911 won't take fuel

rminc

Hey everyone

Had a bit of a problem today at the service station. Went to get some fuel and as I normally put the pump in and pull the trigger, as I was pulling the trigger it would just click. It's as though the pump thought that the car was full, but it wasn't. 

I pulled the pump out slightly and it just made a mess with fuel on my front fender. Eventually I managed to get 20L in, but it took a while. Does anyone know what could cause this problem?

Also, what's the best way to remove fuel from paint? A wash would be the best option, but in a situation like today I just hosed the panel down quickly with water. 

Yeah , Same on the 6.2 , Its as though the bowser nozzle is on the wrong angle, Turning 90-180 o seems to get the gas to flow better , It seem to splash on the internal filler tube and set of the sensor in the hand piece. Not all servos just a few when you are on the road and need gas.

59 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I have the same issue on my Mitsubishi Pajero .. what works for me is to pull it out slightly and tilt it downwards so that the tip of the nozzle is a little bit higher than normal ..

I've tried this and it just goes all over my front guard. I'll try twisting it next time and see how I go. 

With the fuel that's splashed on the guard. Will hosing it off with water be enough to clean it? Or should I use something else? 

This is the theory behind the nozzle, Australian nozzle have the trigger lock removed...although a strategically placed key will allow hands free, albeit illegal.

Sometimes fuel will back into the Venturi tube and cause early shutoff.  I find when this happens, do not open the trigger fully and fuel slowly, as well as, Dreamr's  technique.

43 minutes ago, rminc said:

I've tried this and it just goes all over my front guard. I'll try twisting it next time and see how I go. 

With the fuel that's splashed on the guard. Will hosing it off with water be enough to clean it? Or should I use something else? 

If it’s gone over your front guard, you’ve pulled it out too far ... it just needs to be pulled out a little then put a little pressure on the handle so that the tip of the nozzle is against the fuel tube .. you can also try and rotate the the handle a couple of degrees in either direction .. shouldn’t need to rotate it a full 180 degrees.. although I have heard that this works.

As for the fuel spill .. water and fuel don’t really mix so the initial spill is fine with the water but just wash it off as usual .. shouldn’t be any lasting effects. We have been spilling petrol on our paintwork for decades and thankfully we don’t see trails of faded paint underneath the fuel caps ... 😅

Yes, I learned after the first attempt to fill mine, years ago, that you have to rotate the nozzle upside down. It angles the fuel into the shallow angle of the filler neck, so it flows smoothly and doesn't trigger the automatic shutoff too early. It will shut off normally once the tank is actually full.

On 20/03/2021 at 17:05, rminc said:

Last time I filled up it was the same, but not as bad. I remeber reading about turning the pump 180 degrees like pictured, but wasn't sure if it was just my car, or the pump. 

Gas+Filler+Tube13146676131340505012.jpg

Nozzle turned 180 is the go.  I do this on my SC and give it full squeeze until full.  No mess. No splash.