What Tyres?

Russ

Okay, so after a brown pants moment earlier this afternoon (on a slightly damp road), i've decided cheap tyres have no place on a 911.

anyone have any suggestions? in a 205 and 215?

after a brown pants moment earlier this afternoon

I almost had the same, after eating all those damn Easter eggs! :o

Seriously though, I'm running some pretty basic Bridgestones Potenzas- they do the trick for me and didn't cost an arm/leg.

Mine are 15s, and I actually didn't have too much choice at the time, as many makers didn't have anything suitable...

Tyres on these babies are so important and often underrated.

I was absolutely shocked to see some "All Rounders" on a 911 recently, and regardless that the cars may not be driven hard they are designed for high performance and each aspect of the car should be in balance.

Spend some coin on some good tyres whatever car you drive.

when I put a nice sound system into an inexpensive car ppl would sometimes say "why ? the car is not worth much" and I would say "the car doesn't listen to it, I do". Same logic applies to tyres, they are not there for the car, they are there to protect you. What are you worth ?

I use Michelin Pilot Sport 3 btw

I liked the Direzza Stars as well but time for new set.

I did get them for free with a set of rims, but at over $400 each I may look at RE001 which front I can get at $250 each - still shopping !

Russ,

Because we are in Brisbane, we dont seem to have the range available. I wanted Continental Sport Contacts for the

rear of the 3.2, couldnt get them anywhere.(Thats what was on there and still on the front).

So I asked around other P drivers, of course most had differing opinions, however Kumho's kept getting mentioned.

http://www.kumho.com.au/blog/products/ecsta-spt-ku31/

So far I have found them very good, however no wet weather driving as yet. Also I think they were <$200 a tyre,

price was not really a consideration, but hey it all helps.

Hope to see you on the 14th

cheers

John

I have a pair of KU31 Kumho 255/50/17 on the rear of mine and have had no problems in wet or dry, but haven't tried any spirited driving in either condition yet. (Various reasons for this). I went for the KU31 because of better tyre wear, quieter (than what I don't know but they are not too bad) and good reports in the wet.  Although everyone said they backed off in the wet.

There are various testimonials that the KU36 had to be up to temperature to work well, so could be a little treacherous in the wet. This tyre is designed to be a street legal sprint tyre from what I have read.

The KU31 also has a run flat version in some sizes as well, if that helps.

A lot of Skyline guys are are going for Federal.  Cheap (or were until they became popular) and grippy.

Guys, we have a whole thread on this subject.

Thanks Vas.

The good thing about keeping it in the same thread is how easy it makes finding the info in the future.

Unless its a DD, put the softest compound tyre you can get on it.

Look to the tarmac rally tyres.

These will last two years for a weekender.

Nothing you do to the rest of the car can match the grip a nice set of soft tyres will give.

Its the cheapest step up you can make to your Porsche.

Give it a go, you will never go back. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Russ, 

Have you put new tyres on your car yet?

I'm looking for 195/65 15 on 7" and 215/60 15 on 8", There does not seem to be many options for these sizes, I am considering Falken ZE912. Any comments?

I was considering Toyo TEO plus until I spoke to the rep and he said that you risk side wall damage on a 911.

Cheers

Ray

Archived