916 Tribute.

KERMIT

On 09/05/2021 at 07:48, Oldskl60 said:

Oh this is beautiful to watch coming together.  Very nice attention to detail and obviously lots of 'thought'.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks a lot for the comment, helps to make it worthwhile for all the running around and sometimes bullshit from Customs. Anyway, onwards  and hopefully upwards to have this baby finished by Xmas?? (That's the third time i've said that since ownership)

On 09/05/2021 at 07:48, Oldskl60 said:

Oh this is beautiful to watch coming together.  Very nice attention to detail and obviously lots of 'thought'.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks a lot for the comment, helps to make it worthwhile for all the running around and sometimes bullshit from a Government Department. Anyway, onwards  and hopefully upwards to have this baby finished by Xmas?? (That's the third time i've said that since ownership)

Once again Patrick Motorsports has saved the day with their gearchange kit. Turns out that there were some alterations made previously that didn't work for us, so we needed their expertise to keep moving on. I had a bit of a boxing match with Customs in regards to Duty and the standing FREE TRADE AGREEMENT between Australia and the USA. Turned out that not all the bits in the kit were made in the US, so I had to put my gun away!!!  I asked Patrick's to use the services of DHL, which I must admit were fantastic to deal with, rather than UPS who frankly, are bloody hopeless. Owned by the Germans, DHL do it with that cool efficiency that that they are so recognised for!

The battery tray, ex Boxster is in, along with the battery plus a kill switch for prolonged garage time. Adrian has done a ripper job of that. There's some rear "trunk" carpet on the way, along with a new tail light glass, both from Auto Atlanta. The carpet will match the front carpet that I purchased from AA back in 2019,when I thought the car would be done in 5 minutes; silly me!!!!   Also, there's another 915 shifter been ordered from Performance 9 in Q'land and Stan tells me it will be available to us next week. 

I reckon apart from two drive shafts, we're about there for parts required and aren't I happy about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The wheels seem to be taking a long time away ,but there's reason for that, so we'll go with the flow so to speak. 

Batt 1.JPG

Batt 2.JPG

Bits 1.JPG

New Kit.JPG

Amazing what you find when you go lookin!  I thought that the one fuel tank rubber mounting buffer that came with the car was it, but NO, there are two ,right and left. Who'd have ever thought there'd be two for balance?

Clamps for the catch can filter are on the way as well as Fresh Air Blower Drain.

• 2 weeks later...

The shifter mechanism is on its way from Queensland and should lob on Tuesday and to my surprise the bits from Retro Automotive Products in the States turned up today.

Bits 1_2653.JPG

Bits2_2656.JPG

Bits3_2654.JPG

That's funny, I see an Icy Cold Corona got into the picture; where'd that come from? Package might have gone via Mexico????

On 27/05/2021 at 16:23, KERMIT said:

Latest today is that the Targa Roof fits perfectly into the "rear trunk space" or BOOT for us locals, with plenty of clearance above the battery.

Targa Top_2644.JPG

Looks good :)

Did you decide to not fix the roof (as per Factory 916s) and maintain the ability to remove for open top driving? 

Yes that's pretty much it, but funnily enough the other cars I have came with a sunroof that I never use!!

I just came back from the mechanic's and to my great surprise, the engine's in the car. Mind you, it'll probably be in and out a few times more, but it gave us an opportunity to discuss mufflers and what we'll do about that.

"Never ending"! 

Hi Fella's. Ade got into this week and the following photos show the progress.

Unfortunately it all has to come out again as this is an exercise in checking available space. Its worked, as we now know that the torsion bars that make the boot lid go up and down have to come out. There needs to be min 20 ml separation distance between body and engine, no touching. 

