I Know 928 GTS' are special however....

That car could be a bit of a one off, last year of production model, one of the better colours available(obviously this is personal preference) low KM's, and the current owner is meticulous. So much so that Andrew had the car painted about 10 years ago(because of a few stone chips on the nose and bonnet) and if i remember it was 20k plus and has done almost very little KM's since. I last saw the car about a year ago and the paint is almost to perfect for a road car.

I think there has been a bit of a resurgence in exceptional condition 928's as of the last 2 years. in the last month we have seen 2 1984-5 models change hands for over 40k each. granted both were very low KM's (less then 30,000) and very original. Very low KM's and originality will always command those crazy prices and collectors pay.

Sean

I'm always prepared to pay top dollar for exceptional cars, but at $89K that's over my top dollar, maybe $55-60K but this could look cheap in years to come, depends if you want a driver or a museum piece.

• 1 year later...

Why buy that when one can buy my 'rare' black 66 912 for $70k? Its a bargain I telya!

$140k? Seriously? Is that because MW has shown an interest in them lately? Lets hope MW buys a 912

Sorry, but it's becoming a bit of a laugh now

Collectors are in a bidding war with each other; I don't think actual money paid is a big deal for them. It's the thrill of the hunt and the subsequent kill. As Wayne Carini says , "it's all about the chase".

The GTS and the 78-79 928s are now being promoted as the ones to buy. There is a limited supply of really good ones and they are hideously expensive to restore properly. So the bad ones will get parted out and the remaining ones appreciate. 

The manual ones I believe are not CBD DD friendly , but then again neither is an old aircooled 911. So for those city bound cashed up folk , they will tend to sit in collections. Not such a bad thing , as "reference" cars are always useful for ... reference and reverence.

Yeah, then idiot Clarkson turns one into a pick up and leaves it on the side of the road in Argentina. The fact the car made it that far showed it was probably a good example and worthy of keeping.

Sorry for the rant but that show really does annoy me with its destruction of classic vehicles in name of entertainment.

Yeah, then idiot Clarkson turns one into a pick up and leaves it on the side of the road in Argentina. The fact the car made it that far showed it was probably a good example and worthy of keeping.

Sorry for the rant but that show really does annoy me with its destruction of classic vehicles in name of entertainment.

Well , you could say the same about classic motor racing! 

As for the durability , I have seen examples of 928s with >800,000km on the clock without major engine work.

And OTOH , many examples of low mileage 911s with engine rebuilds  ;)

The good 928s are in the hands of enthusiasts ; probably very few examples FS when the BBC went hunting.

And the number plate probably sealed the deal on that grey GT.

Archived