SMT video etiquette: to post, or not

I took some video of the Vic SMT on the weekend. Pretty tame stuff. Went ahead of the main group. Parked up at the bottom of a 100 speed limit straight in full view. Everyone looked like they were going at 70 kph. Some people knew, but not all.

I was going to post on YouTube, but then I asked myself if I had everyone's permission. The answer is no.

Is there such a thing as etiquette for the posting of video from 'car club' type runs?

What about in car video of the car in front?

Privacy issues? Legal issues?

Thoughts everyone?

Hi Doug,

Great topic and I must admit to being very uncomfortable since the weekend run when I heard that a number of people intended to post video of the event.

I saw you and have no problem with what you would have got. However I don't feel the same way in regard to car to car video and don't want anything with my car posted on a public forum. If a link was sent by email for private viewing I am a bit more comfortable with that but certainly not public consumption.

C

Agree Chris, lets be realistic, although I know everything is above board as way of road laws being adhered to etc, it opens the chance of the clip(s) being used against anyone on an SMT or the Forum in general should an accident occur or complaint be made whether a valid complaint or just someone who has a grudge against P cars/drivers. (we all know there are some bitter and twisted people out there for whatever reason)

Plus again the chance of current affairs people blowing our SMT's out of all proportion as to what they really are.

Just my two pence worth.

Keep them private between each other and out of public view.

Lets look at it is an opportunity.

It would be a great night at the end of the year for a few drinks and Video night.

Just for members in a private home.

I would be in on that. :)

Lets look at it is an opportunity.

It would be a great night at the end of the year for a few drinks and Video night.

Just for members in a private home.

I would be in on that. :)

Vas, that is a brilliant idea.

I'm in for that also.

That is a good idea Vas!  Or a private room in a restaurant in a major City in Aus.  The annual PFA SMT Movie night :) 

At the end of the day, once you put ANYTHING on the internet it is no longer the property of the person that put it there.

I have already decided not to post any video online for the above reasons and also because I am not that happy with what I got lol I will have a good look at what I shot on cruise back, as that has no one else's car in it but mine, and may post some of that, but as I was just nursing car home, I have a feeling most of it is pretty mundane footage

Hey guys

I've put together a 4 minute movie of the run to Baw Baw. How do people feel about the following methods for viewing?

New thread started where people can ask for an unlisted Youtube link via PM. The video can only be viewed by people who have the link. It doesn't stop people sharing the link with people outside the forum. The video could be taken down in 7 days to avoid it going viral (not that it's anything special).

The video is currenlty in my Dropbox. People can PM me their email address and I can then send them the drop box link to download it. The file is 27mb so not very big. The format is m4v which means it's playable on PC, Mac, and iphone.

People come to the carpark meet at North Rd and watch it on my phone.

I do like the movie night idea. It's a big commitment to get enough video to make a night of it though. A few years back I made a movie of our waterski season. It went for 45 minutes but took over 100 hours to put together. I guess it depends on how good we want the movies to be. I'm open to the idea though.

Hey All,

This seems to be generating much chit-chat behind the scenes, and members are being super sensitive to the rights and requests of others, but I agree with Doug that there needs to be a public discussion here about this  topic, so time to weigh in...

There are clearly two sides to this discussion...

On one hand this is simply an opportunity for enthusiatic members to share their experience of the morning with interested others on the PFA, and using the medium that is easily accessible and commonplace makes sense.

On the other, the questions of privacy and vulnerability are commonly at the heart of concerns that have been voiced to me about this in the past years, and again with renewed concerns in the last 24 hrs.

Some points of consideration...

When I was a COSTCO a couple of weeks ago I noticed a 1.5m high stack of GoPro video cameras for sale, and then last week in duty free at the airport, another massive display of this same product. This type of personal experience capture is here to stay.

We have all by now witnessed examples where harmless and entertaining videos uploaded to the web have been taken out of context, and have been used to vilify those that were, in varying degrees, innocents in the process.

Some members feel strongly about their number plates being visible, others about how their speed might be mis-interupted, some are happy with video of motionless cars but not moving, and then others are pained to insist that they are in no way involved, with yet others who "couldn't give a shit!"

Regardless of where each of us fall within this spectrum, I think we can all agree that the medium of the internet is unpredictable, and available to some who are unscrupulous.

I am conscious of the PFA being a target for a current affairs show on a slow news cycle - nothing like inciting "the great unwashed" with a bit of luxury car/lifestyle slagging just to keep the class wars alive and kicking - and making any video content, especially that which is open to "appropriation" in anyway attainable, might not be the smartest course of action!

I am perplexed as to any single, all emcompassing strategy that we might follow, however I have to say, although I find this type of video enormously entertaining (and have made several myself), I ultimately resign myself to the unwelcome and prejudiced potential that it invites.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Kerry

Well expressed Kez. Not much I can add or disagree with there.