Prog 1_2674.JPG

Prog2_2677.JPG

Prog3_2676.JPG

Prog4_2675.JPG

Prog5_2678.JPG

We're getting a bit excited right now as a lots happening. Engine Oil Line on its way from Performance 9 in Q'land as well as a box of stuff from Auto Atlanta, all needed to get it running at last!  I need to visit Trade Brake & Clutch today to get a couple of rear brake lines made as the existing are a tad too short, then to the VW Wrecker in Southern Rd to hopefully find an early VW accelerator pedal and it's associated bits?

X1_152322.jpeg

VW venture for parts was a fail, so we got the bits from PCM. Also decided on a new set of windscreen washer jets as the washer bottle was about to go in. I picked up the new rear brake lines, Ade installed them and when all assembled tried to bleed them and found the Master cylinder blocked, so that'll get sorted tomorrow.

I picked up the wheels this morning after Matt had the tyres fitted and bought them home. The valve protectors were removed during the process, so PCM included 4 of those with the washer jets.

The overall finish on the wheels is just fabulous, so I can't speak highly enough of the efforts that Matt and the crew at Wheel Solutions put in, but it's obvious that you can't get THE RSR dull finish with paint, as we have used. I'll look at them for a couple of weeks and decide what to do. It's either leave them like they are, or have the centre's painted satin black like the background, in other words like new 930 wheels looked. 

I'm going to include a photo of the new kid on the block and Porsche parts supplier, "Bunnings!" Their 80ml pipe and 90 elbow worked a treat!!! 

Airpipe_130807.jpeg

wheels_2707.JPG

Wheels12708.JPG

RSR style.JPG

A few more photos from this week. Brake Master Cylinder is at Trade Brake & Clutch for re-build. A new accelerator pedal from PCM arrived so we put the drivers seat in, got the driving position right and fixed the pedal in place. Two new washer jets to be installed, along with new washer lines. Oil was put into the engine and on cranking it's obvious that the oil pump is working properly, so we're happy about that. With luck, the bits out there in delivery land will all arrive this week which will possibly allow us to install the fuel tank, the fuel lines and fire the old girl up??????????   Should sound ACE, straight out as no muffler in site yet. Open the door about Friday, you might hear it!!!!

Cabin_2716.JPG

Coils_2712.JPG

rear brakeline1_152809.jpeg

Wash bottle_2717.JPG

Turns out the w/washer bottle has a leak, so some goo applied and waiting for it to dry before reinstallation. Just awaiting confirmation of the origin of the  brake master cylinder? It seems that it may be, dare I say it, "Mercedes Benz"??????  Once we know what it is, Trade B & C can get the kit and rebuild it. There was a Castrol sticker in the front space that was associated with Race Brake Fluid and a treacle like substance is in the brake lines. We figure that there was a mix of regular brake fluid and race brake fluid in there together and they don't mix well. A big flush will be carried out on re-assembly. I put two of the refurbished wheels on the car to see how they look??  Not sure yet!  Adrian has found two drive shafts of the right length, so some new bits as needed will come from PCM and that'll be done.

Wheel1_2724.JPG

Wheel3_2726.JPG

Wheel2_2727.JPG

I picked up the drive shafts and another engine pipe from A Class Powder Coating today and Baz proves again what a ripper bloke he is to deal with as they were only there a couple of days.

When I took them to Adrian (Hartech) he had completed the installation of all the new pipes upfront for the heating. All looks bloody terrific with the black pipes and the contrast of the yellow clips. The operating switch for the heating will be fitted soon, just not sure where yet?

I've been quietly concerned about the fitting of the engine lid, owing to the size of the engine, but Adrian installed it today and there are no clearance issues and it fits beautifully up against the boot lid/trunk lid. A little tweaking when it goes to Andy at Fabcoat for the body kit refitting. Same for the bonnet.

All the plumbing for the engine/oil system will be completed in the next few days.  Vroom Vroom noises getting closer!!   

Engine Lid_2750.JPG

Engine Lid fitted_140431.jpeg

Heater hoses in._141521.jpeg

Lid fits_140318.jpeg

More heating_141511.jpeg

pipe_2747.JPG

Drive shafts_2748.JPG

Edited by KERMIT
Forgot driveshaft photo

I picked up the Brake Master Cylinder from Trade Brake & Clutch yesterday, bought it home and gave it a couple of coats of black paint, letting it dry overnight. This morning a coat of clear completed the task and it's looking pretty cool. 

I dropped it down to Adrian (Hartech) and had a chat about the WEVO shifter that we may have an issue with? Reverse seems to be an issue  but to really know, the engine needs to be running and that's a little way off yet.

We also discussed the muffler issue and there seems to be two choices. First is two shotgun mufflers, which means cutting the two long sections of the heat exchangers and adding them in, before running two pipes, side by side out the back, same as GT3. The other is a 911 muffler across the rear, with a section cut out to clear the WEVO, then two outlets same as GT3.

I just remembered I had these two lots of photos as ideas of what the exhaust might look like. The second option is very expensive!

8_2669.JPG

Pre paint_2763.JPG

Pre paint 2_2764.JPG

Post paint_2766.JPG

Post paint2_2767.JPG

Tailpipe1_1962.JPG

Tailpipe 2_1959.JPG

Tailpipe 3_2500.JPG

Tailpipe 4_2501.JPG

Edited by KERMIT
Additional photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was pretty exciting when I saw Adrian (Hartech), as he had a jerry can hooked up, spark and the motec talking to all the right bits. The only thing that stopped us turning the key was the fact that there's no oil in the engine and I have oil pipes in my car to take to the powder coaters on Monday. A morning visit by me to Max saw us solve the exhaust question. Adrian, Max & I have decided on giving the GT3 side by side pipes idea the boot, also the RSR finish and going more with an original look. Max will cut the long heat exchanger pipe near the collector, install a muffler, then finish it off both sides with a Harley Pipe which is also baffled. Yes, I know it sounds out there, but look at the pics, how good is that??

Max also made a small clip that fits onto the top seam of the fuel tank, allowing the metal strap that holds the charcoal filter in place to be connected.

Another puzzle to appear is the running of the heater pipes, as it's getting pretty crowded down there. We think we'll run with a reducer for a bit and then back to the original diameter.

Getting closer to some NOISE!!!!

Harley1_2799.JPG

Harley2_2801.JPG

Harley3_2800.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys. Max was doing some work for Adrian last week so I wandered down and we had a discussion about the final exhaust look and agreed on two medium size semi baffled mufflers that Max found on ebay, in combination with the two Harley Pipes. No idea what it'll sound like but some consideration was given to both neighbours and the cops possible reactions? I'm not interested in discussions about how loud it is with either of them, so we'll take the soft option at this time. If it's too quiet, then we'll re visit the thing. Once lockdown # 478 is over, Max will come down and complete the work required. Great  to have two guys so interested in the outcome!

Max also took away the crash plate from the front underside of the car and remodelled it from LHD configuration, to RHD as per the photos. Baz from A Class Powder Coaters did it nice and quick for me and it's now with Adrian, once again as per the photos.

Adrian was fitting the seals for the engine bay and realised that the one that goes across the front was too short. It was the same length as the two side seals, so I got onto Auto Atlanta immediately. The correct one is on its way and I have sent the incorrect one back. Once that lobs, we can finish off the engine bay and install the engine for the last time.  

I forgot the engine seal photos.

Plate1_2813.JPG

Plate2_2812.JPG

Plate3_2813.JPG

Plate4_2822.JPG

Plate5_2826.JPG

Seals1_2823.JPG

Seals2_2825.JPG

Seals3_2824.JPG

Adrian (Hartech) called me on Friday night, suggesting that we might "light her up" on Saturday morning and " light her up we did"!!!!!

We only had the lightly baffled Harley Pipes pushed into the heat exchanger pipes for silencing, so take it from me, It was LOUD!!!!

First run in 10/12 years and all good, thank Christ!!

Maybe i'll   get a chance to do a little video next time?