Fitting Historic Plates

Hi All,

I have an original Aussie 1984, 911Carrera Coupe on it's way to me and I hope to be picking up new Historic Plates tomorrow. The car is absolutely Schmick, and I'm just getting everything sorted before its arrival. How do you guys attach your Historic Plates so it looks neat and tidy on a classic. I'm assuming the hole locations won't line up with the car. Want something more secure than 3M tape, and don't want to risk damaging the paint.

I'm based in Sydney, so if there's something available locally let me know please.

Thanks. 

Thanks, I was actually trying to avoid this too. Yes, I'm very anal when things are really nice.

Thought there would be an off the shelf product you could buy that had offset holes, one you could attach to the car, and the other to the plate.

I have custom plates on my daily, and have drilled these plates to suit the car. Was hoping there was a nicer/cleaner solution for my first P car.

Niko

I’m thinking of buying some 4mm thick black “hair cell” finish ABS off eBay and cutting to size of a normal number plate on my bench saw to then use as a backing plate for my historic plates.  The ABS sheet Should cover up any sins hiding behind my current normal plates.

Thanks Gents.

Agree, I think the King Pin may be a bit too in your face for an older 911. The style/image posted by Harvs11 is what I had in mind, and was hoping there was an off the shelf item people were using. Looks like I'll need to make something up at work along these lines.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Yes, I did a search first and came across a previous forum discussion regarding the use of stickers. Looks like they are not legal, but think they do look good. I'll ask the question at the RTA this afternoon when I hope to be picking up my new plates.

FYI Café Racer, I was actually tempted by your Targa as it looked nice and was Aussie del etc. Preference was always for a coupe though. Funnily enough I was also tempted and actually enquired on the White Aussie Coupe you had a PPI done on. Looks like we have similar tastes.

Ultimately very happy with what I managed to secure, and fingers crossed it's a long term keeper. Could never have imagined I'd own such a nice 911. Good Luck with your car.

Philip from https://www.lakinplates.com.au/ can make you up something that will fit beautifully. 

I had him do some for my 996. Gave him photos and measurements of where existing holes were and he sorted a bracket that fit those, then suited my slimline NSW plates. 

In my case went for a slight curve on the front to follow the shape of the bumper, and for it to be tilted down. A lot better than the factory bracket. Also allowed proper alignment on the rear, which was drilled to suit a larger plate...

He also has covers which I ordered at the same time. 

9BB27E95-ACE0-485C-8935-D84CE24AC96C.jpeg

54C714F3-636B-41E6-8C7D-3D8B832AF594.jpeg

360517CA-09D6-45BE-90CF-EFF74F00233F.jpeg

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

Am unsure how legal this is however have seen quite a few people with small historic plate stickers on the front of the car as opposed to a dirty big plate.

I’d love to know how this works! Have seen stickers and what look like plastic ones on cars getting around. Wonder if it’s just a case of they do it until caught?!

9 hours ago, Nikos said:

Champion. I'll shoot off an enquiry now. That looks great.

Will find out from the RTA re stickers and report back for future ref.

Please do as I need to put historical on the SC next month. A mate has a few cars with numeric plates and only displays the plastic ones, I’ll ask him how it works as well and revert as everything on the rta points to display the issued plates

update: he has had replicas made And displays them and keeps the original enamel plates stored at home. His view is the fine if it was to ever happen (has been doing this for 10years)  is not as much as organising new/replacement enamel plates as they are apparently often stolen.

For the Victorians, the historic plates in NSW are tiny and easily fit within the perimeter of the mounting holes of normal plates.  Consequently we can either fill and repaint the bumper bar and redrill to suit or use a backing plate to make use of the existing holes and mount the new plate to this adaptor.

A pain either way!

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

For the Victorians, the historic plates in NSW are tiny and easily fit within the perimeter of the mounting holes of normal plates.  Consequently we can either fill and repaint the bumper bar and redrill to suit or use a backing plate to make use of the existing holes and mount the new plate to this adaptor.

A pain either way!

What a pain.  At least in Vic the club/historic plates are a standard plate size, although they don't come in a slimline size. One size fits all.

