Der Frosch

35SIXXX

Thought I’d start a build on my 911.

No plans to do anything major to it. Just a tidy up really. Biggest job will be to put an interior in it. Still getting ideas together for that. 
The first little projects so far:

Added side mirrors. 
Tidy up the deck lid grille which I painted black. Couldn’t work out how to remove the chrome 2.7 badge, so ended up just taping it up. Turned out OK. 

5AB845DB-51DA-422C-B7F8-E7EE7312FA79.jpeg

FD9F9462-B7B2-493A-9B9B-B563B4087420.jpeg

AC10A656-BC45-4D4F-905E-763EC2F7368A.jpeg

016496F7-3B4D-4063-9953-FA58B0ED8120.jpeg

1C948C33-1751-4762-B6A6-D22D42FB40C6.jpeg

8E112B21-35FE-452B-9A83-A49AF02816B5.jpeg

6D643278-66FD-49C3-945A-5853D8F331DE.jpeg

039E8AB0-284E-4E8E-B159-466E776B7710.jpeg

7 hours ago, Harsh said:

Looks the dogs nuts.....where did you get the mirrors from?

Kane at Zuffenhaus organised them. Not sure where he ordered them from, but they were roughly the same price as I could get them myself through Design 911. 

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

Very nice mate 🐸

Just a personal thing as I hate them, yet removing the bumper overriders will clean that rear up perfectly...in my opinion 👍

Yeah, I’m not sure I want to get rid of them just yet. I used to hate them, but they’re growing on me. I did wonder if anyone’s ever made a slightly smaller version of them. Maybe something closer to the 901 types 🤔

9 hours ago, OZ930 said:

2 door Datto…nice 😊

Well spotted. 2 door sedan from the US with an Sr20det. I’m impressed you can tell it’s a 2 door from that photo🤘🏼

4 hours ago, JWM said:

And lovely white (such a good colour for them) 996 parked on the street 😁

Yeah it’s beautiful. Not mine I’m afraid. 

1 hour ago, 35SIXXX said:

Yeah, I’m not sure I want to get rid of them just yet. I used to hate them, but they’re growing on me. I did wonder if anyone’s ever made a slightly smaller version of them. Maybe something closer to the 901 types 🤔

I saw some on a car in the US somewhere that were at least half the thickness of the Australian ones. I vaguely remember the owner cut the horrendously massive US ones and sealed them back up

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

I saw some on a car in the US somewhere that were at least half the thickness of the Australian ones. I vaguely remember the owner cut the horrendously massive US ones and sealed them back up

I’ll let you know how many hours it takes me to find it.

On 21/07/2023 at 21:12, LeeM said:

I spent 15 minutes, so good luck! 😅🤔

After an hour or so, I haven’t found it yet 🤦🏼‍♂️

The silver trim window frames look awful on this car. The previous owner had painted them black at some point, and only removed 90% of the paint when they’d decided to go back to silver. 
I wasn’t sure how difficult it’d be to remove the remaining paint so I did a test this morning with some polish and a Dremel. 
Thankfully, it came off relatively easily, but I now have several hours in front of me to get them looking good. 
i also can’t rule out finding some damage under the paint. Maybe there’s a reason they were painted in the first place. 
Hopefully the work will be well worth it. 

0A765AA1-F061-4E07-9E6E-9C422D2E2162.jpeg

1720FC0A-0727-4514-B601-DED903F42882.jpeg

19 minutes ago, 35SIXXX said:

i also can’t rule out finding some damage under the paint. Maybe there’s a reason they were painted in the first place. 
Hopefully the work will be well worth it. 

Sadly, I can nearly guarantee that mate

Most paint them when they start to see the brass coming through, as having them stripped and recoated isn't that cheap.

@AndrewW wrapped his old Carrera frames himself. Labour intensive job, yet you could hardly tell it was chrome vinyl , so that might be an option for you if you know of a vinyl wrap mob in your state. Or have a crack yourself 

42 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

I did find that car, but didn’t think it was the one. I don’t mind the look of them… but wonder how a standard bumper would look without the custom slots. Possibly too much flat space either side of the number plate?

Will do some more research on those Fiat bumperettes. 

10 hours ago, hugh said:

Excited to see this progress mate, keep it coming. I’m all for embracing the impact bumpers though. 

Thanks Hugh. And thanks for all the insight leading up to the purchase of this car.
Yeah, I’m liking the overriders more and more. I want the car to look simple and classic… not super modified.