommodation etc. A week away with a mate scaring the shit out of each other "priceless"

8 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Sounds like The Bend (aka the Shahin family) are trying to keep the Motorsport Festivals Victoria Sprint alive. News soon apparently

Unless they move the Adelaide CBD out to the Bend it’s not going to cut it. 

5 hours ago, hugh said:

The amount of conflicting information being released is worrying. 

I give up 🙄

I understand why The Bend would want to host it (bums on seats and cash in the till) and you wouldnt find a better motorsport ambassador than Sam Shahin (races Carrera Cup and Porsche GT3 Challenge), though as world class as the track and facilities are, it won't be anywhere near as intimate as Victoria Park and basically just another track day. Its too far away from Adelaide to receive anywhere near the same crowd attendance when all costs (travel, entry, drinks, hot dogs and other crap for the kids...) are considered. I'd be amazed if they got a quarter of the public there. Personally, if it's going to be a racetrack, Mallala would be a better option, as its smaller, the crowd are closer to the action and it has more of a heritage feel to the place that would suit the old cars more than The Bend would. 

We'll just have to see what they come up with, though there would have to be a lot of exotic machinery on hand for me to go to The Bend