Trickle Charger Cable Position

Hi all, 

Just a quick question. 

Those of you running a trickle charger on your car, where do you run the cable through while it's plugged in. I recently got told it's better to run it through the top of the bonnet as pictured, but I've always just run it out the front just on the side of the Emblem with the latch in the first lock position, so th bonnet isn't fully closed. 

What's everyone else doing?

img_0213_d818b808c088cb691b5cb2f98af669d7ed6a8ea7.png

I do the same as you. Run it over the bumper and leave the lock in the first latch position.

I’ve also taken the globe out of the frunk light so if ever, for whatever reason the charger isn’t on, it won’t flatten the battery due to the bonnet being open.

5 hours ago, Dreamr said:

I do the same as you. Run it over the bumper and leave the lock in the first latch position.

I’ve also taken the globe out of the frunk light so if ever, for whatever reason the charger isn’t on, it won’t flatten the battery due to the bonnet being open.

I copied you :)

As Dreamr said.  I have the 'tail' for the charger under the frunk hood and leave the hood ajar.  I set the light to go off after a minute on the iCarsoft. These cars can eat batteries if not kept on a trickle, unlike the 88 Carrera which seems always fully ready.

Interested in the comment “these cars eat batteries”.

I fully charged a 987.2 OEM battery last week which is <12 mths old and two days later it took a reasonable amount of top up charge, same again 3 days later. I was starting to panic I had some abnormal parasadic draw / a dud battery.

car never seems to struggle to start, but then again it doesn’t seem to want to hold a Full Full charge.

4 hours ago, Merv said:

As Dreamr said.  I have the 'tail' for the charger under the frunk hood and leave the hood ajar.  I set the light to go off after a minute on the iCarsoft. These cars can eat batteries if not kept on a trickle, unlike the 88 Carrera which seems always fully ready.

It's crazy, I know but my 81 SC could be left for months and still be perfectly fine. The 996 struggles to start after a few weeks if not trickle charged. 

2 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

Interested in the comment “these cars eat batteries”.

I fully charged a 987.2 OEM battery last week which is <12 mths old and two days later it took a reasonable amount of top up charge, same again 3 days later. I was starting to panic I had some abnormal parasadic draw / a dud battery.

car never seems to struggle to start, but then again it doesn’t seem to want to hold a Full Full charge.

The 996 and I presume the following models seem to need battery power to keep things alive in the car, even when off. There are endless posts about it on forums and when it happened to me after a few weeks (with a brand new battery) I thought something was wrong. Seems it's just normal for the car and my previous car was fine for months on end ...

8 hours ago, Dreamr said:

It's crazy, I know but my 81 SC could be left for months and still be perfectly fine. The 996 struggles to start after a few weeks if not trickle charged. 

The 996 and I presume the following models seem to need battery power to keep things alive in the car, even when off. There are endless posts about it on forums and when it happened to me after a few weeks (with a brand new battery) I thought something was wrong. Seems it's just normal for the car and my previous car was fine for months on end ...

I was talking to a battery tech from Century yesterday about the 996 and its battery habits, And he assured me that there is nothing "Normal" About it, And I tend to agree with him, Its a PITA . My 964 needed constant battery attention as well.

19 minutes ago, tomo said:

I was talking to a battery tech from Century yesterday about the 996 and its battery habits, And he assured me that there is nothing "Normal" About it, And I tend to agree with him, Its a PITA . My 964 needed constant battery attention as well.

You're absolutely correct ... it's not normal in the whole scheme of things.

I should clarify my comment.. I meant normal in the sense that every 996 on the planet suffers from it .. so don't think your particular car has an issue.

And I agree ... it's a monumental PITA!!

1 hour ago, tomo said:

1 hour ago, Dreamr said:

You're absolutely correct ... it's not normal in the whole scheme of things.

I should clarify my comment.. I meant normal in the sense that every 996 on the planet suffers from it .. so don't think your particular car has an issue.

And I agree ... it's a monumental PITA!!

I never had a problem with my 996, must have been a good one. During covid the car was left for weeks between drives and never started sluggishly.

10 minutes ago, TINGY said:

I never had a problem with my 996, must have been a good one. During covid the car was left for weeks between drives and never started sluggishly.

Neither had I till last week, New Battery when the car was purchased in september last year 3800Ks later its gone to crap , Done all the tests no problems . BS.I Rekon it has eaten the battery even though it test OK

I also run it under the trunk in the front.  I make sure the charger is on the floor away from anything flammable - they are notorious for going on the fritz.

Mine has an ignition lockout/door lock gizmo of unknown origin which is the main reason it discharges more quickly.  Without it, I suspect it would go several months before needing to be charged.  With a new Varta being >$300 I prefer to keep it fully charged anyway...

Thanks for the replies everyone. My 911 is a 3.2, so not sure if some of the replies are relevant to the older 911s. 

I thought about even getting a cut off switch that you attach to the ground cable instead of a trickle charger, but just went trickle in the end. Not sure if the battery would deteriorate with that option and the car being driven once a month. Then there's the risk of the Ctek having an issue and causing damage whilst charging. 

I just wasn't sure whether to run the cable from the side, bottom, or top of bonnet? Might damage the seals over time. 

I wondered when someone would notice that. The 3.2 should be fine, even the later 88-89 cars with alarms, etc. I use the front of the bonnet opening (slightly ajar) to connect my pig tail to.