991.1 GTS vs 997.2 GTS

911virgin

I get the 'S' badge means something to a base Carrera and I also get the GT cars 2/3/4 and respective RS versions of those. Beyond that though, I don't really get the significance, especially in terms of an 'investment' proposition by the numerous other badges/variants Porsche has to offer. I'm likely in the minority but the real substance behind these other numerous badges at their perceived values is questionable. Don't get me started on the 'R', 'ST' or 'turbo' badge on the Taycan! 

47 minutes ago, hugh said:

I get the 'S' badge means something to a base Carrera and I also get the GT cars 2/3/4 and respective RS versions of those. Beyond that though, I don't really get the significance, especially in terms of an 'investment' proposition by the numerous other badges/variants Porsche has to offer. I'm likely in the minority but the real substance behind these other numerous badges at their perceived values is questionable. Don't get me started on the 'R', 'ST' or 'turbo' badge on the Taycan! 

International law requires all motoring journalists to anoint the GTS of any model Porsche releases (From Carrera to Macan to Taycan) a bunch of options ticked on an S "the sweet spot of the range", thus making them a blue chip investment.

1 hour ago, HWY said:

well I drive a base model 997.2 manual.  only options are the ones I want- sports exhaust, 19" alloys from the S, multi-function steering wheel to operate my 6 stack CD player. Boom!

Perfect!

38 minutes ago, HWY said:

It is  shame my wife threw out all my CDs during some house move not remembering I can keep 6 of them in the car. So I have been listening to the same 6 CDs for the past 5 years.

Yep certain  person in the family has hundreds  of cds but you only ever hear the same 20 songs 😀

6 hours ago, HWY said:

It is  shame my wife threw out all my CDs during some house move not remembering I can keep 6 of them in the car. So I have been listening to the same 6 CDs for the past 5 years.

Sounds like me, though I have probably 100 cd's in the van.

Sadly the player is jumping a bit, so I'll have to get a new one. Can't do that Spotify/streaming thing

5 hours ago, tomo said:

Yep certain  person in the family has hundreds  of cds but you only ever hear the same 20 songs 😀

Also me 😅

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

Sounds like me, though I have probably 100 cd's in the van.

Sadly the player is jumping a bit, so I'll have to get a new one. Can't do that Spotify/streaming thing

Also me 😅

I will swap you my 6 for any random of yours....   So tired of listening to the same CDs so it is often back to FM radio.  Living the dream

On 28/10/2023 at 10:53, HWY said:

I will swap you my 6 for any random of yours....   So tired of listening to the same CDs so it is often back to FM radio.  Living the dream

Mate, I have a very diverse musical taste, from listening to the 3 Tenors busting out Nessun Dorma (do yourself a favour and listen to that up loud!), to Metallica and Tool turned up to tinnitus inducing volume levels. Currently on an Oasis and Smashing Pumpkins binge as I'm learning their songs on guitar.

Can't listen to commercial FM with all their football and DJ's spitting out their incessant, gobshite diatribe thinking they're funny, so it's either cd's or AM radio on the van...but there's only so many times a week I can hear Creedence and Kenny Rogers songs on a 4 song loop during the day before I want to stab my own ears with a pencil, especially when onsite 🙄

6 hours ago, HWY said:

Second hand CDs are super cheap at cashies, if ya don’t like ‘‘em turf ‘em. $1 each.

• 3 months later...
On 23/10/2023 at 18:23, 911virgin said:

Hi all,

In your learned opinions which car is potentially the better monetary investment in ten to 15 years time?

Given both cars have similar KMs, same transmission  or manual v manual or pdk v pdk

And for those who've been lucky enough to drive both, which is better to drive?

Having both, I am somewhat qualified (but far from an expert) to provide my two bobs....

997.2 GTS: Rarer than a 991.1 GTS (but the 991.1 GTS is still quite rare - look at how many vs 991.2 or 992 GTS on sale as a benchmark). Also, the 997.2 GTS was derived off the 997.2 Sport Classic with respect to the wide body and powerkit, so it managed to inherit some of that brand equity. The one I have is a PTS Riviera Blue (the only PTS GTS in Australia), so it is a long-term hold for me. Also, it was sold for less than a year, right at the end of the 997s life, so very few were sold new - only 25 GTS came to Australia vs 76 GT3s and 42 GT3RS....... 

991.1 GTS: I got mine in mid 2021 from PCSS - was traded in for a 991 Speedster by a well-known collector client of theirs. Mine is a Carrera 4 GTS with all the options (GTS Interior Package, 18 way seats, reverse camera) and still only has 9,700km - it was one of the batch that Sean Lygo ordered for Porsche Willoughby right before 991.1 went out of production, hence why it is so well specd. To me, it is a better all-round car as it is more comfy and sounds better (991 had that pipe that channel the engine sound into the cabin, unlike the 997 which sounds a lot more muted). I haven't quite got the whole analogue vs electric power steering debate as they both feel awesome. Looks are subjective, so if the 997.2 GTS was not PTS, I'd say the 991.1 GTS pips it on looks, most definitely on interior quality. It is a shame that the 991.2 GTS was so popular as it somewhat diluted the 991.1.... 

So to answer your question, the better long-term investment is the 997.2 GTS based on the above, but it will never be like a 997.2 GT3 or GT3 RS. So much so, that if my 3RS ever arrives, I will unload the 991.1 GTS, even though I know it is a better all-rounder and is more 'special' to me as it was my (early) 40th birthday present......