Sage advice required

So I have had my 71e on the market for a while and no dice.

Aussie delivered sporto fully restored non matching numbers now with 915 5 speed.

The market is a strange place at times and It would appear to me that currently anything but concourse, matching numbers cars are not in high demand (unless heavily discounted)

A huge fan of longhoods and a good project I bought it as a 930 look bitsa with a slate grey hotrod in mind.

Despite what I wanted I thought I was being sensible with an eye on resale and got caught up in originality, narrow body, back to original Bahia Red (not a big fan of red), sourced a correct 2.2e engine and endless other original parts.......which in the end have not delivered a speedy sale.

All that aside I’m keen to do a hotrod project with a bit more power, colour change, slight flare to the rear along with a few more things and have been looking at options which either need a heap of bodywork Andy the rest.

So if it were you would you hold out for a buyer and start over with a new project from scratch, rust repairs  ++++++

or..... take the rust free, everything done car I have, strip it, change engine and hotrod it to my taste?

2AD21D0E-804D-45A3-93D2-753A05CDBAEB.jpeg

Hi Ash,

We spoke about your car and you know my thoughts regarding what the Aust delivered buyers pool want.

If I were you I would keep it and build in into the hot rod you want, but maybe stay away from lots of welding or metal work. Perhaps look to 911R or other narrow body hotrod themes.  I think the red could work with say contrasting bumpers or other less drastic changes than a full colour change (and if you’re still not happy then you don’t have much to undo or redo if you did decide on a full recolour).  Happy to discuss ideas in more detail over the phone.  

As you know, I hotrodded my Aussie delivered 73E (which had also lost its original engine prior to me getting hold of it) and have never looked back. 

Modify what you have is my opinion.

You already have the car and the vision of modifying one, so that saves the headaches of selling yours, sourcing another car which could have major rust and mechanical problems and starting again. You already know what you have, so that way you can assess your budget and what you want to do.

As soon as I saw the pic of your car, I thought a period correct 911R would be my taste. Pumping the guards a bit will give you a little bit of an ST look about it (unless you go the whole hog and widen the shit out of them as per ST), yet those who I speak to that are considering backdating or modifying their post '74 or pre '73 cars want the 911R or ST look.

Depends how fast you want to go, yet if I was in your position I'd keep it as a 2.2 for a little bit of period correctness, or jump in at the deep end an grab a 3.0. 

Dont be scared to make subtle mods to an original car to suit YOUR taste, yet make them easily reversible. As for a color change, why not just wrap it? Would save a shitload of cash, and if you get bored you can easily remove it

This sort of thing is what I'm thinking

Cl4-Qe-VGWYAEb-L0.jpg

Tricky one, I thought you were around the mark with your pricing, but clearly not.

I think one reason is that for the past few years just buying the right early 911 guaranteed strong value growth, however now that the market has stalled/slowed there will likely be no increase in value for the next few years.

So the idea of paying market value for a car doesn't make as much sense.

The idea of selling collectable Porsche at a discount to market value also doesn't appeal, but I think that's what it takes

Unless you have a new donor car lined up you would also know that whatever you buy will have more issues, take more time and cost more money than you allow to get it where you want it to be.

Ash,

For me the appeal of a hot rod is in the detail, particularly an early narrow long hood like yours.

Perhaps the additional power could be addressed by a nice centre 2 out sport muffler, I wouldn't be putting aside the MFI motor.

Externally, remove the deco trim from the bumpers and tape them and add side decals.

Remove the centre caps, fit 205/60 section tyres and a slight lowering, if the budget allowed some 7R rears but they are shockingly expensive.

Done.

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

Agree with what others have said go for a R or outlaw look ,,,,,HP mods to engine and everything else to go with it,,, and enjoy her ,,,if I purchased a car like that ,,I would go down that route ,,,make it your personal ride ...

I must say I like what this guy has done ,its not over the top and goes with the cars vintage ..All about having fun in my mind .

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1969-porsche-911-t-manual/SSE-AD-5729663/?Cr=0

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Agree with what others have said go for a R or outlaw look ,,,,,HP mods to engine and everything else to go with it,,, and enjoy her ,,,if I purchased a car like that ,,I would go down that route ,,,make it your personal ride ...

I must say I like what this guy has done ,its not over the top and goes with the cars vintage ..All about having fun in my mind .

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1969-porsche-911-t-manual/SSE-AD-5729663/?Cr=0

That’s a great car . 

41 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

That’s a great car . 

Yes its well done and I think Ashbaxster has a fantastic car to build off and create any of the cars pictured above ,Imagine a red version of epilots silver car WoW     :cool07: ,,look forward to seeing him going a head with this sort of build .. 

Thanks for the replies and general consensus is aligned with what I’m thinking

The ‘69 looks great and is well done but has been on the market for some time confirming the current market.

Craig, your ex racer hotrod looks the goods locked away in the museum there 👌

Ash,

My view is don't touch it, just drive it more! 

I saw your magnificent car when it was displayed with mine at the Newcastle Porsche In Motion.

Owning these cars for me is the experiences they give you and that means drives and weekends away.

I've noticed on these outings the actual car doesn't matter, they're all good and they all seem to arrive at destinations at about the same time irrespective of how frantic the pace is.

There is also a view that happiness comes from being content with what you have and I reckon you've got a lot of reasons to happy.

So the only thing it needs I think is more stone chips ! 😊

14 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Ash,

My view is don't touch it, just drive it more! 

I saw your magnificent car when it was displayed with mine at the Newcastle Porsche In Motion.

Owning these cars for me is the experiences they give you and that means drives and weekends away.

I've noticed on these outings the actual car doesn't matter, they're all good and they all seem to arrive at destinations at about the same time irrespective of how frantic the pace is.

There is also a view that happiness comes from being content with what you have and I reckon you've got a lot of reasons to happy.

So the only thing it needs I think is more stone chips ! 😊

Yes I know, first world problems.

Having not long completed my third annual 1000+ Kim road trip with 4 other guys in early cars you are spot on, they are to be driven and enjoyed and it is.

But...here we go (deep breath).............my name is Ash and I’m a Porscheaholic 🤪 early stages 

4 hours ago, DJM said:

Richard Tuthill says sweet spot is long hood, narrow body, small tyres and a small high revving engine with not a lot of power.......

Mr Tuthill subtly promoting his core business there I reckon 😁

He is right though, as theres just something about the sound of a small capacity flat 6 revving its head off