Happy With Your Driving Style

T-Man

Unlike many of my compatriots on this forum, I haven't owned a Porsche for very long. Many of you are on your second, third and even fourth P-car.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is massive room for improvement in my driving style. I'll be the first to say that I really don't fully get the 993. How many of us bought a Porsche with these huge expectations that it would transform you as a driver and you would become possessed with a Sennaesque type of spirit allowing you to dance on the limit of the car's abilities without even breaking a sweat or popping a shoulder. Let's face it, not many of us would have the skills required to fully exploit these babies. Over the last few months I've put all the good handling bits on it. Bilstein Pss10s, RS engine mounts, sticky tyres etc, in the expectation that I would become the driver I truly wanted to be. How wrong have I been.

What I have come to understand a little better after last weekend's SMT is how poor a P-car driver I really am. Admittedly I may be a little harsh on myself and what I think I really mean is that I didn't really understand the cars limits and abilities. I have become convinced that to really understand my car I need to get out to some driver training where I can take it to the limit under safe supervision so I can more so get at what point it will bite me back.

We have some wonderful drivers among us. Those that understand their own limits, their car's limits and of course the respect of the road/speed limits! Every time we go out I try to pick up a little something from watching the driving style of others and over the last few months I've learnt a great deal but am still off the mark.

How do you rate yourself as a driver????

Any takers???

I'll bite...

My 911 scares the begeezus out of me at times! But when you get it right... :D

On my first track outing in entree with the PCV, my instructor took the wheel and showed me what my car was really capable of. WOW!!

When I drove in the next session, I realised there and then that I had no clue about driving anywhere near the limit. I have a whole new respect for driving on the roads now.

Any good quality driver training can only make you more aware of the difficulty of driving well/safely.

Get on to a closed track, learn how your particular car behaves and hopefully enjoy your driving even more.

Harv.

PS. I hope this doesn't come across too preachy

One important point whether Track or especially Road - it is not your cars limits - its not even your limits :

It is Reading the Road ahead of you - looking at those dips in the road, looking through the corners, looking at the road surface/condition, looking at the way you enter corner to know how you will exit, feeling the balance of the car as you enter the corner, looking to see what the road edge is like, looking to see what the runoff is like if you go wide, looking to see what traffic is ahead.....

It is LOOKING and processing that info quickly and reacting correctly - which comes with experience - better done on a track.

The point that it will bite you back, especially on the Road - will always change !

If you don't like what you see or feel - Back Off !

At least I have a stick, to help feel where I am going ! :)

Theo, have to agree, I'd love to get some tuition on a track, and then I would do entree classes, but up front I'd love to see what someone else can do in my car, and then learn to trust it more. If that sounds strange sometimes I think I'm reluctant to push it in case I break it, and I don't just mean hitting something but mechanically.

Wonder if we could get our own John Bow driving day or something similar at sandown.........I think it would be great to do it with people you sort of know as well

Peter

Really good discussion and great advice from Barry and Mark. As Clint Eastwood said " A mans gotta know his limitations"!!

When I first bought a Porsche over 10 years ago my wife organised some driver training which I am really grateful that she did. i followed it up with some more and did a couple of track days. Always learning more and more about how to safely drive just as much as how to drive fast.

I never really felt that I became one with the 930 and felt it could bite me at any time. Earlier this year on an SMT I had an epiphany and after 4 years in the 993 suddenly felt at one with the car. Slow in fast out and always keeping it smooth. Mark's advice about looking is spot on and I am always looking at the next corner and getting setup for that. I do consider myself slow and certainly that's why I tend to run towards the back of any group I am with. I don't want to hold anyone up and I don't want to feel pressure to go quicker than I want. Always making sure that I find a place to pull over so if there is someone clearly quicker than me that I don't ruin their experience by holding them up.

Thanks for contributing Barry and Mark, excellent advice from both of you.

Cheers

C

Thanks Chris & spot on Mark. Look up and forward always. You should never (rarely?) have to look at your speedo to see how fast you're going. Besides - it might scare you. The one in my race car is disconnected for a reason!!

And remember -

Anybody can drive fast in a Porsche.

But to drive a Porsche fast takes talent.

... sometimes I think I'm reluctant to push it in case I break it, and I don't just mean hitting something but mechanically...

Peter, the aircooled cars are pretty tough.

If your car is properly maintained, a track day is unlikely to do it any real harm.

The only exception to this is if you grab a wrong gear in a moment of excitement and "buzz" the engine.

On the Sunday cruise I always say, don't worry about others, do what is comfortable for yourself and keep a good distance if following.

