1966 912 or 356 "D" as some refer to them...

wasserkuhl

Dude your making a new car...what are spring plate bushes, struts etc like. I jut pulled all mine out of the T and torsion tube cup a little pitted etc..while your there moment coming on...

Suspension is all perfect, only issue was with front LHS Brake Caliper binding, which I am rebuilding right now.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not helping me out here Wasser. That thing looks great! Very quick on the build also. Well done.

Thanks man.

The Brake Parts arrived yesterday so I will be assembling the brakes and starting it later this afternoon for a final tune.

No wait on anything but me putting it back together.

WOO FREAKIN HOO

200km round trip for a 5 Years Olds birthday today.

Got back and installed the hotter NGK Plugs, carby's and started her up.

Tuned mixtures(4 Of) and Idle speed once up to temperature.

She runs like a, errrr, a mezger 4 Cylinder now.

Will be assembling the calipers this evening ,installing then bleeding tomorrow providing er' indoors can press the pedal for me....

Then its just the radio-delete plate to be fabricated out of brushed stainless and install the Brand new Muffler tip.

Ooooooh, I may even book her in for thursday this week ..............then I can go an an easter bunny hunt in it over easter!!!

:D Long story short.

When mum was down here last time, I was paint stripping a 56 Oval beetle and she wanted to get stuck in, which in turn ruined her good shoes.

Pics were taken and posted on Melburg Luft forum, with the lads offering advice on her footwear for next time. Volleys are the obvious choice

Yep Volleys rock. I have a pair myself.

Tangerine Dream is running and awaiting her inspection. Although upon inspection of the rhs brake caliper it is apparent that some fool as taken the bleeder valve and screwed in a 1/4 inch headed nut to the bleeder valve as it was probably leaking at some point, they used a small o ring to seal it.

Ordered new bleeders so I can sleep at night.

Vehicle inspections are booked out this week so next week it shall be.

Removing carbs again tonight as the LHS one has a slight air-pull at the base as I didn't use gasket sealer there...........I thought it looked ok and was seating...........FFS. 

Sourcing Vintage Solex parts is challenging.

I decided to replace the 4 Idle Mixture screws and springs as they were quite worn and one was what I call Buggerred. There are also 4 Spacer blocks between the carbs and the inlet manifolds, of which one wass slightly shorter than the others. It was also phenolic/bakerlite whereas the other 3 were alloy. Of course it was cracked so 4 new ones are on the way.

Also managed to get some different main and air correction jets so I can get it running perfectly.

It has an oil leak from the transmission gear selector shaft ,which upon inspection someone has attempted to remedy with JB weld.

Sigh.

Little did they know that there is a seal that can easily be replaced. Not so much now as I have to carefully remove the JB weld via use of heat gun and razor blades.

This will be a job for later on as I will need to remove the engine and gearbox to repair this and other leaks correctly.

Thats it I am not looking at doing anything else until its registered as I can't wait any longer.

Thanks Wasser for the constant updates. It is fascinating to hear what you are doing to your new baby.

Thanks Steve I was very busy with work and hadn't updated much for a while.

Glad somebody is enjoying the updates, I am using this thread as a blog of sorts!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress?

Absolutely Zero over the last few days.

Waiting on Brake Caliper Bleed nipples, Solex idle adjustment screws, Solex Spacers and a few other small items (Jets mainly).

Ordered a Pertronix ignitor and coil as well. I don't need no stinkin' points. Oh and a new timing light as mine was kaput(haven't used it for a very long time...)

I haven't done anything on it for almost a week now............ Its doing my head in.

Scored some new rear discs off fleabay as the ones on it are questionable. May as well rebuild the calipers while I am there.............

Archived