912 lhd to Rhd

philipk

Looking at buying a rust free 912 from the states as a project. I think it would drive me crazy driving a LHD .

Has any one done the conversion?COST?

I have been told Swann in Perth can supply all the panels for $4000.

I have been looking for rhd 912 for about 6 months with no luck.

philip conversion makes less sense these days (individual preference aside) what is your budget?

are you proposing a factory conversion or  some what less in approach? 4k for panels plus freight plus labour and associated costs on top of the purchase and import cost of a car soon adds up...I drive a converted 911 (done well) so am not dissuading you on the basis that they are substandard.

have you exhausted all means to source a rhd car? Placed wanted ads on all the clubs looked in NZ?

I have two 912's a 65 oz car and a 67 us import (converted) they are about. There is also Hamiltons personal Bahama Yellow 912 in Melbourne, which if you are good with forensics you may locate the owner - i understand it is for sale 45K?

Rennsport in May would be a good time too likely see a few 912's

I think Philip is getting seduced by the variety of 912s that can be found on sites like www.thesamba.com, in varying states of race specification, rust resolved tubs, untampered projects etc, and when adding on a few $k for importing and gst, all of a sudden its a pretty interesting $15-20k landed project to drive the missus insane!

;)

Kerry

I go to Los Angeles ALL the time and drive LHD there but not here

Going again on Friday.

My mind is all over the place.

I do not want a investment car, but love the pre 1973 look and love a project.

If I could find a RHD shell to build up great but.

Options are wide open.

I looked into a conversion on a 911 (would be similar $$$ to a 912) and the cost including

parts, ranged from $15k to $20k depending on what they found as the conversion got underway.

Of course that was drive in, drive out, if you are happy to do the work yourself, you'll get that down a bit.

After I did the sums figured I was as well buying original RHD.

All the best I hope you get what you want.

good hunting

John

LHD Rocks.

I would suggest that a conversion would cost north of 20k now, due to the increased cost of dashboard panels and other bits....

It would still make sense to get one landed at around 15k and then shoot some cash at it as they do seem to pull circa 35k for a good one.

I'd recommend getting a 5 Dial one and pre 1967 makes them easier to register.

I used to loathe LHD, until I spent a pleasant morning cruising around Geelong in a LHD 1966 912. I fell in Love!!!

Thanks for that.

Sorry but I am a novice.

Why a five dial?

I thought anything more than 30 years was simplier to Reg.

Has anybody seen the RHD 912  SHELL on ebay in Sydney?

Too far gone? The owner has said a small amount of rust where the fuel tank sits and a bit of surface rust in the back seat.

I will look at a few in LA on Monday as well to see what is around.

After spending the last 24 hours in Colorado driving LHD I am thinking LHD might be the way to go.

I can land a NICE drivable car in Oz for $15k and convert it later if I want to.

Thats the spirit!

If you're interested in keeping a car and perhaps restoring, it's worth remembering a much larger market exists for LhD - once you convert, it's not worth as much as a RHd or a LhD. So if you want to sell one day and realize the value of your time and money, keeping it original is the best way.

Great article. I saw a similar article on Pelican parts theat was done on a pre 73.

I am seriously thinking LHD might be the way to go{for a while}

Have found 2 interesting drivable rust free cars so far.

I with narrow body,needs a respray , the other is exactly what I want but bad wheels both $12,500usd but both owners say make an offer.

I car is from a dealer!

One of the reasons I wanted a LHD 912 was to get a feel for 'as it left the factory'.

If you can find a nice numbers matching car that doesn't have terminal rust then you have made a wise choice.

Out of 10 people I've told I bought a LHD car, only one proclaimed that it was not a good thing............She has never driven or owned a LHD Car.

I really did enjoy driving a Left Hooker and I cant wait to get mine registered so I can just cruise about in it.

I bet you wont even convert it once you get it landed home.

Very interesting discussion.

Look forward to seeing a LHD car here in Melbourne and having a drive... Maybe Roni (FIG) will turn up in one at our kart night next week...

Btw: a bit disappointed you didn't think to have your Winter Single Malt night down here Martin... Something we'll have to rectify eventually!

;)

Kerry

I once drove a LHD Karmann Ghia and hated it! I've always bagged lefty cars

I found my 912 locally, sat in it once and felt right at home.

I'm still quite a few months away from actually driving it though  :(

Archived