1966 912 or 356 "D" as some refer to them...

wasserkuhl

No The genuine ones last as long as froth on piss.

I have been getting mine from an ebay seller and they are extremely good.

fronts :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PORSCHE-911-BONNET-GAS-STRUTS-Brand-New-Pair-/190808470404?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6d123384

rears :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PORSCHE-911-BOOT-STRUTS-Pair-New-Struts-/200904258634?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec6d3b44a

Its an arse of a job with only one person!!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just jacked her up on 4 Stands.

Brakes all look ok, but will do new Discs and pads anyway.

Tomorrow brings:

Bleed Brakes, 2 bleed nipples per caliper which catches youg players out.

Drop the oil and do the tappets.

Correct the over fuelling via carbs ; Float levels, Idle and richness.

Remove Plugs and gap correctly, they are far too wide at the moment.......and black as sin.

Install RHDoor mirror.

Fixed Passenger seat issue of not going all the way back.

Remove old crap stereo and install blanking plate until I find a decent replacement.

Then stop and have a swim.

Its to fecking hot.

So work has progressed and the front LHS brake caliper needs to be rebuilt.

Parts ordered and caliper stripped.

My father came around today to get his hands dirty, the tappets were all set wrong, the mixtures and idle were wrong as well, The timing was retarded so we set it at 3 Degrees static. she now runs like a dream. Got to love my father......79 and still got die luftkuhlt magik.

13030005_zps9c8ed654.jpg

13030004_zps419ff15d.jpg

Removed the sump plate today and found about half a cup of this granualar looking crap that felt like sand.

"Oh feck..."

"Don't panic Mr mannering" der luft-meister says, "Its just carbon built up around the sump screen"

These engines dont have full flow filters so the sump screen acts as a secondary filter which catches all the carbon deposits.......

Inside the crank case looks clean a in good order....

Great having a luft-meister handy...

13030006_zps9004d843.jpg13030007_zps50afc64d.jpg

Looks like Batman to me.....

hehehehe. he does doesn't he? Lovely Dog though. Named after Walter Rohrl.

Great thread.

Good to see you didn't waste any time in getting started on the 912.

I met the PO at a PCV event last w/e and he was happy with the sale, so it looks like smailes all around.

Thanks Doug, I love to work on these cars..........and it appears that my Dad is taking a keen interest in assisting as well! We are arguing about correct oils to use. Oil is like religion, best not discussed.

Yes John is a decent chap and this car was too good to pass up. It has had alot of cash spent on it in the past as I can see it everywhere, the floors and sills have been replaced with correct panels and welded in correctly, not just cut and shut; fitted and spot and then seem welded. It just hasn't had any servicing or tuning for along time.

Ahh but buy the dry sump kit too! And why not this...

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/29405.html

Michel, please refrain from encouraging me to spend money! I just dropped a wedge on the full flow oil kit(s)!! The minister for finance still thinks that this car needs 'no money' spent on it...... :rolleyes:

Great thread Wasser. Looking forward to hearing more about your new baby.

Thanks Steve! Once I get it registered and on the road I will refrain from doing some work for a while. Maybe.

well, probably will strip the body and repaint it in Polo Red..........just need to avoid the desire to do that for at least 6 Months.

Solved the issue of the RHS Door Mirror. Could not get it located on the door so I could see it properly so I removed the antenna from the front guard and mounted it on there instead. Works a treat and looks quite retro cool as well. Once passed inspection I will most probably remove this again..........

I have removed the gammy old roadstar cassette player and will install a radio delete plate on the dash.

The door cards have been delivered to the trimmer so he can re-do the door pockets to block up the holes where the speakers were.

I saw a pelican thread recently where a young guy was produce drilling holes and cutting up door cards to mount a heap of speakers in his SC. Al. I could think was "in ten years someone is going to have to pull all that crap,back out again"

I remember been obsessed with car stereos at a tender age, and committing vehiclular sins in its name. I shudder when I think about the drilling, splicing, cutting and hacking atrocities I committed. Thankfully all the vehicles so affected are long off the road so the evidence is gone.

I agree.

This little car hasn't really had much of that butchery and thankfully its easy to put right.

I have a half decent stereo in my carrera but to be honest the exhaust overpowers it and probably is more pleasnt to my ears anyway!

The SC has its original Blaupunkt FM stereo but I seldom use it excepet on a longish trip.

I just bit the bullet and thought I'd do a radio delete on this one.

I will, however, install a retro head unit and hide some speakers under the dash at a later date >

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200896117835?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

These look quite good and the Bluetooth streaming function is what I want.

The sound of that luftkuhlt flat four is pretty good though....

Oh I don't mind a half decent stereo and I want to be able to hear the music, but the days of putting in amplifiers and subwoofers and all those types of things are gone.  Just a decent head unit and some decent speakers in whatever factory holes are there is as far as I would ever go.  The problem is finding aftermarket speakers that don't look like science experiments.

It's a shame that no head unit manufacturers don't try and do retro fascias.  I think there would be a sizeable market for 60s, 70s, 80s etc faces with matching fonts, lighting, materials and layout.   Add in built-in bluetooth phone connections and you'd have the classic car market stitched up.

Archived