My pair reunited

Since I bought the Boxster my beloved 944 Turbo (purchased in 2003) has been in storage, so yesterday saw them both at home for the first time.

In their different ways I love both of them, and certainly wont part with the 952, but cant see me driving it again until September as I'm moving house in 2 weeks and its off to its new barn for a while.

Almost 500,000km acheived between them btw. Each has character.

IMG-8753.JPG

This is interesting.  I'm just sitting here this morning doing up an add for my 944S2 as I want to get something a bit more modern.  You drive the Boxster more than the 952 - because of the Mod Cons or something else?

Good question, prompting some thought on my part.

I couldn't get both my kids in the 944 anymore so bought a 4x4 which took its space on the drive (partners car took other one but she's vacated now). Garage already occupied, so the 944 went into store. 

I spotted the Boxster for some summer fun as it was too cheap to turn down and can be parked anywhere. I could have brought the 944 out I suppose - don't know what I didn't...

I do find the Boxster easier to drive - 944 really needed a new clutch, and love cabriolets. And given its age and value, I much prefer the older car garaged now. It does feel much lighter, modern, doesn't have that old car aroma and feel, is more economical (who cares about that though) and well, fun. But with a garaging crisis one of them is probably going to have to go next year and it cant be the 944. Dilemma....

12 hours ago, 944Tman said:

I couldn't get both my kids in the 944 anymore so bought a 4x4 which took its space on the drive (partners car took other one but she's vacated now). Garage already occupied, so the 944 went into store. 

I spotted the Boxster for some summer fun as it was too cheap to turn down and can be parked anywhere. I could have brought the 944 out I suppose - don't know what I didn't...

I do find the Boxster easier to drive - 944 really needed a new clutch, and love cabriolets. And given its age and value, I much prefer the older car garaged now. It does feel much lighter, modern, doesn't have that old car aroma and feel, is more economical (who cares about that though) and well, fun. But with a garaging crisis one of them is probably going to have to go next year and it cant be the 944. Dilemma....

Easy fix, move into a smaller house with a bigger garage, keep them all......problem solved :Beer:

15 hours ago, 944Tman said:

I was driving my S2 as a daily - awesome.  Was getting the poops driving through traffic in a manual though.  Bought a Golf GTI - great car to drive as a daily. 

Love my 944 but wife hates it.  Wife hates the idea of me driving my son around in it - thinks it is unsafe because it doesn't have airbags - sigh. 

Agree the Boxster is the best value in Porsche at the moment - I think if the S2 goes I'd have to look at them pretty seriously.  How do you find the road noise?  I drove a Cayman S recently & it was by no means quiet. 

Love the 968 spoiler on your Turbo,  I've been trying to find one forever.

The 986 Boxster is disappointing quiet from the engine but road noise is fine - tyre noise no issue but my front tyres are new, wind management is good though I'm 6'3" so do stick out of the top a bit. .

But the S2, and I did over 40,000 safe miles in mine, has excellent avoidance ability through handling, grip and braking. What does your wife drive with your son in it - would that get her out of trouble ? Obviously you risk a domestic here though....

My Turbo is a 952 model so comes with the bridge spoiler. The earlier 220bhp 951 has the same rubber spoiler as your S2. Might have more luck sourcing one from Europe ?

Stepo - you are a scholar. I thought I had it all sorted when I was buying huge new premises for my business but back to the drawing board on that...

952 is simply right hand drive(and 951 LHD), not M44/52 engine. It is a common misconception but both cars are 952's. any part unique to RHD turbo parts have 952 part numbers, regardless of year or engine and hence why rhd are 952's. Alll common parts to both LHD and RHD are 951 numbered. Bridge spoilers were fitted to 1990 models

Jason how old is the child (?) as under a certain age/height, an airbag will cause more harm than good and why small children shouldn't be in the front of cars with airbags. It's not a 968 spoiler , its a bridge spoiler fitted first to late 944 turbos. Might help when you are searching for them ;)

On 30/07/2019 at 22:04, cyberpunky said:

Jason how old is the child (?) as under a certain age/height, an airbag will cause more harm than good and why small children shouldn't be in the front of cars with airbags.

Thanks & yes I am across all this & it all makes perfect sense but try explaining this to my wife.  For her - old car means unsafe car!  For her no airbags means instant death, fire, Apocalypse, 4 Horsemen, rabid locusts, yada yada yada...... It's tiresome & irrational but what are you going to do?

On 30/07/2019 at 22:04, cyberpunky said:

It's not a 968 spoiler , its a bridge spoiler fitted first to late 944 turbos. Might help when you are searching for them ;)

My bad, :ph34r: Sometimes I just find it easier to just refer to it as the 968 spoiler (as I've found when I inquire re the '91 944 hoop or bridge spoiler people (less well informed perhaps) invariably say, "Oh you mean the 968 spoiler".  Rare as hens teeth sadly & dearer than diamonds when found.  Boohoo for me 😁.

On 30/07/2019 at 14:43, Jason E said:

I was driving my S2 as a daily - awesome.  Was getting the poops driving through traffic in a manual though.  Bought a Golf GTI - great car to drive as a daily. 

Love my 944 but wife hates it.  Wife hates the idea of me driving my son around in it - thinks it is unsafe because it doesn't have airbags - sigh. 

Agree the Boxster is the best value in Porsche at the moment - I think if the S2 goes I'd have to look at them pretty seriously.  How do you find the road noise?  I drove a Cayman S recently & it was by no means quiet. 

Love the 968 spoiler on your Turbo,  I've been trying to find one forever.

Same dilemma with wife saying 968 doesn't have airbags so unsafe (it did have one but took it out). I did have thoughts of making the 968 a turbo RS but after talking to Fitzy after the last one he built I decided to spend the money on something else as I would never recoup the cost. 

My wife said "if you are going to get something make sure it has plenty of safety features and is auto for when I have to drive it". It was an M135 - so I now have a 3Lt Turbo I wanted for the $40G (minimum). I said to her " it is safe and is auto, just don't play with the buttons".

It goes like a cut cat in acceleration but is still not as quick as the NA 968 on the short tracks and hill climbs. i did enjoy it climbing the mountain at Bathurst though but for shear driving pleasure it is still the 968, which shall remain !

Cheers, Mark.

On 27 July 2019 at 10:09, Jason E said:

This is interesting.  I'm just sitting here this morning doing up an add for my 944S2 as I want to get something a bit more modern.  You drive the Boxster more than the 952 - because of the Mod Cons or something else?

Of course you realise that they will be an inquiry and review of your membership in the Front Engine Preservation Society.   

10 hours ago, 9fan said:

I decided to spend the money on something else as I would never recoup the cost. 

This is one of the great dilemmas isn't it.  You spend a BUNCH of money bringing a 944 back to life & it is worth little  relatively in dollar value.  Smiles only get you so far if you want/ need to move it on.  

10 hours ago, 9fan said:

It goes like a cut cat in acceleration but is still not as quick as the NA 968 on the short tracks and hill climbs...... though but for shear driving pleasure it is still the 968, which shall remain !

I drove mine on a spirited drive recently & started gushing again when we stopped for breakfast.  They are hard to let go.  My GTI has amazing performance for what it is but I agree - if I had to choose which one to drive - it'd be the S2.

1 hour ago, brian in buddina said:

Of course you realise that they will be an inquiry and review of your membership in the Front Engine Preservation Society.   

I'm ready to give evidence.

I do find it sad that the world has been conditioned to believe that airbags =  a safe car....

I would rather put my son in the back of my 928 over just about any car, thankfully my wife sees and understands (and agrees with) my view.

Go the older car every time 😎