Short shift

sjm

I know you were after feedback regarding the factory option but I would strongly advocate the Numeric short shift kit

https://store.numericracing.com/products/adjustable-short-shifter-porsche-986-987-996-997

Numeric_Shifter_997_1024x1024_e3850c4c-7

It is beautifully made and engineered, unlike the factory option every component is metal with no plastic meaning it is highly improbable that it will break or wear out.

It is adjustable, you can set it in three different positions, meaning there is a nice amount of adjustment to get the short shift you like.

It is entirely reversible and is a name product, so given it's build quality it will have value if you decide to remove it. 

After fitting this, it gave the car the shift feeling that it should have had from factory and to my mind better matched 'shift time' to 'clutch time'.

If I ever bought another 996 or 997 this would be undoubtedly be my first purchase for the car.

I have change both my 996 and my 986's shifters over recently and I would not recommend the factory short shifter. The 987/997 is basically the same as the 996 mildly upgraded, but it is still all made of plastic parts that wear and get sloppy giving a rubbery feel. Both the Function First kit and the BAD kit were both well made and a huge step up over the factory unit with nice billet parts and bearings, which I will take over sloppy plastic every day, and quite simple to install. I have done videos installing both.

3 hours ago, sjm said:

Thinking of installing a short shift to my 997 C2S. Leaning to a factory kit as it plug and play. Do wise heads here have any views or experience with these. 

If going down factory route, I recall the 997 gt3 factory mechanism has some metal internals over the 997 short shifter mechanism with plastic internals as noted above with similar throws.  I had a Gemballa shorts shifter in my 996 and went the other way and put in a 997 factory mechanism.  Very small margin on the Gemballa between catching 3rd and 5th (not just me and others who I have thrown the keys over to made similar comments missteps.  3rd gear for me is where my car does its best work.

Thanks for all the input.                        Numeric seems to be the premium choice and will seriously consider it.                                                     GT3  unit has a different throw to the normal SSK I think but worth a look due to metal bushings.                                               Will do more research on the BAD kit as not sure if modifications are needed.            Videos are on my list Jeff. Cheers.                

14 hours ago, 911CSR said:

There is also the CAE Shifter for these. I have used on other non-Porsche cars and they are very, very good

Looking for OEM solutions that don’t modify the console. These are a quality item though. 

I just installed the Numeric shifter in my 996 a couple of weeks ago...It is on another lever compared to the standard shifter in both build quality and operation. Having said that my standard shifter was in very good condition and the action was pretty tight, albeit a little long.

The other advantage is the adjustment that you have in both the cable seats and the shift length.

The only negative is the price!! 261086591_STANDARDVNUMERIC.thumb.jpg.17859f7abdef95a72ad30aa18ff6e225.jpg810935028_NUMERICINSTALLED.thumb.jpg.aea1d765e89f5069138652c92f72aaa6.jpg

7 hours ago, RobCarrera said:

I just installed the Numeric shifter in my 996 a couple of weeks ago...It is on another lever compared to the standard shifter in both build quality and operation. Having said that my standard shifter was in very good condition and the action was pretty tight, albeit a little long.

The other advantage is the adjustment that you have in both the cable seats and the shift length.

The only negative is the price!! 261086591_STANDARDVNUMERIC.thumb.jpg.17859f7abdef95a72ad30aa18ff6e225.jpg810935028_NUMERICINSTALLED.thumb.jpg.aea1d765e89f5069138652c92f72aaa6.jpg

Thanks for the input. Price is high but all considered not a whole lot more than oem and adjustable to boot. Very high on the list👍