The search is on for a 1976 Porsche

67aa_1_zps7048cf5a.jpg

This is a Carrera 3.0 engine bay, not a good example.  Import from USA. The AC compressor in this car was sitting on the passenger floor at the time.  You can see the AC mount and the condenser mounted to the engine lid.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popped my Porsche cheery yesterday, eventually.

A couple of questions,

Is the peddle position something you get use too and find comfortable eventually?

Does it phase you getting out of your Porsche and into another car and driving off? I got out of the sportomatic and into the Hilux last night and it felt strange for the first minute or so and was wondering how it would feel after driving the Porsche for a few days to jump into something with normal peddle position.

When did center consoles come in in Porsche's as I find on a long drive without one my shoulder which I broke my collar bone a few years ago aches without out that support. Mind you I drive with my hand resting on the gear knob in most manuals, something you can't do in a sportomatic.

Ben

1. yes, i don't notice anything odd about the positioning, and i switch between the 911 and 3-4 other cars each week when i'm driving. it might be odd at first?

2. if you drive the porsche for long periods and get into a car you haven't driven in a while, it can feel strange at first before it comes back. but again, if you're swapping between them weekly you won't notice it.

3. the centre console is very easy to remove or install! it's not moulded into the dash but actually a separate piece. i removed mine so now i also have a foot rest which helps with the pedal position question above also. if you buy a car without a centre console don't fret; you can get one off someone like me who removed theirs.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured it would be something you would soon become accustom and if not would put up with the be able to drive a Porsche.

@Oz930 Thanks for the engine shots, good little reference tools. And yes I was referring to the arm rest style of console but it's good to know the other type can be sourced as clutch-monkey mentioned I have seen a car or two online that they have been removed from.

To 76, or not to 76? That is now the question.

So I have exhausted all avenues freely available to me in my search for a 1976 model Carrera 3 and have come full circle back to this car in QLD, the first one pictured below and here is the link to it on Carsales. Whilst I have had my heart set on a 76 model car I have been searching Carsales to compare what else I could get for the same money without restricting it down to the one year. For around the 55-60k I could step into either one of the below.

cp5193981493747617291.jpg

131585160.jpghttp://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-930-1985-14657528?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=15&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%204294963765%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Price%3aMin%2c60000~1&sort=Price

135689817.jpghttp://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-911-carrera-2000-14589914?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=19&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%204294963765%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Price%3aMin%2c60000~1&sort=Price

If you were me, which way would you be leaning?

Which car is going to hold or hopefully increase in value (the 76 and 85 model)?

Do I follow my head and go for something newer, less KM and newer technology or something my vintage, a classic or soon to be, that I can historic register etc etc?

The old head over heart debate.

Cheers in advanced for the replies.

Ben

I have bugger all knowledge of what is what in the Porsche fraternity with being a novice, yet as the 76 is practically the same price as a 2000 model, that kinda says it all to me.

As stated above, you need to drive them both. They are the same but different. Keep looking and keep trying to sit in and drive as many as you can until you find what 'floats yout boat'. It's like the auto vs manual, drive both, you will know what you want once you do that.

3.0 will be worth more than you paid for it in 10 years. Cooking model 996 will be worth less. The 996 will make for a better daily car for comfort levels of stuff but the 3.0 will feel like your in a classic car each time you drive it.

For me if its a weekend car you drive to work now and again like I do then I would get the older car. But in the end I would go with what pulls on your hart strings the most.

We have spoken and it a few times on here but I think early impact bumper cars are the next big thing.

Thanks for the advise guys. I think I might pop down to Sydney tomorrow and have a look at (hopefully drive) a few more cars.

For me if its a weekend car you drive to work now and again like I do then I would get the older car. But in the end I would go with what pulls on your hart strings the most.

I hope my head listened to that Martin, it's what my heart has been telling it since 2am this morning.

To 76, or not to 76? That is now the question.

So I have exhausted all avenues freely available to me in my search

Cheers in advanced for the replies.

Ben

how long have you been searching? took me a year to get the one i wanted, i'm sure some here went for longer haha. don't settle for less than what you want just because it's not on the market right now imo.

Have you thought about a Boxster. Get a pretty good one for $60k. Just thought as you are now considering a 996...

Tomorrow is the beginning of looking at it from a different angle so I am sure to check a couple out.

how long have you been searching? took me a year to get the one i wanted, i'm sure some here went for longer haha. don't settle for less than what you want just because it's not on the market right now imo.

Not long, only a month. The trouble with what I want is there were limited numbers delivered to Australia in 76 so the chances of finding it are thin but I really don't need to rush, it's a matter of wanting one now. B)

So from the looks of the below the 911 Carerra 3 in QLD is a 1976 build but a 1977 model. Am I reading the plates correctly?

I would have thought the compliance plate would have been dated after the build date.

Carrera30019_zps90b1c666.jpg

The way I decipher the VIN (9117600825) it is a 911 1977 model Carrera 3.0.

IMAG0163_zps0b296df1.jpg

First plate is mounted at the factory when the car is built. Second plate is mounted here in Australia when the car arrives for what would of been back then it's "low volume" import approval.

Edit. Interesting that the AU plate denotes "911 SC COUPE". Build date is 11/76 on the tags and VIN is 9117600825. How many 3.0 where built on total?

First plate is mounted at the factory when the car is built. Second plate is mounted here in Australia when the car arrives for what would of been back then it's "low volume" import approval.

Edit. Interesting that the AU plate denotes "911 SC COUPE". Build date is 11/76 on the tags and VIN is 9117600825. How many 3.0 where built on total?

The Factory Vin plate also says 911 SC in the top LHS. It is definitely a C3. Porsche Factory Plates are confusing at Best, my 912 has "356B" on it.

GET ONE!!

Remember <3500 worldwide. RHD targa's are the rarest.

Take up the offer of a squirt in the silver one.........They are wonderful things to drive...........top end race to the limiter is pure symphony of acceleration and howl.

Just spoke to the Porsche Centre in Sydney. It is a 77 model car that would have been built between August and October in 1976. It then was shipped to Australia where it arrived and was given its compliance plate in November 76. So it is a 76 built and compliance car but it is a 77 model.

They were very helpful and are going to email head office in Melbourne and see what other info they can dig up on the car and give me a call back.

Cheers

Ben

I've been given first dibs on this 1976 model and compliance 911 C3. Not a lot of long term history on the car but the last few years since Autohaus Hamilton sold it, is all there.

http://www.autohaushamilton.com.au/LeeseCarrera3.html

What do you think?

Not sure about the colour but the more I look at it the more I like it. The iPhone did funny things with the colour, from memory it's more like Autohaus's pictures that the ones below.

IMG_1728_zps726bf139.jpg

IMG_1729_zps5692f6b1.jpg

IMG_1731_zpsdae12913.jpg

IMG_1730_zps0c15f3a8.jpg

It's been fully resprayed, all new rubbers installed, full re trim, engine and gearbox appear to have been done at some stage but it was some time ago. No oil leaks from the look of the garage floor of where she is kept. Will  be speaking to the mechanic who maintains it tomorrow for more information but he put me onto it as being the best he has seen in many years. Given that he will be the one to continue to have to maintain it I am not sure whether to believe him or not. :)

Archived