1966 912 or 356 "D" as some refer to them...

wasserkuhl

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Removed door handles as there was a broken off key in one barrell and the ignition key doesn't fit either of the doors or the glovebox.

Delivered to my locksmith and he will re calibrate the barrels to match the key.

Now I wait as I am in need of parts to get it running and take it for its inspection.

Tick Tock.

Oh I don't mind a half decent stereo and I want to be able to hear the music, but the days of putting in amplifiers and subwoofers and all those types of things are gone.  Just a decent head unit and some decent speakers in whatever factory holes are there is as far as I would ever go.  The problem is finding aftermarket speakers that don't look like science experiments.

It's a shame that no head unit manufacturers don't try and do retro fascias.  I think there would be a sizeable market for 60s, 70s, 80s etc faces with matching fonts, lighting, materials and layout.   Add in built-in bluetooth phone connections and you'd have the classic car market stitched up.

Like this? http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12924

I've not been reading this thread because it makes me want one more. Now I've read it. Damn you :)

They have an addictive charm about them.................I love working on these cars, the earlier the better.

Buy one before the prices go to 356 levels.

Actually they are really a poor mans porsche.

You would be both a pretender and a fool to buy a 912.

Apparently they are a VW dressed in drag. Its only a dirty old VW engine in the rump. Well except for every single part on the engine, but its still just a VW motor. I am perplexed because the tappet covers from a VW seem to be about 30mm too small? And the Crankcase has an extra piece? Must be a special VW engine I suppose......

Perhaps like buying a BMW 318i and removing the bootlid badge as you have straight six envy.

Chev badge on a commodore?

Nah. You don't want or need one of these. People will spit at you when you go for a nice sunday cruise in it.

Just a foolish little embarassment that Porsche would prefer to be kept quiet.

:rolleyes:

Damn, and here I am thinking I was a bit posh buying a 912!

Wonder if I can squeeze in a WRX motor in there to be popular

Now now, there is no need for that type of language around here. OK, I'll pass  wrx motor, just as long as you dont start talking about dropping a Chev V8 in there. Then I'd have to TYPE WITH CAPITALS TO SHOW MY DISGUST

LOL.

Porsche people see my car now and spit so same|same.

Another must not buy...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/croydon/cars-vans-utes/1974-volkswagen-kombi-ute/1014921686

Bastard. I had to kill all my Kombi alerts upon purchase of 912. Still want a T1 Kombi Ute.

Yep, this is what I will be getting eventually. I think these are a touch over priced but do look good. I only want it for the Bluetooth audio streaming.

Wasser I was trying to get a retro sound for my Dads old 50s Ford and contacted them directly about their ridiculous shipping costs. He did come back to me with better shipping prices. So shop around a bit. I'm pretty sure the Aussie distributor can do a better price too.

ahhhh. alcohol burns cool so short trips down the strip dont need a fan to cool it. I am on holidays at the moment so will continue thread updates when I return home on tuesday. Door cards have been finished and my re calibrated door locks will be ready tuesday. In my relaxed state I have decided to remove engine and gearbox to repair oil leaks and ensure eveything inside is in fine fettle. I am in two minds about the big bore kit as the car is extremely original..........

If its original, leave it original is my feeling.

Other questions that you need to ask are:

Why did you buy the car? Meaning, did you buy the car because it is "original"?

"Who did you buy the car for, you or the next owner?'

Will this mod detract from its original value or enhance it?

Just thought I would throw these out there

No problem, I had to ask myself the same questions when in 1974 I had the opportunity to buy a 1928 Ford Tudor,

still registered, in a car yard, but I wanted to build a hotrod. I couldn't destroy a classic.

IMO big bore kit is not seen as a detractor in terms of originality. Often seen as desirable upgrade. Also reversible with no change to body .or numbers etc. Makes for a more robust driving experience.

Putting in a 911 engine or st clone would for some detract.

But your car and your fun. Enjoy it as god intended...( Played backwards sounds like butzi)

Archived