New Member - 77 Targa Sportomatic

Russ

Russ....Everybody (well nearly everybody) says never buy a green car, safety reasons, resale, looks crap ...blah blah blah...

Your car well and truly "flies in the face" of that thought pattern. Great colour.

thanks for all the compliments

i'm never selling it so the resale issue doesn't bother me! lol (and it was so cheap i could afford a full body respray in the purchase cost) but it's all original and i don't want to mess with it

plus i love the 70's ness of it - along with the tartan seats and the gunmetal finish door handles etc

Hi Mate

The Sporto I had was fantastic when it was working properly, but sometimes it wouldn't go into gear from a stand still, and had other change problems and finding someone, not who could repair it, but who had the knowledge, dedication and time to fix it posed a separate problem.

I bought it initially so the Speaker of the House would drive it, but somehow she ended up with a Boxster. ( No power steer in the SC was the reason !!!)

I did the normal thing and got a manual fitted . But when I checked the original build with PCM, I found it was a manual, so I was happy to have the car back to the initial build.

By accident, when buying something off EBay, I got talking to a guy in Brisbane who was involved in the actual conversion from manual to Sporto. Curiosity got the better of me, and I had to ask why it was done. Simply, the owner's wife couldn't drive it as a manual ,so he had it converted to a Sporto. I could think of other options, such as keep the car and change the wife.

Enjoy your car and your Sporto, mate. When working correctly the Sporto is great, and so easy to drive in heavy traffic. Just try and find some older P car mechanic who understands them.

Cheers

Ken

i've got T&D Automotive here fortunately, and Ted and the guys there know alot about them (including all the tricks to get them to work properly)

what'd you do with your old sporto box? i'm on the lookout for a 925 box

Russ....Everybody (well nearly everybody) says never buy a green car, safety reasons, resale, looks crap ...blah blah blah...

Your car well and truly "flies in the face" of that thought pattern. Great colour.

Green looks perfect on a 70's 911.

Spot the difference :)

ScreenShot2012-12-21at21034PM_zps640b9107-1_zps1c52e3c4.jpgScreenShot2012-12-21at21525PM_zps983fd001.png

A well sorted sporto' is a great thing - at some point in my '76 911's history, Phil Hearn from Auto Coupe in VIC added the extra (first) gear to the 925 box - definitely a world of difference compared with the standard 3-gears-only.

With Bob Whyms having rebuilt the box a few years ago, it is an absolute delight to drive, and never fails to put a smile on my face.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to find the user manual for the sportomatic.. so I can read how it works, when to change gears etc

I was wondering if you fine gents would mind either taking a photo of your manual if you have one OR explain to me how it works.

I is a bit confused by it.

Russ your car is a gem.. love the tartan.  I want tartan!!  :P

it says in the owners manual all sorts of recommendations on when to change..

i use L from 0-60, D2 from 60-100ish and D3 from then on (probably different with the later sporto boxes with an extra gear)

just don't rest your hand on the gearstick

i also don't use park much unless i'm on really flat ground (after having to rock the car back and forward when i parked on the lip of an indentation in the road and it got stuck in park)

Thanks for that Russ.  I imagine a day or two of city traffic and you'd be a gun at it.

So at the lights you'd leave it in L with your hand on the gearstick, thus engaging the clutch, lights change let go of gear stick and off it goes right?  And you can put the gearstick in a N position too at the lights?

Is there any dos and donts with a Sporto to look after the transmission long term?

apart from changing gears you never touch the gearstick, theres a torque converter so you can sit at the lights with your foot on the brake, and the car in gear and just drive off when you'd like. They'll take off in L (even in D3) but obviously it's quicker in lower gears.

the only thing i've been told is don't try and beat the syncro's, and it takes a little while for the clutch to move

most of the people that bag them have never driven one, sure they're not the fastest but they're something different

if you've driven a semi-automatic beetle it's exactly the same, i think there were a few other uses of the same sachs system

Electrically actuated, pneumatically operated clutch, manual gear selection through a manual gearbox and connected through a torque converter. Simple ??

The VW is a good fun car to learn on. Gear selection without the co-ordination issues.

Great seat fabric Russ , ask me how I know!  Well known Porsche 935 racing driver Gregg http://www.pbase.com/bernds_porsche_935s/chassis_numbers_brumos_93579chose the same Black Watch tartan. Now get some of these and you'll be set http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/250838945743?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes

gregg_tartan_9351344760762.jpg

thanks tazzieman, is that emerald green metallic on your car?

every time i get in my car i get more interested in getting the seat fixed, it's all ripped on the drivers side base

Archived