I came across this solution for mounting NSW plates using a plain custom plate as a backing plate

http://www.classicjalopy.com/2017/09/mounting-nsw-historic-plates/

14 hours ago, Nikos said:

Thanks Gents.

Agree, I think the King Pin may be a bit too in your face for an older 911. The style/image posted by Harvs11 is what I had in mind, and was hoping there was an off the shelf item people were using. Looks like I'll need to make something up at work along these lines.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Yes, I did a search first and came across a previous forum discussion regarding the use of stickers. Looks like they are not legal, but think they do look good. I'll ask the question at the RTA this afternoon when I hope to be picking up my new plates.

FYI Café Racer, I was actually tempted by your Targa as it looked nice and was Aussie del etc. Preference was always for a coupe though. Funnily enough I was also tempted and actually enquired on the White Aussie Coupe you had a PPI done on. Looks like we have similar tastes.

Ultimately very happy with what I managed to secure, and fingers crossed it's a long term keeper. Could never have imagined I'd own such a nice 911. Good Luck with your car.

Thanks mate, I do miss the red targa, if only I had a bigger garage!

What have you ended up buying?

22 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Am unsure how legal this is however have seen quite a few people with small historic plate stickers on the front of the car as opposed to a dirty big plate.

Illegal here in SA, so I imagine everywhere else is too

Picked up my new Historic Plates after work on Friday. Sorry but was too nervous something was missing on my paperwork and it would fall through and forgot all about asking about stickers as rego plates.

In regards to what I ended up buying, it's a 1984, 911 Carrera Coupe in Quartz Grey. Amazingly original and with only 184,000km's. It was far more than I was wanting to pay, but the car is far better than I could have imagined. It's got the classic look I prefer without the tail, and in a colour that looks amazing and is not very common. I'd love to find out the history of it, as it was originally sold through a Melbourne dealership. Spoke with Duttons who sold the car in 2017 with 177,000km's, but they couldn't really help apart from confirming it's a very honest clean car.

37 minutes ago, Nikos said:

. I'd love to find out the history of it, as it was originally sold through a Melbourne dealership. Spoke with Duttons who sold the car in 2017 with 177,000km's, but they couldn't really help apart from confirming it's a very honest clean car.

Sounds like a nice purchase, some photos would be fab when you get a chance.

havinng bought cars from Dutton’s it’s always hard as they source cars from both owners and wholesalers so they don’t always get the history. One I purchased was from a deceased estate via a wholesaler and whilst it had a lot of documentation I had to do a lot of calling around and google to get some of the info.  If you can trace where it’s been recently serviced you could start there to back track it.   I would even try and contact some PO if details exist as I’m sure they would love to chat.

Good luck with the search,  in my book it’s half the fun of a classic. 

Thanks Tips.

Yes I agree going through the service books shows where the car has been, and would be the best place to start regarding previous history.

Best I can do regarding photos of the car is a link to the Duttons Sold section which still shows the car. Previous owner has fitted a Portotipo(?) wheel and I now have the original wheel in storage. As good as these photos look, it actually looks better in person.

https://duttongarage.com/Porsche-Carrera-Coupe-dr-Man-sp-i-Rel-Jan~22265

23 hours ago, Nikos said:

Thanks Tips.

Yes I agree going through the service books shows where the car has been, and would be the best place to start regarding previous history.

Best I can do regarding photos of the car is a link to the Duttons Sold section which still shows the car. Previous owner has fitted a Portotipo(?) wheel and I now have the original wheel in storage. As good as these photos look, it actually looks better in person.

https://duttongarage.com/Porsche-Carrera-Coupe-dr-Man-sp-i-Rel-Jan~22265

I enquired on that car, it does seem we have similar tastes! What a great car, am sure it will bring years of joy. Congrats on the purchase. 

Update.

I made some offset Aluminium Plates at work on Friday. Used some 25x6 flatbar. C/Sunk Holes to mount the flatbar to the Car with some Nylon washers behind them to keep them off the car slightly, then put some Blind Tapped holes in Aluminium to mount the Historic Plate onto. Did a sketch, and laid everything out on CAD to get the correct hole locations and came up a treat. I can now confirm the thread size on the rear bumper is M5. I'll now get these powder coated black to tidy them up, and I may also put some covers on, provided they won't look dickie.