The search is on for a 1976 Porsche

Hi all,

Being a bit of a car buff, something inherited from my father, I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a nice weekend drive car from my birth year, 1976. Having always loved the shape of the 911's my search has started there with car sales and the like.

Now I am the first to admit, I know bugger all about Porsche's so sort out an Australian based forum to learn more about these beauties and seek assistance on what I should be looking for and looking out for.

I've spent the morning trolling trough the forums reading about the time and effort some of you have invested in the search for your Porsche and have the feeling I am in the right place reading all the advice offered. I'm in no rush to make a purchase but ready to buy today if I can find the right car.

So what's the right car? Well that's where I am hoping you can help. Let’s start by;

What's the wrong car?

• 924/914’s
  • Repairable write-offs
  • Heavily modified
  • Track cars
  • Colours not to my taste in a Porsche (white, green, yellow).
  • Interior not to my taste (red, brown) how expensive are they to re-trim?

What’s the right car?

• 911 C3 / 930
  • Australian delivered - RHD
  • Full service history would be nice
  • Black
  • Black interior

Where I need to do more research and hoping for some advice.

• Does a 6’1, 105kg man fit in a Porsche (no I have never sat nor driven one yet).
  • 2.7 or 3lt
  • Should I hold out for a Turbo

I will build on this thread during my search. Please feel free to offer any advice and or correct me where I may have the wrong information. This is really only day one of the search getting serious.

Cheers
Ben

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

immac, and possible future classic model too :)
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-carrera-1976-13617931?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=1&eapi=2&__N=900%201466%201246%201252%201247%201282%204294963765%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&sort=~Year

6'1" should fit fine, 105 kg depends if you put tight bucket seats in haha

3.0L over the 2.7

turbo of that year may be hard to find, and not a good idea for a first porsche if you are not used to driving them

very simple to re-trim.

aus delivered i could take or leave, makes no difference to me but seems to  help resale.

+1.

If you have the means available, go for a 1976 Carrera 3.0.

It's a 3 litre, has strong pedigree, and is becoming one of the more sought after models.

Plus you're entitled to wear the cool 1970s Carrera script on the side (not that I'm biased)...

Btw, you'll be very hard pressed to find a grey 911 of that vintage. Silver is much easier to find, as is black or red.

Thanks for the replies guys.

immac, and possible future classic model too :)
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-carrera-1976-13617931?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=1&eapi=2&__N=900%201466%201246%201252%201247%201282%204294963765%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&sort=~Year

6'1" should fit fine, 105 kg depends if you put tight bucket seats in haha

3.0L over the 2.7

turbo of that year may be hard to find, and not a good idea for a first porsche if you are not used to driving them

very simple to re-trim.

aus delivered i could take or leave, makes no difference to me but seems to  help resale.

It is a very nice looking 911. I have looked at all the 76 model ones on carsales several times. Only two 3.0 ones at present, that being the better one, pitty it's white. A cheaper car requiring a respray wouldn't phase me but a colour change doesn't appeal at this point.

Regarding turbo not a good idea as a first, could you elaberate a little for me please?

+1.
If you have the means available, go for a 1976 Carrera 3.0.
It's a 3 litre, has strong pedigree, and is becoming one of the more sought after models.

Plus you're entitled to wear the cool 1970s Carrera script on the side (not that I'm biased)...

Btw, you'll be very hard pressed to find a grey 911 of that vintage. Silver is much easier to find, as is black or red.

Thanks for the tip on the colour, origional post edited to reflect.

A nice, wellkept 76 Carrera 3.0 is what I hope to find.

Oh, and you'll fit fine with your dimensions. I'm 6'2.

Good to know. :)

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-1976-11077498?base=&vertical=Car&cr=4&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294963765&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year%3a1976%2c1976&sort=Price

I'm sorry if the owner is a member here but this ad just reads like it's got/had problems. I did enquire why it was still at the mechanices to which I got a reply that it is being rewired, new seals and hoses leads etc. Seems strange to have all this work done while it is advertiesed for sale. Plus it's not a 3.0lt.

