Singers in Oz

TwoHeadsTas

Was just reading the Torque / Speed Cafe writeup on Dario Franchitti's Singer finally being delivered https://www.speedcafe.com/torquecafe/dario-franchittis-stunning-new-car/,

and a linked story from mid last year about Zagame becoming the Oz "partner" for Singer.  Rereading that story, it mentioned the first Oz Singer delivery was due by the end of 2021.

Anyone know if this has happened, or is this just something else delayed by Covid etc?

9 minutes ago, MattKH said:

I heard they have 34 or so orders but are really struggling to get 964 donor cars.

OK, I'd heard 9 orders ages ago, but I could understand about donor car difficulties in Oz.  It was interesting listening to the 9Werks interview with Rob Dickinson from last week, with Rob saying they've stuck with the 964 platform for their new turbo project rather than 930 platform because of availability and existing tooling etc being built around the 964......

I wonder if Singer customers are allowed to source cars from elsewhere, or whether they have to be sourced from the country of final destination?  Would presume this is the case for registration purposes etc given some wouldn't necessarily meet the 30 year rule yet, although you'd be OK in Vic I would have thought....

The ZAG thing is definitely happening, there was an article in the AFR a few days ago with Rob Dickinson where it was mentioned.  I've no idea on if any have made it here yet though?

Also states that Singer have 75 (global) orders for the DLS, sounds like they are going from strength to strength.  Porsche Motorsport NA is making the engines now also (excluding the DLS)

I like Franchitti's, bit understated and slightly off centre combo but probably not that out of it for the inspiration of the 70s.  It'll be interesting to see what GMA one he gets based on all the development work he's doing with T.50

It's tricky - the obvious solution would be to build their own chassis (like Ruf)...but then you have to have something engineered for 2022 standards, so back to 964 chassis.  It doesn't help that it wasn't the highest selling model ever.  While the supply far outstrips the number of Singers to get made, it's got to be hard after a while after all the beat up / worn out ones have been bought and used.  Even if they could somehow convince Porsche to restart production of the body shells they wouldn't be 199x complianced cars.  I suppose you could 'rebirth' long lost VINs and stick them on new chassis.

One of the things the UK has is easier path to registration for very low volume cars - it has always helped their cottage kit car / sports car industry.  Australia has no such thing, which is a shame. You'll never get local innovation or investment if there is a massive cliff of regulations to get past, and a tiny market to service.

On 26/02/2022 at 16:43, OBRUT said:

And they don’t take “beat up / worn out ones” either. They are not repairers or restorers.  The QA process is strict and rules out sending them a roughie. 

because they on sell the good parts that will not be used to the contracted second hand distributers, 964parts and Autobahn. Can’t sell rubbish.

From talking to someone in the queue, getting the donor is not a real problem. A UK import can do the job. Now it is a matter of if they want the turbo, or if they can get one one of the last classic allocations.

1 minute ago, MFX said:

From talking to someone in the queue, getting the donor is not a real problem. A UK import can do the job. Now it is a matter of if they want the turbo, or if they can get one one of the last classic allocations.

True, but you still have to bring it here first - pita.