Yellow 74 targa

Samp

I just found out that my new acquisition which is midnight blue started life as yellow with some graphics on the side. I am planning on Re-spraying it from metal. I am interested to hear your thoughts as to whether to resort back to original yellow (which I don’t mind) or choose a colour of choice. I kind of like the darker colours. I am conscious of resale but not sure how resale is on a bright yellow car. Thanks in advance. 
PA. I am selling the swirly wheels if anyone is interested. 
cheers 

sam 

C0155F8D-AB38-4B43-A122-1E78E52AE9B7.jpeg

51DD4C53-1902-4F34-94D7-17DB03840FB3.png

Swirly wheels be gone!!! 👍👍👍👍

Value/resale wise, definitely the original colour is the sensible choice, and theres always a buyer mate. 

As for ''Ah bugger it, I want something else", possibly nardo or slate grey (kinda primer grey) or anthracite (gun metal greyish). Moss green? Black looks amazing on anything, yet after you wash it, its dusty in 14 seconds 😁 I swear I'll never own a black car ever again...probably 😁

Maybe Google some of those colours to see if they float ya boat

Slate grey

images-jpeg-54.jpg

If it's the original colour and you also like it, (I do too), go yellow. Love the look of a targa.

I'm pretty confident that resale will always be better on an original colour (even yellow), than a car that's been painted different from factory.

If the car is an original, Australian delivered, original engine car, then I would go with the yellow. The market seems to like originality. 

If the car has been converted, non-original engine, etc, then paint it whatever colour you like as I don't think it will affect the value. If you like darker colour aubergine is one of the best colours ever released by Porsche.

I agree with Lee and others on the original colour. The wheels will be easy to sell, but harder to find period ones to replace them with.  If you are really keen on originality and value adding - date, at least year,  matched.

PS Midnight Blue is one of my favourite colours ...

Yeah my 73 targa was also originally the pale yellow. If i was planning on going back to full original then it would be a certainty. However I prefer the later bright yellow and it's not in need of major body work so it's staying. I like that aubergine too. So many choices. Just make sure you renew all the mechanical wear items and suspension. Mine went from a terrifying death trap to a permanent grin generator for around $5K into the Pelicans gob. Enjoy it.

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2021 at 20:32, Pembo said:

Yeah my 73 targa was also originally the pale yellow. If i was planning on going back to full original then it would be a certainty. However I prefer the later bright yellow and it's not in need of major body work so it's staying. I like that aubergine too. So many choices. Just make sure you renew all the mechanical wear items and suspension. Mine went from a terrifying death trap to a permanent grin generator for around $5K into the Pelicans gob. Enjoy it.

What did you do for $5k that made such a difference?

12 minutes ago, Samp said:

What did you do for $5k that made such a difference?

Hey Samp. The car was imported from Arizona around 1990. Converted, wide bodied, painted and the engine rebuilt. Nothing else was done so all the components underneath were 1973 vintage and it was diabolical. I've done almost everything. Rebuilt the brakes, new brake lines, front wheel bearings, A arm bushes,ball joints, steering link inner joints, steering column bearings, droplink bushes, front and rear anti roll bushes, rear torsion bar bushes, front koni and rear bilstein shocks, engine and trans mounts,  fuel filter, fuel accumulator, fuel lines, plugs leads cap rotor points etc. Throttle link bushes, gear shifter bushes and links. Front trunk carpet and fan cover, new rubber weather seals in few places, new tail lights,  The Speedo and clock were just rebuilt and the wonky wheels are still in progress. Cost is up around $7K now but money well spent. When i get the time to pull out the engine i'll also do the rear wheel bearings and the front trailing arm bushes as they wont come out on a 73 without  dropping the trans or cutting the bolts. Valve adjustment and rocker arm resealing with the little o-rings. The lay shaft bearing bolt for the sump pump is stripped inside the case (tricky fix) but the only other leaks seem to be the rocker shafts. It only leaks a couple (or maybe a few) drops a day so not critical.

When the wheels are finished i'll probably put some quality Michelin rubber on them and keep the old Simmons for a while. Still a long list of things to restore but that's one of the reasons i bought it. First priority was to make it enjoyable and safer to punt around. i haven't had time to repaint everything as i go. I'll go back and spruce it all later. The 915 gearbox could benefit from some attention but it's still quite manageable.