Am I on the right path thinking there is more than meets the eye here?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-911-carrera-1976-12952597?base=&vertical=Car&cr=2&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294963765&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year%3a1976%2c1976&sort=Price

Question for the more experianced, this car looks the goods but reads like a replica apposed to a genuine Carrera. Am I right?

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is a very nice looking 911. I have looked at all the 76 model ones on carsales several times. Only two 3.0 ones at present, that being the better one, pitty it's white. A cheaper car requiring a respray wouldn't phase me but a colour change doesn't appeal at this point.

Regarding turbo not a good idea as a first, could you elaberate a little for me please?

Thanks for the tip on the colour, origional post edited to reflect.

A nice, wellkept 76 Carrera 3.0 is what I hope to find.

Good to know. :)

the turbo's have more power but in standard form the lag and a four speed gearbox with tall gearing is less than ideal in most situations driving on the street;

combine that with trying to get to grips with a 911 in general and it can be tricky. whilst 3.0L are not particularly fast by modern car standards they have enough grunt to be fun and quick, and as a whole are very tactile and rapid up tight twisty roads.

a cheaper car requiring a respray is going to take money and time to do, best bet is to find one in a colour you like!

there is a targa model for sale in the porsche club classifieds, did you have preference for hardtop?

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/CC35B52B732D41CEC1257ABE0076C0FD#pagetop

the turbo's have more power but in standard form the lag and a four speed gearbox with tall gearing is less than ideal in most situations driving on the street;

combine that with trying to get to grips with a 911 in general and it can be tricky. whilst 3.0L are not particularly fast by modern car standards they have enough grunt to be fun and quick, and as a whole are very tactile and rapid up tight twisty roads.

a cheaper car requiring a respray is going to take money and time to do, best bet is to find one in a colour you like!

there is a targa model for sale in the porsche club classifieds, did you have preference for hardtop?

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/CC35B52B732D41CEC1257ABE0076C0FD#pagetop

Thanks for the detailed reply. I thought that might have been what you were alluding too.

I agree, finding one in the right colour will make things so much simpler.

I hadn't considered a targa, I dont mind the colour either although not exactly what I am looking for. Will shortlist this one, thankyou.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-1976-11077498?base=&vertical=Car&cr=4&eapi=2&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963765&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:1976,1976&sort=Price

I'm sorry if the owner is a member here but this ad just reads like it's got/had problems. I did enquire why it was still at the mechanices to which I got a reply that it is being rewired, new seals and hoses leads etc. Seems strange to have all this work done while it is advertiesed for sale. Plus it's not a 3.0lt.

Am I on the right path thinking there is more than meets the eye here?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-911-carrera-1976-12952597?base=&vertical=Car&cr=2&eapi=2&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963765&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:1976,1976&sort=Price

Question for the more experianced, this car looks the goods but reads like a replica apposed to a genuine Carrera. Am I right?

That black car is at The Healey Factory. It's been there a long time. They have quite a few 911s. If you are in Melbourne that would be a good first place to go and touch 911s.

Newcastle - scrap that idea then :)

If you take only one thing away from this forum -

GET A PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION BY A BONA FIDE PORSCHE PERSON.

This will cost you upfront, but will hopefully prevent you buying a car that will cost you thousands more in the short/medium term.

Thanks Amanda. My partner wants to visit friends in Vic so might look at killing two birds with one stone. Will need a retrim to suit my tastes.

Looking forward to your PM Hugh, thanks.

GET A PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION BY A BONA FIDE PORSCHE PERSON.

This will be something I will definitely be having done. This investment is something I am going to hopefully live with for the rest of my life and enjoy, a few hundred up front is nothing compared to what it could cost in the long run buying a lemon.

Hi, Aquaholic.

Welcome to the forum.

A few other questions you should ask.

Do you want the best performance you can get for the money ?

What other cars have you had ?

And what are my performance expectations ?

If I could spend the same money on a Porsche and get something better than a 76, would I do it ?

Budget ?

Worth a thought.  :)

That black car is at The Healey Factory. It's been there a long time. They have quite a few 911s. If you are in Melbourne that would be a good first place to go and touch 911s.

