996 Drivers Seat plus Helmet

AndrewM

Hi all,

I can't be the only one. Is there a trick to fitting in a 1999 c2 996 with a helmet? I have the steering wheel telescoped out as much as possible, and needed to lean the seat back quite and move the seat base forward so my arms could still reach the wheel. I felt like a frog sitting in the car. I am 179cm tall, and of what I would have thought normal build. And yes, I had moved the seat to the lowest possible position. Am I missing something? (I have the electric seats with memory function)

PS: Yes, the Sunroof definitely doesn't help, and regret even more now that I had it repaired rather than trying to find someone who could replace it with the "sunroof-less" roof panel.

I'm 182cm and have had no issue with the standard electic seats. Sure putting the helmet on inside the car I need to angle my head a bit, but I can't think of a car that I haven't had to do this in. I'm guessing you have a long torso if you're struggling. Do you have the seat bottom tilted and the back tilted?

If you have the sports seats then I understand as they sit higher and I still fit, but I'm really close to the roof.

35 minutes ago, Mike737 said:

I'm 182cm and have had no issue with the standard electic seats. Sure putting the helmet on inside the car I need to angle my head a bit, but I can't think of a car that I haven't had to do this in. I'm guessing you have a long torso if you're struggling. Do you have the seat bottom tilted and the back tilted?

If you have the sports seats then I understand as they sit higher and I still fit, but I'm really close to the roof.

I had to resort to tilting back the seat bottom and back much more than I wanted, and as a result, moving the seat base further forward so that I could reach the steering wheel. This means I end up with my legs in a frog position. Maybe I just have a long torso. Was hoping there was an obvious solution that I had missed.

PS: Yes, I can get into the car/ but if I were to leave the seat in my standard position, would need to angle my head so that my left ear is almost touching my shoulder.

35 minutes ago, edgy said:

Best option is a new seat, grab a fix back and some rails, you will get back some head room whilst being properly restrained in the seat... 

Yep this would be the ideal approach. I've got an extra 2 inches out of my Velo, although if it's not a dedicated track car and you're driving in traffic or long distances, you may hate life depending on the seat you go for (fixed base or suspension). I prefer my Sparco Sprint over my Velo GPT for both track and long periods of travel, but there's plenty of people who would say the opposite.

I am six foot four and manage to fit in the car comfortably with a helmet when I used to do track days.  I removed the footrest which meant my left thigh was no longer jammed between the centre console and the steering wheel which gave me greater freedom to move the seats backwards and forwards to get optimal seating position.  I know it sounds strange to remove the footrest to get headroom but it worked for me.

Also check that the electrics on your drivers seat are working properly.  I had problems with the electrics on my drivers seat and it would not drop as low as the passenger seat.  Simple to check I sat in passenger seat and lowered the seat and it was noticeably lower so I had the drivers seat fixed and voila extra head room.

Best I founds was to lower as far as it goes and tilt the seat back as said by others.... After I changed my seats from the electric standard to the Recaro's I have a bit more room...

• 7 months later...

Bought a cheap "Racelid" helmet on the weekend. Worked out great. The shell is smaller than the Bell or Stilo helmets I had previously tried, so I was able to find a relatively comfortable position without needing to lie the seat completely down. If this was a track focused car, I would definitely have replaced the seats and probably bought a more comfortable helmet, but for the total driving time of about 4 hours per year, I am okay with having my cheeks squashed a little.