BMW subscription fees....

At least with software, they’re taking something off your hands and running it …. If my heated seats stop working while I’m paying for this, are they going to replace them free of charge? I doubt it!

I’m still arguing with BMW about CarPlay … which they made a big announcement of making free, but they still actually want to charge you $500 for enabling… 🙄

1 hour ago, JWM said:

At least with software, they’re taking something off your hands and running it …. If my heated seats stop working while I’m paying for this, are they going to replace them free of charge? I doubt it!

I’m still arguing with BMW about CarPlay … which they made a big announcement of making free, but they still actually want to charge you $500 for enabling… 🙄

This is just a slippery slope to "sorry, only way you can have one of our cars is if you lease them".

"Oh yeah, I paid a hundred grand for my BMW, and I also pay a subscription  to warm my arse!...cool huh? Well no mate, you're an idiot.

Who in their right mind would pay a subscription just to warm their arse? 😅😅

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Who in their right mind would pay a subscription just to warm their arse? 😅😅

I'd probably have paid $20 to have it this last month to be honest 😂

1 hour ago, JWM said:

I'd probably have paid $20 to have it this last month to be honest 😂

Having only experienced heated seats not that long ago in the missus' Kluger, I can see why you would, as it's been a bit bloody chilly in the van this past month down here mate 

28 minutes ago, LeeM said:

it's been a bit bloody chilly in the van this past month down here mate 

I can imagine!! I grew up in Central Victoria and remember well what winters there were like!

"You can also add these features permanently, with heated front seats costing $589, a heated steering wheel costing $349, and BMW Drive Recorder costing $429."

What does seat heating cost on a new 911 as an option? :)

I completely agree that this licensing model for hardware built into the cars is a horrible idea, and I can already see all the issues with key management and features suddenly no longer working like 3 of the 6 cylinders etc...

And is the license attached to the car or the owner? 😄

This has been on the cards for a while. Doomed to failure for sure.  Bmw looking lovingly at apple’s subscription revenue, but failing to realise that gouging people for something they feel they ‘own’ is not going to work.  They also will be easy to jailbreak.  Bmw have been forgetting that strong sales relies on strong residuals and crap like this will make those even worse.   Of all car companies Tesla has the best chance of making stuff like this work, but even they have been gun shy on feature subscriptions.

I can’t see this working. They are trying a SaaS model for physical hardware. It’s like leasing the memory chips on a motherboard that be remotely enabled and disabled. Bizarre. 

They had some horrid application process for a M4CSL too which came out of the blue. Bmw is making so many odd business decisions these days. 

11 hours ago, sleazius said:

Maybe hedge funds have parachuted in a couple of plants to tank the value of the business, simultaneously shorting the f..k out of the company.

Wouldn't be the first time.

It would explain a lot if they’ve parachuted them into the design team… 😂