Newcastle - scrap that idea then :)

i bought my 2002 from the healey factory and they were very helpful and fairly priced.

when i had troubles with getting a roadworthy on it in qld (oil leak from the fuel pump seal, shocks worn out, simple stuff) they even refunded some money to replace them.

that black 911 has different bumpers, flares, wing and wheels - it's not original, if that's a negative or positive to you. engine looks nice

i bought my 2002 from the healey factory and they were very helpful and fairly priced.

when i had troubles with getting a roadworthy on it in qld (oil leak from the fuel pump seal, shocks worn out, simple stuff) they even refunded some money to replace them.

that black 911 has different bumpers, flares, wing and wheels - it's not original, if that's a negative or positive to you. engine looks nice

Yes they are very good in there :) Sounds like they really looked after you.

Get a Carrera 3.0.

There is something distinctly different about the whole driving experience with them as opposed to later 911 SC's and Carrera's.

I strongly recommend getting one as there are not many left and they only made <3500 of them.

Isn't there a silver one for sale on the forum at the moment.

Get a Carrera 3.0.

There is something distinctly different about the whole driving experience with them as opposed to later 911 SC's and Carrera's.

I strongly recommend getting one as there are not many left and they only made <3500 of them.

Isn't there a silver one for sale on the forum at the moment.

Yes, Mike's. I have sent Mike a PM and a sms to confirm if it is still for sale, he had put seats and a half cage in but all can be removed and replaced with OEM bits as I believe that was his intention if he sold it. It is a very nice car indeed.

Yes, Mike's. I have sent Mike a PM and a sms to confirm if it is still for sale, he had put seats and a half cage in but all can be removed and replaced with OEM bits as I believe that was his intention if he sold it. It is a very nice car indeed.

Yep, silver on black impact bumper Carrera 3.0 is about as cool as it gets.

I get people stopping me all the time to talk about my car. Its the epitome of an impact bumper.

I'm not saying it will appreciate in value I am just saying that out of the 100+ 911s I have viewed over the years and driven, the C3 spoke my language...........the lightweight C 2.7 Crankshaft makes for a wonderful top end rush. Its ligher than later ones as well.

You can tell I am in love with it still.

I think Mike is trying to work out a way to keep the C3...and why wouldn't you/he?

Hi, Aquaholic.

Welcome to the forum.

A few other questions you should ask.

Do you want the best performance you can get for the money ?

What other cars have you had ?

And what are my performance expectations ?

If I could spend the same money on a Porsche and get something better than a 76, would I do it ?

Budget ?

Worth a thought.  :)

Thanks Vas,

Yes, the best performance for my money but restricting myself to a 76 model for now.

It's a rather large list if I include company cars but personally, my first car was a Gemini, moved into a VN Commodore then to a VT then to an XR8 Ute then a Toyota Hilux. Been looking after an MGB for the last 4 years that spilled out of the old man's garage.

I expect it will blow the doors of the MGB but with the same style of ride.

At this stage (early days of looking) I am going to stick to a 76 model. If I was to look at newer I would jump to new or only a few years old.

Looking to see what I can get for 40-45k. Happy to stretch that for the right car but it will have to be worth the extra coin.

Sounds like a reputable company to deal with.

It's a nice looking car but I would prefer something a little closer to original.

I did see Mike's post and have been keeping an eye on CarSales for it to come up. Not exactly what I am looking for but worth considering for sure.

Thank you everyone for the input thus far.

If you have 45K to spend, get a nice mid 80s 3.2 Carrera.

That is the best Porsche 911 you will get for that money.

But if you want a 76, thats great.

Good luck, hope you find what you want.  :)

I think Mike is trying to work out a way to keep the C3...and why wouldn't you/he?

.......yes working very very very hard at trying to keep her! Things have been looking a little more promising in recent times, so have held off taking the next step. Sorry for not updating sooner, but fully focused on doing whatever I can to keep her in my garage! The 76 C3 is an absolute delight (and thrill) to drive. 

On the question of whether you will fit at 6'1, easy as I am 6'4 and have heaps of room even with a helmet on.

Mike

More or less what the others have said. You have a very small window open to you in regards to cars that will fit within your needs. I've found with time and seeing enough cars the right one will pop up. You just have to have your eyes open to them.

Good to see another Newcastle guy on here.

Archived