1966 912 or 356 "D" as some refer to them...

wasserkuhl

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got my parts today, woo freakin Hoo!! only took a week from the US of A.

One carb is on and the other will be on later tonight.

Correct brake bleed nipples(oooh err missus) are both on now.

Invested in a new carb balancing meter as well so will have some tuning fun over the weekend.

And when your finished head over to victoria and give mine 912 a tune and look over. LOL

I've got to replace the oil bleeder which arrived from the USA.

Awesome updates. Murf

Well it started and runs, idles smoothly but is backfiring through the carbs so will have to spend some time on timing and mixtures later in the weekend.

Back off static timing to 3 Degress BTDC and check at 3500rpm for advance, which should be 30 Degrees BTDC.

Idle mistures need to be richer to stop the back-firing.........

Even in this state its running 100% better than it was..........

Murf, thanks for the comments! What oil bleeder? for the brakes?

was going to put it on ebay as I am getting money together for some stock seats to put in the car. But if you need it P.M me your address and I'l post it down to you brother.

Well that is a very generous offer, which I may have needed over the last two days.....however throw it on the Bay and see what you can get for it...

when I'd checked the distributor over in the 912, after I got it, I noticed that the base plate, where the points are located was on upside down, so I removed it, replaced the condensor and the points and put it all back together.

On the weekend, when I was tuning and mucking with it, I could hear a screeching sound. Which, I thought"WTF is that?" as you do....

After checking the timing with the light I realised it wasn't advancing as the revs rose.....scratches head.

So I whipped off the cap and noticed that the rotor was in contact with the cap which resulted in a nice fine powder within the distributor. Feck.

So, pulled it out and noticed now that the rotor spring play was like 90 Degrees! (Had never crossed my mind to cheack this previously) Which felt like there was no stop on the advance mechanisim(Mechanical).

So, again I pulled it to pieces and had a closer look down in the gubbins. To my surprise, it appears that someone, prior in its life, had tried to pull the rotor off just a touch too hard, which resulted in it pulling the cam off the shaft, breaking the circlips grasp on the special washer and thus , technically speaking, buggering it.

How the hell it ran so well at more than full advance is beyond me.............I thought I had to lean it out a bit too much, it was blowing un burnt fuel out the pipe when I got it and I had tuned the Carbs so this had all but stopped.........no freakin wonder it was blowing smoke.........full advance all the time.

So, it appears that the throw out weights had come into contact with the body but not really damaged it.

Where do I get 45 year old Bosch distributor parts from? (Circlip and washer)

Panic.

10 Phone calls later and much sucking of air through teeth of Auto electricians I located one in the northern suburbs of adelaide who had "A Whole heap of old Bosch bits" So, went down there today and rifled through parts bins and found the correct parts, still in their little Bosch bag NOS.

So, its back together, installed in the car, static advance set at 3 degrees, ready for me to start it again.

I am both too tired and too scared to start it at a risk of failure......

More to report tomorrow when I take the leap of faith........

Thanks man.

It runs and is advancing well.

It is still running a bit too rich for my liking, now fiddling with jetting comes into play.

I hate being a perfectionist(with Porsches) Its not right until its "Just right".

Off my T*Ts on fuel fumes though..............

Get it sorted?

Slowly getting there. Got the tops off the carbs to check the feeder check valves for the float chambers, the float levels are too high so just checking that the little valves that are actuated by the floats aren't stuck on. Then will reset the float levels, which, fingesr crossed should reduce or cure the richness within the idle circuit.

Archived