3.2 tidy up - getting excited!

sus911

A project that started about 6 years ago interrupted by various bike projects and meandering in all sorts of directions is nearing completion.

The original plan was to go all out, ITB's, cams etc. etc.

In the meantime, the value of these cars has gone silly, so this car being an original Aus delivered car, me 2nd owner 100,000k I decided to keep it pretty much stock with a few reversible enhancements. Leak down test and compression show a very healthy engine. So it basically got a detail, refresh, 35 year nip & tuck.

I'm hoping to get it in the car tonight & fire it up by the weekend. EXCITED!!!

IMG-1840.JPG

IMG-1842.JPG

A question for another 3.2 owner. What do you think a 1989 HK car in guards red with 57,000 kms on the clock in pristine condition with 100% 1st paint is worth in OZ? 

On 21/06/2019 at 07:46, WGA said:

A question for another 3.2 owner. What do you think a 1989 HK car in guards red with 57,000 kms on the clock in pristine condition with 100% 1st paint is worth in OZ? 

In this current market of good low km Aussie delivered cars not selling for $115k, it's a lottery with imports 

5 hours ago, Pork Chops said:

…..VEMS or Motec from a bloke in Qld who has PNP harnesses) and TRANSFORM your engine.  

PC,

Who is the bloke in Qld you refer to?

Also what's the backstory with your VEMS install.  On FB I recall you said there was a hiccup or two.

Mine's should be back at the tuner for it's tweaking this week.  Thank gawd, nearly there! 

• 1 month later...

Car has been registered under the historic scheme.

I did have a good go at the gear shift linkage bushings even though I thought mine were not too bad.

Holy crap! the shift rod bushing was nearly gone and what was left was the consistency of cottage cheese. I also replaced the ball cup bushing. It feels like a brand new car again and no play in the gear shift.

Funny but there are a few bushings throughout the car that appear to be made of the same material and all were perished to the same level:

-steering column bushing

-throttle linkage bushings on transmission

-gear shift linkage bushings.

There's probably more throughout the car but I haven't found them yet. Maybe the pedal cluster?

Me too Pete! I get the better end of the bargain driving up the hill!

Dying to see your build.

By the way, the 993 Bischoff HE's and the 2/1 M&K worked out a treat. It's a bit loud at idle but no droning or resonating at all and almost unnoticeable at cruising speeds. Car seems stronger everywhere.

Had it dynoed before leaving Sydney and the graph claims it's making 178RWP, about 8 more than it did with the standard exhaust. Their calculation of crank HP is 237.

Overall I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, both mechanically and aesthetically.

A couple of shitty pics...

P1010059.JPG

P1010060.JPG

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

@sus911 Yep, do the pedals too whilst you're at it. Get the brass ones I  a kit from Sierra Madre or whoever you buy from. Youll enjoy that job 😅, though I'd limber up with some Yoga if you're not taking the whole pedal cluster out

My girlfriend has just the soundtrack for that task. I may have to put it on repeat....

4 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

So aside from the heat backdate what are a few of the reversible tweaks done to the engine?  

P.S. It looks great!  Smart move keeping it original considering the increasing values

Thanks.

Engine apart from what I mentioned is stock. Motronic has a 911Chips by Steve Wong.

I have 3 iterations left for this chip but the AFR's are pretty good.