Backfires...

Kerry

Ever since I've had my 2.7 he has always let out a backfire on rev over-runs, (when I say "always", maybe 3-5 times on a one way trip over the Black Spur driven in "spirited" mode)

I have asked those who have worked on him and I seem to get the old "Ah, they all do that" type answer. He has had three different mechanics (at different workshops) give him a tune up, and with varying degrees he has let one go on the over-run.

Now I don't mind... the paintwork above the exhaust outlet was well scorched long before I gave him a bit of stick, and although it gives my dearly beloved a reason to cast a scornful eye and a cats bum mouth as we approach the roundabout, I quite like it!

The question is... is it really that harmless, or am I going to be left with one of those trick cigars that MAD magazine might use!?

<_<

Kerry

post-2-125048283773_thumb.jpg

Ever since I've had my 2.7 he has always let out a backfire on rev over-runs, (when I say "always", maybe 3-5 times on a one way trip over the Black Spur driven in "spirited" mode)

I have asked those who have worked on him and I seem to get the old "Ah, they all do that" type answer. He has had three different mechanics (at different workshops) give him a tune up, and with varying degrees he has let one go on the over-run.

Now I don't mind... the paintwork above the exhaust outlet was well scorched long before I gave him a bit of stick, and although it gives my dearly beloved a reason to cast a scornful eye and a cats bum mouth as we approach the roundabout, I quite like it!

The question is... is it really that harmless, or am I going to be left with one of those trick cigars that MAD magazine might use!?

<_<

Kerry

Ah, they all do that!

The MFI is meant to be run fairly rich on these cars so you will always get the popping and banging on the overrun. Exhaust type and SSIs makes a difference to how how loud the bangs are!

• 5 months later...

if you read the original owners manual(mfi?)

it clearly states that these engines are prone(or words to that effect)to backfiring

i have set these cars up on a dyno ,all new engine and mfi etc

set the tuning with all factory calibration protracters ,loaded as per factory w/shop specs,etc,etc

all perfect ,

drive the car runs perfect

give to owner,oh theres a slight backfire on over run,

recheck everything scratch head for a few days

then read the owners manual

boy was i stoked :D

as i said ,car was perfect

that was over 20 years ago :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

Ah, they all do that!

The MFI is meant to be run fairly rich on these cars so you will always get the popping and banging on the overrun. Exhaust type and SSIs makes a difference to how how loud the bangs are!

Indeed , having just put the SSi's and a Monty muffler on yesterday , I have noticed a little pluffing on the overrun - just a hint and quite retro. It was probably there before but got muffled down. Exhaust pop is fine , intake pop is not! Now , I just got to get me some some turbo flames on decel  :)

i was reading this before my drive this morning sad that it didn't happen in my car

then i was making noise in the tunnel it did it

wonder how long till it destroys the CIS box (although i assume the germans are one step ahead of my thought process, and that's why the air filter straps are rubber so they have some give in them)

i was reading this before my drive this morning sad that it didn't happen in my car

then i was making noise in the tunnel it did it

wonder how long till it destroys the CIS box (although i assume the germans are one step ahead of my thought process, and that's why the air filter straps are rubber so they have some give in them)

Intake backfire is different from exhaust backfire. The latter is better thought of as afterfire. Both may be caused by mixtures out of whack or timing issues. CIS engines are set up a little rich to help with warmup and reduce the risk of burning valves. A little afterfire is normal.  The intake backfire on the other hand , is a no good situation!

they all do that sir. however leaks in the exhaust system will make it louder and more noticable. removal of the muffler and replacing the gaskets, along with muffler gasket goo ( not muffler putty ) can reduce this. but. why? me likes the pops and bangs. thats what makes these old school 911s rock. All it is,  is fuel burning in the exhaust that didnt burn in the chamber.  downside? burnt valves if you potter around. always drive them longer than 39 minutes. always take them to 6k. always clear their throats. simples.

they all do that sir. however leaks in the exhaust system will make it louder and more noticable. removal of the muffler and replacing the gaskets, along with muffler gasket goo ( not muffler putty ) can reduce this. but. why? me likes the pops and bangs. thats what makes these old school 911s rock. All it is,  is fuel burning in the exhaust that didnt burn in the chamber.  downside? burnt valves if you potter around. always drive them longer than 39 minutes. always take them to 6k. always clear their throats. simples.

Wise words Wasser, but why 39 minutes?

I can hear an exhaust sound thread coming on! Will be soon...

Yes...  you could all do that with your go pros!  pointing/mounting the go pro off the back of the rear lid or on the side of the rear fender.. then taking off as quick as you can. Would record the visuals and sounds!

I wasn't happy with the coughs and bangs from the B&B system so I've done something about it. I added a turbo and fuel injecion that I can add 2% open injector on overrun to make sure I get bigger pops/bangs/flames.

MMMMMMMM Flames

Yep, sign me up for that mod!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived