Gday Folks!! 996 Q's

Hi Folks, 

Nice to meet you all! 

I have been in the market for another car and have been torn between an Aston V8 and a 996 TT.  I think I am now sold on the Porsche so am starting to get to work on the hunt for one. 😀

Having a look a look at redbook I can see a very large difference between values listed on their site and the ones listed on carsales. I am happy to pay for the right one however most of them are not moving, are ppl asking too much? Would love peoples insights into current values for these as a baseline to help guide.

Spec: 

- Man although should try a Tiptronic as well.

- Coupe

- Any Year

- Silver, Grey, Black, Dark Blue, White

Many Thanks! 

12 minutes ago, MaccaM said:

Hi Folks, 

Nice to meet you all! 

I have been in the market for another car and have been torn between an Aston V8 and a 996 TT.  I think I am now sold on the Porsche so am starting to get to work on the hunt for one. 😀

Having a look a look at redbook I can see a very large difference between values listed on their site and the ones listed on carsales. I am happy to pay for the right one however most of them are not moving, are ppl asking too much? Would love peoples insights into current values for these as a baseline to help guide.

Spec: 

- Man although should try a Tiptronic as well.

- Coupe

- Any Year

- Silver, Grey, Black, Dark Blue, White

Many Thanks! 

Just a view.  Not all 996 turbo manuals are alike condition wise and hence they  are priced accordingly or may sit for some time at said asking prices.  Good ones sell very quickly if priced right and it may be difficult to secure a clean one on a redbook budget.   I spent 2 years looking for a series 2  on a redbook budget a few years ago and got absolutely roasted on here for opining what they were worth on this forum. I.e    good luck with that budget  and as my first venture into P cars, was pointed the forum  door with comments like they are way too fast for me and  best I go buy  a corolla with my budget.  

So for a very biased view today as an owner, I reckon getting a clean, well looked after series 2, ( 2002 plus  build date and you can tell by having a glove box  ) manual tranny with lowish  k's ( circa under  80k) and your at 115k plus. I reckon like for like at least a 10k premium for a manual over an auto.

PS Not many venture down the path but I have q a strong view  that  a  996 turbo responds  the best to tweaking out of any P car model on a bang for mod buck return and was the main reason I brought one ( upgrade  from a 300awkw twin turbo in another German  mark). Driveability and fun factor for say a $6k outlay on easily  reversible   tweaks ( tune and exhaust ) and change out of aged rubber bits ( tranny , engine mounts) just transforms the in seat driving experience. Not convinced an Aston V8 can deliver the same pin you to the seat  3rd gear pull experience at WOT when you have at  at least 1 bar of boost ( tweaked) showing on the boost gauge  with the windows down.( mezger note above 5500 revs is pretty sweat). Its also pretty brutal, can get you twitching with a bit of rear end action and that 3rd gear pull   is extremely addictive and its  great all rounder in manual guise.

With a fist full of cash,  do your  homework, and with a ppi in hand on a select few,  negotiate hard.   

Autohaus Hamilton have a very nice looking 01 manual for $120k.  I had a good look through the photos on this one when I was thinking about alternatives if my 996 GT3 purchase fell through.  Speak to Scott, good man to talk to.  They also have a couple of Tips, so good option for you to be able to try both

Richmonds in Adelaide have got a beautiful black one for sale it’s been brought in from Singapore if you can live with that plus it’s a tip but I’m sure it could be bought for a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...

As a very recent buyer of a 996tt, I’ve spoken to all bar 1 of the current owners and inspected a couple. The Autohaus car has an interesting history - they don’t hide it but raises an eyebrow. 
If you don’t mind a little cosmetic work to make looking shmick, the lapis blue manual in Adelaide could be had cheaply - in the high $90s is my guess. 

I’ve had possession of my tt for 3 weeks and it’s simply the sweetest ride. Mind you it’s a car I’ve lusted after for a long time. As @smit2100 says, 3rd gear pulls like a freight train, makes you grin like an idiot 😁 every time. 

21 minutes ago, flamingporsche said:

As a very recent buyer of a 996tt, I’ve spoken to all bar 1 of the current owners and inspected a couple. The Autohaus car has an interesting history - they don’t hide it but raises an eyebrow. 
If you don’t mind a little cosmetic work to make looking shmick, the lapis blue manual in Adelaide could be had cheaply - in the high $90s is my guess. 

I’ve had possession of my tt for 3 weeks and it’s simply the sweetest ride. Mind you it’s a car I’ve lusted after for a long time. As @smit2100 says, 3rd gear pulls like a freight train, makes you grin like an idiot 😁 every time. 

Very big caveat on that.  You purchased wisely.  Eg some key mods came with your car namely a tune and exhaust   0.7 bar  factory boost  and a heavy muffled exhaust that is far from free flowing is far from feeling like a freight train.

On 04/03/2020 at 15:51, MARTY said:

Richmonds in Adelaide have got a beautiful black one for sale it’s been brought in from Singapore if you can live with that plus it’s a tip but I’m sure it could be bought for a reasonable price.

Down to $79k now. Nice looking car that one 

15 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Down to $79k now. Nice looking car that one 

Wow and I thought it was reasonably priced before the price drop just shows how much room for manoeuvre they have on price I think that started off closer to a $100k

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Reckon it was $120k a while ago @MARTY

Can teyla now, if my car was valued in that price range, I'd be there today doing a swap! 

It’s a great looking car @LeeM and surely at a price that can’t go much lower plus it’s a 996 you know you will end up with one some day😆

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

Superfund withdrawal!! Problem solvered!!

Super? I'm a contractor mate, what the hell is super? 😄

The bank just offered to up our redraw by far too much (incase we lose our jobs), so maybe I can convince her indoors I need a second Porsche? 🤔 Don't like my chances there 😄

(The local black 996 non turbo advertised on the forum would be top of my list if she did though)

30 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Super? I'm a contractor mate, what the hell is super? 😄

It's your decision to not contribute to superannuation (or some other savings plan for future old aged use) Lee.  You need to revisit that decision at a later time but no too late otherwise you'll have nothing when you retire.

2 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Withdrawing super = mistake.

Not necessarily Tingy.  It depends on what time is left in the saving phase - if you're < 45 then yes as compounding effects are lost.  But you could take the 10k out tax free, and put it back in for an extra deduction and bonus......or you could take the 10k out and parlay it into something with better return (I don't know what that is though...)....or you could take the 10k out and save losing your house or car that gets you to work each day etc and then it's not a mistake at all.

@jakroo  I'm well aware mate 👍😁 I have some sort of super from years of employment prior to becoming a contractor probably 15 years ago. I just have to look into it soon, as I'm told I might be going on the books as an employee in the near future. I've lived a very full life, and have spent more money than I'd care to add up with racing bikes n Karts, custom cars n bikes and chasing the ladies. That, and various stints of slow work and unemployment for the both of us, we've lost a shitload which has been hard to recover from. My 911 is basically part of my retirement fund 😁 

I've never been careful with money like I probably should have been, and not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to juggling finances, yet I've led a very full and exciting life more than most, and I have no regrets 😁 

@Rick V Yeah, Ben's car is a cracker mate. I'll put it to the missus to yank her super and get a loan 😁👍

9 hours ago, jakroo said:

It's your decision to not contribute to superannuation (or some other savings plan for future old aged use) Lee.  You need to revisit that decision at a later time but no too late otherwise you'll have nothing when you retire.

Not necessarily Tingy.  It depends on what time is left in the saving phase - if you're < 45 then yes as compounding effects are lost.  But you could take the 10k out tax free, and put it back in for an extra deduction and bonus......or you could take the 10k out and parlay it into something with better return (I don't know what that is though...)....or you could take the 10k out and save losing your house or car that gets you to work each day etc and then it's not a mistake at all.

Not sure what a better return is, ok not right now. Don't care what you say one will never get back the compounding interest that you will lose from withdrawing that 10k. Super is there for one reason, to help most people live a more comfortable retirement. Find another way to help keep the house or the car.