WTB 991.2 GT3 manual

DM911

Dear all.

I am keen to get back into 991.2 GT3 manual. 

Would love to have black. But can consider any other colours (other than guards red or speed yellow). 

Has to be club sports. 

I already sold one porsche and selling the another one soon to create a space for GT3. 

Please PM if keen to have a chat. 

Regards.

DM911

8 minutes ago, tomk86 said:

Thanks @tomk86. Yes it's a nice spec and awesome looking car. but asking price is just too much and unrealistic.  I a hoping that they will come down in next 4-6 months. I can play with my current  gt3 until then 😆 .!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2023 at 20:23, tomk86 said:

Enquired about this car. Has over raves in all three ranges. Not under warranty. Porsche centre new castle cannot extend the warranty. Price apparently is NEGOTIABLE, I feel it's a suicide mission, unless you get a BIIIG discount. 🙄

37 minutes ago, hugh said:

Unless you want a PDK car, you'll likely find most have over rev's. 

Thanks.  Concern would be its impact on engine longevity. ! When checked with porsche centre new castle, they said, there is no way of assessing its impact on engines' longevity. 

49 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

in your estimation is it due to 'too much fun' or inexperience? 

Both of these factors play a role. It's not hard to do if you are in the heat of it on track and/or in competition. I love my manuals but I'd only ever buy a PDK car for track/competition use as it's just another variable you don't need to have to risk and/or manage. 

29 minutes ago, DM911 said:

Thanks.  Concern would be its impact on engine longevity. ! When checked with porsche centre new castle, they said, there is no way of assessing its impact on engines' longevity. 

Correct. It's highly likely it will be fine, but it's an expensive risk to take. 

2 hours ago, DM911 said:

If you can find out the number of hours the engine has done since the high over revs, this should put your mind at ease. 

The fabled 'money shift'. I'd be surprised if less than 80% of manual GT3s don't have overrevs - imo the whole thing is overblown like every other mechanical issue in the Porsche world. I'm sure in <1% of cases it matters, but for most cars it will make no difference in their babied existence.

34 minutes ago, micknine01 said:

If you can find out the number of hours the engine has done since the high over revs, this should put your mind at ease. 

Any particular number of hours we are looking at.? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, sleazius said:

The fabled 'money shift'. I'd be surprised if less than 80% of manual GT3s don't have overrevs - imo the whole thing is overblown like every other mechanical issue in the Porsche world. I'm sure in <1% of cases it matters, but for most cars it will make no difference in their babied existence.

Thanks, is it particularly higher in 991.2s or even in 996/7 gt3?. I feel its easy to do it in 991.2s.

18 minutes ago, DM911 said:

Any particular number of hours we are looking at.? Thanks.

I’m not sure about 991 so I won’t give you a number, call autohaus or similar to find out exactly. 

30 minutes ago, sleazius said:

What he said ! 

2 hours ago, micknine01 said:

The earlier version had a "number of hours since" log as part of the ECU dump, but they had fewer overrev ranges.  Later cars have 5 or 6 ranges???  Perhaps there is a "number of hours" log for each overrev range???

And I agree with Sleazious, it's probably much overblown.  My 996.1 had quite a high range overrev shown, but on discussions with PO, it was a result of a mis-downshift going into a corner at Sandown, so no load on the engine.  I would have perhaps been more concerned if the overrev had while going up through the gears with a much higher load......  Plus is was many hundreds of hours ago, so if there was going to be a problem, it would have shown up during the 20,000kms I did in 2 years.....

14 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

The earlier version had a "number of hours since" log as part of the ECU dump, but they had fewer overrev ranges.  Later cars have 5 or 6 ranges???  Perhaps there is a "number of hours" log for each overrev range???

And I agree with Sleazious, it's probably much overblown.  My 996.1 had quite a high range overrev shown, but on discussions with PO, it was a result of a mis-downshift going into a corner at Sandown, so no load on the engine.  I would have perhaps been more concerned if the overrev had while going up through the gears with a much higher load......  Plus is was many hundreds of hours ago, so if there was going to be a problem, it would have shown up during the 20,000kms I did in 2 years.....

Thanks, it's reassuring.  I guess worth considering they come with some warranty and you will have the opportunity to extend it for your peace of mind. !

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/04/2023 at 17:23, TwoHeadsTas said:

You shouldn't be able to overrev going up the gears. That is what a rev-limiter is for. Overrev's (at least in my understanding) are basically solely on downshifts, either money shifting (unintentionally going down gears instead of up) or changing down and letting the clutch out too early and forcing the revs above the rev-limit. 

6 minutes ago, MFX said:

You shouldn't be able to overrev going up the gears. That is what a rev-limiter is for. Overrev's (at least in my understanding) are basically solely on downshifts, either money shifting (unintentionally going down gears instead of up) or changing down and letting the clutch out too early and forcing the revs above the rev-limit. 

I think @TwoHeadsTas means accidentally going back one gear while attempting to upshift (e.g going from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th). This generally is better than fluffing a down shift as you usually accidentally skip two gears in that type of situation.  Also if you stuff the upshift you’ll feel the sudden loss of momentum quickly and usually dip the clutch. I have done this once in my 996 cup and the result was a sub 9K overrev for less than 1/4 of a second before the clutch was disengaged. 

4 minutes ago, spiller said:

I think @TwoHeadsTas means accidentally going back one gear while attempting to upshift (e.g going from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th). This generally is better than fluffing a down shift as you usually accidentally skip two gears in that type of situation, and if you stuff the upshift you’ll feel the sudden loss of momentum quickly and generally dip the clutch. 

That is the definition of a money shift and often ends VERY badly.. That is why it is called a money shift because it is usually a very expensive mistake ;)

@MFX have a read of my last bit. If you’re going to stuff up a gear shift, I’d take this one over a 5th to 2nd (instead of 4th) any day! The latter will likely see 10,500 plus and usually a long duration as you’re already expecting the car to slow down and won’t react as quickly with the clutch dip. 

6 minutes ago, spiller said:

I have done this once in my 996 cup and the result was a sub 9K overrev for less than 1/4 of a second before the clutch was disengaged. 

It sounds like you were super quick to catch it and got away with it. Either way it happens, it is not ideal ;)