1966 912 or 356 "D" as some refer to them...

wasserkuhl

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just re read 11 pages - forgot I made comment at about pg 6.

I still need to install oil breather / silicon gasket seals / wood grain steering wheel

Your making me feel very bad with all this work. Must call mechanic. LOL

Oh yeah renovating the garage to be an office/garage - moved cars for the first time in a while.

photo-6_zpsd36aaed7.jpg

Nice Looking 912!

Oil Breather? do you mean the fill tank? or the tube that goes from the fill tank to the RHS Carb?

More pictures please.

Mine is finished all but for an on road shakedown next sunday. then we go for rego.

It was called breather / bleeder depending on which porsche person you ask - I've got a replacement I need to fit. A woodgrain steering wheel to fit / I bought silicon gaskets so they need to go in.

I've also got a noise in my clutch that grinds when the car is warm getting it into gear - needs to be shorted, it shifts fine between gears. All since I've not driven it on a daily basis.

Any thoughts on the issue wasserkuhl? I am in no way mechanically minded - what so ever.

Grinding of gears could be :

1) Clutch needs to be adjusted as its not fully engaged when the pedal is depressed(Simple and Cheap)

2) Shift Joint/Shifter needs new Bushes and adjustment(Simple and about 50 Bucks in parts and 2 Hours Labour cost)

3) Clutch is failed or worn past its best (Simple but time consuming and expensive $500 new Clutch + 5Hrs Labour)

4) Engine and Transmission mounts may need replacing as well if they are worn/cracked. (Simple and cheapish dependant on what Mounts you have ; if you have a 1966 Build they should be 4 Block mounts at rear of engine and two Block mounts at Transmission)

or the bonus answer "All of the above".

OEM Porsche Woodgrain steering wheel= $$$$

Can you pm me your chassis #? does it start with a "3" or a "4" ?

Bang - thanks shall copy that list and get it looked at LOL

Chassis number I shall look and drop you a pm you tomorrow.

Steering wheel - yep not cheap but they make cars.

This one came from the UK DDK forum about 18 months back.

P1000445.jpg

True, but I now have your address sunshine!  ;)

LeeM - try finding it in my place - its a mess - renovating and another child due - even I don't know where it is.  :)

Archived