Porsche Mission X hypercar

Raven

I'm a bit underwhelmed given all the hype around "the big reveal" on June 8, with it only to be another concept car.  I mean, they've had plenty of well received & pretty cool concept cars drip fed over the past couple of years and nothing has been produced for sale.  Even if this concept made it to production, only the uber-wealthy could afford it so where's the joy in that?

Mission R / Renndienst or even a streetable version of the Vision E would be super cool & affordable.

15 hours ago, JWM said:

Did they announce anything else (rumoured 911 ST, etc) today or just this one?

There was a lot of buzz on RENNLIST about the ST release , but obviously it is for a later date , this was  the big reveal they were hinting at :Beer:

22 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed given all the hype around "the big reveal" on June 8, with it only to be another concept car.  I mean, they've had plenty of well received & pretty cool concept cars drip fed over the past couple of years and nothing has been produced for sale.  Even if this concept made it to production, only the uber-wealthy could afford it so where's the joy in that?

Mission R / Renndienst or even a streetable version of the Vision E would be super cool & affordable.

agree if it does go into production it will be a million plus Euro sales price car , that,s cool but not really relevant to the average  enthusiast , I was looking forward to seeing the finished production ST :Beer:

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, LeeM said:

How long would a track day last though? 

Battery or tyres ?  

Charing rate and infrastructure will get better, I don't believe you would have issue with charge times in 4 years like we have now. 

However.. It is very possible to have new chemistry breakthrough and have half the weight batteries with more range, this would make couple year old Mission X power to weight be comparable to new Hyundai. 😀 

Thats one issue 918 owners didn't have to worry about.

New hypercar era will be interesting and probably be driven by looks and desire alone RIP ICE.

6 hours ago, PotsAndPans said:

Battery or tyres ?  

Charing rate and infrastructure will get better, I don't believe you would have issue with charge times in 4 years like we have now.  

New hypercar era will be interesting and probably be driven by looks and desire alone RIP ICE.

Batteries.

And I mean now, not in 4 years time. How long can this car drive flat out for? 

Everything gradually gets better with time, and battery technology is no different, yet there won't be any EV doing a 12 or 24 hour endurance racing. I'm also very sure there won't be any ''RIP ICE'', as the governments around the world would stand to lose trillions of fuel tax dollars.

Maybe hybrid racing will continue on which is fair enough, but solely battery powered competition? Not a chance 

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Batteries.

And I mean now, not in 4 years time. How long can this car drive flat out for? 

Everything gradually gets better with time, and battery technology is no different, yet there won't be any EV doing a 12 or 24 hour endurance racing. I'm also very sure there won't be any ''RIP ICE'', as the governments around the world would stand to lose trillions of fuel tax dollars.

Maybe hybrid racing will continue on which is fair enough, but solely battery powered competition? Not a chance 

I agree with ICE statement. However mission x is still a concept and still years away. I expect 20% more range, 20% less weight with Rimac Nevera performance and thats without new ground breaking battery tech.

No reason why you can't race 24hr EV today, it's just not what public want to see.  You could run 3 different cars one for each driver or bit like MotoGP and bike hotswap.

Flat out, do you mean in power delivery or driving style two different things.. 24hr GT3 race, cars are being driven flat out, but I assure you they are not in flat out fuel consumption mode.  

One thing that is rarely mentioned in the EV debate is the degradation that high current charging causes to the lithium batteries themselves. The manufacturers are keen to gloss over it, and you hear very little about it in the motoring press as well.

The faster you charge lithium batteries, the fewer total cycles you get out of them.

EV is definitely one future path for cars, however with current battery technology it feels like nothing more than a stop gap until they get the battery tech right.

5 hours ago, PotsAndPans said:

I agree with ICE statement. However mission x is still a concept and still years away. I expect 20% more range, 20% less weight with Rimac Nevera performance and thats without new ground breaking battery tech

No reason why you can't race 24hr EV today, it's just not what public want to see.  You could run 3 different cars one for each driver or bit like MotoGP and bike hotswap.

I understand Mission X is a concept, yet 20% gaining the interim is not much is it? 

3 different cars, one for each driver? Kind of defeats the purpose of endurance racing then doesn't it? Formula E had car swaps mid race, and MotoE is hilarious, as at best they'll do 8 laps, or the Isle of Man just ONE 36 mile lap, so if you want my honest opinion, that's a complete joke, and the concept of any battery powered vehicle being able to run even a 6 hour endurance race now is laughable.

I know it sounds like I'm 'anti ev', but I'm not (to a point), as I do believe they have a place in society as commuters, yet to even think they will be the future of motorsport is beyond a pipe dream by those behind the technology. 

But that's my opinion 👍

2 hours ago, sleazius said:

One thing that is rarely mentioned in the EV debate is the degradation that high current charging causes to the lithium batteries themselves. The manufacturers are keen to gloss over it, and you hear very little about it in the motoring press as well.

The faster you charge lithium batteries, the fewer total cycles you get out of them.

EV is definitely one future path for cars, however with current battery technology it feels like nothing more than a stop gap until they get the battery tech right.

Not an issue in motorsport. Look at the cost of a single piston in F1( close to 100k per piston )

I would buy EV for a daily, however not brand new. I couldn't stomach 40% hit in 2 years on 400k. 

I'm a little skeptical of battery technology improving much. We've had batteries for a bloody long time and every single adult has had experience with batteries of all kinds and they are pains in the arse - they are consumables. That's probably what we have to accept - that batteries are consumables and we need to make them cheap. The problem with that is the environmental destruction would be massive and probably far worse than any ICE car.

I think EV's have their place and I also think most city slickers are fine with an EV only car to the point that 99% of people won't go back once they get an EV. I think EV's are only one piece of personal transport and I don't like how the government is forcing us all on to EV's. Let EV's compete on their own terms - if they are so good, they'll muscle out the ICE cars anyway.

As for Mission X - maybe the closest we'll get is the new Boxster?

22 hours ago, PotsAndPans said:

Not an issue in motorsport. Look at the cost of a single piston in F1( close to 100k per piston )

I would buy EV for a daily, however not brand new. I couldn't stomach 40% hit in 2 years on 400k. 

Agree 100% - my post was referring to road cars.

I think for the moment at least 40% haircut is the least of an owners worries. If we're going to stick with this battery technology for the foreseeable future the batteries need to be easily replaced, and we need far better recycling than we currently have.

The way it currently stands for a lot of electric cars you've effectively bought an iPhone in car format that will be obsolete in x number of years once the battery degrades to a point the car isn't fit for purpose.

Watched a video on Instagram recently of 3 or 4 blokes in the US had bought used higher mileage ev/hybrids for $20k or something, yet all of them needed the batteries replaced at costs from $20,000 to $50,000 😅

I mean really...if you're buying high mileage ev's, how would you not consider the usage life is going to be limited? This is why some car yards won't buy or trade them in, so they'll be worthless in the very near future. Recipe for disaster just waiting to happen if you ask me

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3uclLANcv8/?igsh=dTF4dzR2YzBzb2g0