993 Targa Tip up for auction

https://www.tullochsauctions.com.au/lot/67299759/1996-porsche-911-993-carrera-targa/?cpage=4&q=&ref=catalog

Happy to assist anyone who wants extra piccies taken or any other assistance.  No affiliation, just rare for something like this to be auctioned in little old Launceston

Their expected price is $60-$80k, I suspect it won't even get to $60k seeing as there's problems with the key / ignition.

In the words of my mechanic -- "I've stayed right away from it from the info I was given.  Which says something - I normally get myself involved in too many headaches.  I haven't worked on the car.  Just a couple of phone calls and that was enough."  

I think that says it all, you would need to acquire this at an appropriate price to allow sorting out of these problems, and you certainly wouldn't be driving it to wherever you want it to go to.

As is usual, auctioneers like these amateurs have over inflated ideas of value, however, they are willing to go to the vendor with offers if the reserve (which is generally the lower of the expected sale value) isn't reached.  Otherwise the car will continue to be relisted, they reckon they usually get a better price 2nd or 3rd time around.  They're doing that with the Roller that's the prior lot no. in the same auction, think it got to $10,500 or so first time round, their expectation is $22k.....

I wouldn't think its an ignition problem but more likely a  Drive Block immobiliser fault.

It would be a good project if the price it right and you were not in a hurry to get it drivable as having the Drive Block bypassed would require the ECU, Immobiliser and fob being sent away.  Assuming a new fob and/or battery and reprogramming alone won't get it going.

The interior would clean up OK.  However, I would expect the engine would probably leak like a sieve after sitting for so long.  You would also want to thoroughly checkout the roof seals and function too.  

21 minutes ago, Peter M said:

I wouldn't think its not an ignition problem but more likely a  Drive Block immobiliser fault.

It would be a good project if the price it right and you were not in a hurry to get it drivable as having the Drive Block bypassed would require the ECU, Immobiliser and fob being sent away.  Assuming a new fob and/or battery and reprogramming alone won't get it going.

The interior would clean up OK.  However, I would expect the engine would probably leak like a sieve after sitting for so long.  You would also want to thoroughly checkout the roof seals and function too.  

Nice wrap up .. perhaps do a Targa roof ‘sikaflex’ delete

Lots of 993s on the market now, maybe people are buying 996s instead..

Has anyone found the VIN on this 993? I suspect this is the Targa that sold "quickly and quietly" from Melbourne in 2013 for about 30K. - no questions asked or answered!!!!

If it is that 993, it has an adventurous history, including going for a swim at some stage and questionable insurance claims. Regardless of this, I think it would be a nice D-I-Y project for 50K. 

27 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Has anyone found the VIN on this 993? I suspect this is the Targa that sold "quickly and quietly" from Melbourne in 2013 for about 30K. - no questions asked or answered!!!!

If it is that 993, it has an adventurous history, including going for a swim at some stage and questionable insurance claims. Regardless of this, I think it would be a nice D-I-Y project for 50K. 

Here you go:

20200601_131346_resized_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Zelrik911 said:

If correct, should also do a sikaflex door delete ..

It could be a good car if purchased for bottom dollar I’m sure it’s going to need  a fair bit spent on it to make it right,looking at the service records that car wasn’t driven for years with hardly any km’s over several years maybe that tells you something isn’t right with it?

Apparently final sale price was $56k, equates to $64.4k including buyers premium.  Good luck to whoever purchased it, presume no-one from here?  I'll see if I can find some info out as to whether it was Tassie or mainland purchaser.....

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 10:00, Zelrik911 said:

yes, a lot of OVER priced asking prices on 993's too!

Oil leaks, silicone to seal the roof, swimming experience, interior that needs attention, maybe over priced and it wont start. Yippie !! it is just what I was looking for and its 30K cheaper than anything else I can see on Carsales, which allows me spend quite a few $ to bring it back to life.

It will be on a transporter on its way to Sydney in the next few days where the main concern is to get it running, registered and then restoration, Interior colour change and maybe a manual conversion. So if you have any ideas on what you would do with it or have a manual gearbox and clutch peddle assembly please contact me. Peter M if you have any ideas on the Drive Block Immobiliser they would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I need to update my member profile.

Warren

9 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Oil leaks, silicone to seal the roof, swimming experience, interior that needs attention, maybe over priced and it wont start. Yippie !! it is just what I was looking for and its 30K cheaper than anything else I can see on Carsales, which allows me spend quite a few $ to bring it back to life.

It will be on a transporter on its way to Sydney in the next few days where the main concern is to get it running, registered and then restoration, Interior colour change and maybe a manual conversion. So if you have any ideas on what you would do with it or have a manual gearbox and clutch peddle assembly please contact me. Peter M if you have any ideas on the Drive Block Immobiliser they would be greatly appreciated.

Warren

Once you get it all finished- it should be a rewarding treat, not to mention it will be customized to exactly how you want it.  Good luck

10 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Warren

I hope it gets to you OK & its better than expected.

I think you will become a 993 ECU &  OBD1 expert soon. First thing would be to check out the ECU model number and see if its been untouched or "played with".

12 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Warren

You should start a thread so we can all watch you get this back to it's former glory

13 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Warren

Good job Warren.  I hope my posting of the sale here alerted you to it, and made it possible 🙂  It was interesting watching the bid sequences, and the big jump from $25k I think it was 🙂 Mate and I bought the 2 Boxsters the fortnight before, presume from same vendor.  There's also a 993 Cab from them coming up soon too.....