You don't necessarily have to pass someone,,especially on the twisty bits where their are few opportunities. Just fall back then catch up again, so people don't feel pressured and you all still enjoy the experience.

Thanks Chris - Cheers,Mark.

Good on you Mark. I feel more comfortable getting out of the way when there is an appropriate place to allow this to happen safely. As I say then I don't feel pressured and I don't feel like I have ruined someone else's experience. I have had others pull over and let me through when it was safe to do so which I really appreciated..... But I always make sure I let the masters like yourself go well before me :D

Cheers

C

Agree with points made above.

The first thing I did when I bought my 911 was to get some training...which is ongoing.....and no doubt will be for years to come!

I have attended many Events O'Neill track days at Sandown, which I have found to be very helpful, as you get plenty of track time, with unlimited training, and in a 'safe' environment. They sort you into levels of experience, to reduce the pressure of being on the track at the same as experienced /faster cars, which can be daunting.

I think you have overcome the biggest hurdle, in that you recognise your limitations...as there are plenty that don't and get themselves into allot of trouble!

Mike

Chris,

Thanks for the compliment (I know where you are coming from - like you say it is No competition) - but I am certainly no Master !

The cars make us look good ! :P

Cheers,Mark.

Mark,

you say you're no master, but what I saw of your driving on Presidents day put me at ease being a passenger with you on the track. Generally I'm the worst passenger. You were always looking at the next corner, never rushed and always calm and in control.

I learnt quite a bit from you in just a few minutes.

Thank you.

Mark,

you say you're no master, but what I saw of your driving on Presidents day put me at ease being a passenger with you on the track. Generally I'm the worst passenger. You were always looking at the next corner, never rushed and always calm and in control.

I learnt quite a bit from you in just a few minutes.

Thank you.

Mark,

I have to agree with Harvs11, you seem to have a good handle on it,

I too benefited from watching you in action.

I thoroughly enjoyed being a passenger in your hot CS, what a blast.

Thanks for a geat ride Mark.

Theo,

I consider my self a pretty average driver even though I am on my 4th P-car,

I sold my previous P car well over 6 years ago and find I am learning all over again

but I must say that I am having heaps of fun doing it especially with a great bunch of guys from this site.

Great subject and thanks for posting Theo.

I was involved with go karting for a few years and I was lucky to have a naturally gifted buddy in it with me. He had raced motorbikes at a very high level, was a mechanic by trade and his father was one of Australia's best aircraft engineers. He taught me a lot during those years. He was methodical, so we only ever made one change to the kart at a time, and then evaluated which direction the change took us(faster or slower, did it make it over steer more or push more etc).

He also taught me to look down the track, and also that if you look at something, you will usually hit it, so never look at that pot hole or debris on the track/road, look at the way past it. He wisely made us stick with the entry level J motor, rather than moving to a more powerful S motor, as it meant you had to be smooth and avoid washing off speed to maintain a good pace and racing line, as you didn't have power to cover any mistake.

All laps were timed, and each session was followed by a debrief. In the end we used to be faster that a lot of guys driving Karts with S motors, and we could see where they were making mistakes giving us chances to pass. One of the things I learned, and it was one of the most important, was that there is always more to learn, about your self, about your vehicle, about the track, and that you can never think. you have mastered any of these things. It's an on going process

Another thing I learned was that no matter how fast I was, my buddy was always a few tenths quicker, always ! Even when I matched his time, he would go out and beat it lol

edit: forgot to mention that to me it is not about how you rate as a driver, all that matters is enjoying the experience these cars bring whatever you or your cars ability maybe, provided you stay within the limits of both

peace

Cyberpunky

Something I have always found is good to learn about driving a 911, is driving Go Karts.

Even if it is at a Karting centre, the basic balance and the behaviour is very similar.

The discipline is exactly the same, and method the same.

As Mark said looking ahead and around you is very important, you will find, after a short while, find this will happen without thinking about it.

Smoothness is key, so the car stays balanced, with 911's you can steer them with your feet when you know how.I have often said to people you set the course with the steering wheel and adjust it with your feet!

Above all it all comes down to feeling comfortable in the car and having confidence.

A lot of people try to go fast straight away and are all over the place.

The best advice is to firstly concentrate on being smooth and flowing in your movements and actions, as that improves then speed naturally follows!

Just my 20 cents worth!

Great advice Mike. I just recently sold my Kart. Had a Tecno with 125 leopard water cooled. I got my first kart when I was 15 with a Mac engine and had one of the very first of the new generation Yamaha KT100's when they first came out. It taught me a lot about driving.

C

Archived