Just a shame we can't grasp this technology to promote P cars and the Forum. Or can we... discussion a must.

Hey guys

I've put together a 4 minute movie of the run to Baw Baw. How do people feel about the following methods for viewing?

New thread started where people can ask for an unlisted Youtube link via PM. The video can only be viewed by people who have the link. It doesn't stop people sharing the link with people outside the forum. The video could be taken down in 7 days to avoid it going viral (not that it's anything special).

The video is currenlty in my Dropbox. People can PM me their email address and I can then send them the drop box link to download it. The file is 27mb so not very big. The format is m4v which means it's playable on PC, Mac, and iphone.

People come to the carpark meet at North Rd and watch it on my phone.

I do like the movie night idea. It's a big commitment to get enough video to make a night of it though. A few years back I made a movie of our waterski season. It went for 45 minutes but took over 100 hours to put together. I guess it depends on how good we want the movies to be. I'm open to the idea though.

No drama, we can fill in the rest with old sports car racing vids of Porsches.

Add beer and away we go. :)

Well I guess my video will receive cult status as one viewed by very few. In years to come, Porsche enthusiasts around the world will talk about the famous rumoured SMT Mt Baw Baw movie that never surfaced :lol:

Thats one of the motivations behind my project, in that Porsche enthusiasts are not just the status seeking elitists who wouldn't know a 930 from a 356, but are often passionate car owners, who just happen to love driving the finest cars ever built (there is no substitute ;)). Maybe try and change perceptions about the ppl behind the cars. While they will always be aspirational cars, they are not  a status symbol to many of us lucky enough own them

Just a thought or 2 on the Vid Nacht idea.

If we all bring along our favorite footage on a SD card or USB (or DVD for the old school brigade) we could just play them in random order.  Footage could you own or something from the net, whatever tickles. 

Obvious inclusions for the night would be a few beers and lots of bragging, talking shit, comparing tail pipes etc.

If some one has a suitable set up we could use and is willing to accept the PFA hoards in their home, I think it could be the makings of a good annual event.

Just a thought or 2 on the Vid Nacht idea.

If we all bring along our favorite footage on a SD card or USB (or DVD for the old school brigade) we could just play them in random order.  Footage could you own or something from the net, whatever tickles. 

Obvious inclusions for the night would be a few beers and lots of bragging, talking shit, comparing tail pipes etc.

If some one has a suitable set up we could use and is willing to accept the PFA hoards in their home, I think it could be the makings of a good annual event.

Yep just need a notebook, projector and a white wall to project them onto!  Find a private room in a restaurant.. have dinner, chat and watch the footage that is brought along. Sounds fun I reckon!

If it was done in a major city  Melbourne, Adelaide or Sydney - be easy for people to fly in and out for the weekend with family for eg.

I think in general you should all err on the side of caution and not post any videos unless it is of your own car with no others in the background, and that's your choice.

It's dead simple to download a video from the internet and once that is done, it's out of your control forever.

The truth is that current affairs type shows just love showing people during burnouts in commodores, and if they had footage of a p-car going fast, maybe drifting a bit, maybe showing some tire smoke, then there is no doubt in my mind it will eventually end up somewhere you don't want it.  The death of Australian muscle cars was at the hands of over-excited journalists who caused politicians to do something stupid, which killed performance cars in this country for 20 years.  Then there are the cops, tax office, ex-wives, you name it - some things are better left private.

If it's not yours, don't post it, I think would be the best rule.

Interesting points Coaster.

I have deliberated for some time now about posting some videos I have taken. 

A number of SMTs, Canberra run and some without the PFA clan. I'm not concerned about the videos showing anything wrong or untoward, but there is the small chance things could be misconstrued or incorrectly viewed. Don't want to put myself and my own can in that situation, so why should I put anyone else. Different if I was running on the track. Blast away and get as much video as you want posted.

This started with the discussion regarding Simon's video. Great to watch, speed limits not abused and really reflects the camaraderie and great day that it was. It was very well thought out and put together. Still, wouldn't post in the public domain.

No links, no Drop-Box downloads and no private You Tube stuff. 

Beer, sausage rolls and video night is a great way to share the memories.

My 2 cents.

I would prefer no videos of me driving my car to be put into the public domain. (even though i drive within the speed limit all the times except when i have received an infringement notice)

Although i would love to watch the videos, unfortunately there is too much potential and possible downside.

Thanks all for their feedback on this issue.

There are many opinions on this matter, but we seem to have formed a majority view.

There is the potential for downside and it is best to err on the side of caution so no public posting of other people driving.

Makes sense to me.

Unfortunately for Chris and Theo I have some great footage/sound of their Fisters passing by.  Just sounds awesome.

Drowns out the next couple of cars :o

D

Archived