Are there still shops where you can buy helmets?

I have a track day coming up, and finally need to buy a Snell certified helmet. Is there anywhere in Sydney where I can have a look and try out of the various different brands?

Revolution RaceGear in Auburn seems to be my best bet, but they only seem to stock a couple of models from Bell, Arai and Stihlo. As this is the first helmet I am actually buying wanted to see which brand fits my head best. All the other stores seem to be online, which seems a very annoying way of trying on helmets.

Grateful for tips!

Point to knot if you buy a helmet for example with SA 2000 snell it is good for 10 years under cams rules , but for some reason if you get a helmet with AS/NZ 1698 it has no expiration date on it , for track days and sprints , dont know why this is , but something to consider if you buy $1500 helmet .

32 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Definitely try on different brands, as some helmets I just can't wear like Arai.

I'd check some bike shops for Shoei and other higher end brands that have Snell approval too

Just be careful with bike helmets - many don’t have the fire rating that car rules require. 

There used to be a Motorcycle Warehouse on Parramatta Road at Lidcombe / Auburn from memory.

As all have said don’t skimp as you only have one head.

Are you buying the helmet for the occasional track day / super sprint? Or something more serious?

Jr

2 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Just be careful with bike helmets - many don’t have the fire rating that car rules require. 

Correct. The shell is also designed differently as car & bike accidents are typically quite different in terms of impacts. 

Best to get a car specific hemet. Also consider the option of fitting a HANS device. 

4 hours ago, reedminor said:

There used to be a Motorcycle Warehouse on Parramatta Road at Lidcombe / Auburn from memory.

As all have said don’t skimp as you only have one head.

Are you buying the helmet for the occasional track day / super sprint? Or something more serious?

I had a look at all the web sites from the Motorcycle warehouse etc, but none of them mention Snell / automotive helmets which is why the question here.
All the Snell helmets seem to only be available from online shops which is not really helpful for trying on various types.

I am after something for the occasional track day, and I don't have a cage, so can't use HANS, so would probably go open face to save on the weight and my neck.

Thoughts of any shops would be great!

I bought a Velo Full Face about 2 years ago, medium budget range. Got it at Autosport Magill Rd Beulah Park SA.

After looking around for an occasional track day lid, I found this a good product.

7 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Exactly, and this is what is making this difficult. Looking at all the bike shops online, they have helmets from Bell, Arai etc, but not the Snell approved models.

23 minutes ago, sjm said:

I bought a Velo Full Face about 2 years ago, medium budget range. Got it at Autosport Magill Rd Beulah Park SA.

After looking around for an occasional track day lid, I found this a good product.

Would love to try this brand and the others... but at the moment I would need to buy them all online, guess the size, and then return all the ones I don't want.
The only place I have found in Sydney which seems to have any selection which I can actually try on is http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/ 

2 hours ago, AndrewM said:

Would love to try this brand and the others... but at the moment I would need to buy them all online, guess the size, and then return all the ones I don't want.
The only place I have found in Sydney which seems to have any selection which I can actually try on is http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/ 

Another option is to go a car race meeting as there are usually trade vendors present. 

I race in historics and a couple of safety providers usually attend each meeting. 

:) The race meetings sound like a great idea, unfortunately, left it to the last minute, and need it by Tuesday....

As for trying in one place, and then ordering via the internet, don't really like doing that, even if I save myself 20%. Otherwise we end up in the situation where we are today where you can't go to a shop to look at anything anymore....

Thanks for everyone's comments.

4 hours ago, AndrewM said:

As for trying in one place, and then ordering via the internet, don't really like doing that, even if I save myself 20%

I posted that incase you didn't know your helmet size, so if you do know it, just order one and hope it fits

On 27/01/2022 at 16:05, LeeM said:

Go try a bike helmet on at your local bike shop and see what size fits, then order what you want in the same size, as most brands are similarly sized

I thought the same, I have taken a small in Arai bike helmets for ever and got laughed at by the sales guy at the Auto shop when I asked for a small, they said they have never sold one. 

A small Arai RX7 Corsair V bike helmet is equal to a large Arai GP J3 car helmet.

Just following up:

I managed to get a helmet on the weekend. Successful visit at Revolution Racegear in Auburn, where I was able to try on a couple of helmets. They don't have a huge range, but thankfully for me it was enough. The best thing for me, I was able to compare my height with the different helmets on. There was enough difference in them that, by choosing the "lower" one, I am able to sit somewhat comfortably in the car without needing to replace my seats!

Yes, the Bell helmet was more comfortable, but the cheaper "Racelid" one had a smaller shell, and seeing I will only do 1 or 2 track days a year, perfect for the job.

Thankfully, there was still a shop available where I could try things on....