Mobil 1 20w50 ?

Hi all, I have been advised to use Mobil 1 20w50 in my 3.2 84 911.

Thing is, I can't find it anywhere, so I have picked up some Nulon premium mineral 20w50.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Premium_Mineral_Engine_Oils/Premium_Mineral_20W-50_High_Kilometre_Engine_Oil/#.UYRqlcsaySM

Anyone know if this oil is ok to top up the engine till I can get my hands on some of the Mobil 1?

Thanks guys, sorry if its a stupid question, I'm new to the Porsche experience!

Steve

You will be hard pressed to find that oil here.

I use Valvoline 20W 60 Hi Vis, as it does get quite hot down here.

Nulon will work as well, just ensure you replace oil + Filter every 12 months or 5k km's whichever comes first.

Ask Nulon Tech if this oil has 1200ppm ZDDP or higher as well.(Can of worms but needs this additive to protect your 3.2)

I am sure it does.

*Disclaimer - Oil is a religious type topic and best not discussed as opinions often offend.

Avoid using synthetic oil and have more frequent drain intervals. Air cooled engines use oil for cooling and lubrication so they must have oil drained and replaced more than others......

You will be hard pressed to find that oil here.

I use Valvoline 20W 60 Hi Vis, as it does get quite hot down here.

Nulon will work as well, just ensure you replace oil + Filter every 12 months or 5k km's whichever comes first.

Ask Nulon Tech if this oil has 1200ppm ZDDP or higher as well.(Can of worms but needs this additive to protect your 3.2)

I am sure it does.

*Disclaimer - Oil is a religious type topic and best not discussed as opinions often offend.

Avoid using synthetic oil and have more frequent drain intervals. Air cooled engines use oil for cooling and lubrication so they must have oil drained and replaced more than others......

Thank you!

Actually I don't think Nulon runs ZDDP in it at all if my memory serves me correctly. They use some other thing like Molybdenum...but it was a while ago that I asked them for this info. I don't even think there is a Mobil 20/50...maybe, but they seem to have a 15w/50. I don't really trust Mobil though. Nor do I trust Porsche. Both parties will tell you that it is fine to run a thin Synthetic in your car (5w/40) which is ill advised in many people's opinions. Not wanting to start an oil debate as there are too many of them to be found on all forums. In Sydney you could run a 20w/50 all year round, good protection against bumper to bumper traffic and hot Sydney weather. Not sure if you go to the track either but you don't want a low visc oil there at all. They get thinner at heat. Not good. As W/kuhl says, run something that has at least 1200ppm of ZDDP (but not more than say 1600ppm). VR1 is a good oil. 

I use Brad penn 20W 50 in the 356 and the 912.

Valvoline in the Carrera 3.0.

I was recently at a workshop looking at a freshly rebuilt 911 SC engine and I casually asked "What oil have you put in this?"

"Mobil 5W 30, why?"

"Why", Indeed.......

I've been using LiquiMoly Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 in my SC.  It was what my mechanic recommended as I do a couple of track days/year and it is supposed to be stable at high temps. Also it has sufficient ZDDP to protect the valve train on cold start.

Comparing LM to Mobil 1, I found this response from Liqui Moly on the Alfa bulletin board  "The Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 can be used without any problems in your engine. This oil has a zinc amount of 970-1150 ppm and is almost identical to the Mobil 1 product"

There are plenty of opinions out there on oil.  Take your pick which way you want to lean 

I use Brad penn 20W 50 in the 356 and the 912.

Valvoline in the Carrera 3.0.

I was recently at a workshop looking at a freshly rebuilt 911 SC engine and I casually asked "What oil have you put in this?"

"Mobil 5W 30, why?"

"Why", Indeed.......

Isn't 5w30 a cold climate spec.  ?  not exactly what I'd expect in SA

While on the subject I have available 2 containers (5 lts each) of Mobil 5W-40 synthetic unopened.

If interested PM an offer (going cheap) .

Mark.

What Wasser said "Oil is a religious type topic and best not discussed as opinions often offend."

I have read heaps of "The Ultimate Oil Thread" on Pelican and at times I was more confused than when I started.

Having said that my Indy used Mobil 10/40 Synthetic on my major service. Who am I to argue?

I'm going to do the minor with either Swepco or Brad Penn.

I get mine done at Autohaus - come to think of it JJames, what do you guys use ?

Mineral oil 20W50 for 911 and 964 series cars

10W40 Semi Synth the front engined cars

993's get 5W50 synthetic oil

Fully synthetic 0W40 for the water-boxers.

We use Mobil oils because that's Porsche current factory fill but really, oil type and spec matter more than brand.

The general rule of thumb is to use what was considered a good oil when the car was new.

James

Hey 84911SC. Is your car the one Hamiltons sold last month? If so, I'd just top it up with whatever they put in it. 20W50 Mineral oil as James mentioned. Are you sure your advise was Mobil 1 and not Mobil Super? 

All the literature and opinions on the internet will do your head in by the way.

Hey 84911SC. Is your car the one Hamiltons sold last month? If so, I'd just top it up with whatever they put in it. 20W50 Mineral oil as James mentioned. Are you sure your advise was Mobil 1 and not Mobil Super? 

All the literature and opinions on the internet will do your head in by the way.

Hi, yep that's the one, the guys said Mobile 1, 20w50 Mineral hence why I've been trying to find it everywhere (no luck yet), Ill give them a buzz and order it through them.

Far out had no idea this was such a complicated subject, still learning all the in's and out's of Porsche's (and owners).

Ps: super happy with their service, would recommend them to anyone.

Just did a trip to Canberra and back today and the car ran like a dream. Happy Customer.

I get mine done at Autohaus - come to think of it JJames, what do you guys use ?

ill be getting mine serviced there also, was just going to get some for top ups every 2'000 ks etc

Porsche and Mobil have had a commercial deal going back decades and that's why a lot of shops select Mobil as a bit of a knee jerk reaction for any Oil fill. Believe me, you don't HAVE to run with Mobil products to get sufficient protection for your new acquisition. 

Porsche and Mobil have had a commercial deal going back decades and that's why a lot of shops select Mobil as a bit of a knee jerk reaction for any Oil fill. Believe me, you don't HAVE to run with Mobil products to get sufficient protection for your new acquisition. 

Thats great news, that will make life easier - thank you! i'll just stick with the Nulon 20W50

Well, as I said previously, I don't believe Nulon does have ZDDP in it. So I would just make sure of that before using it on a permanent basis. Equally, I'm not saying there isn't a Mobil product that is sufficient for your car. If you really want to sink your teeth into an Oil thread for our cars, this is about the biggest I've ever seen. Bear in mind, not all 'models' of oils are available in all countries. 

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/367300-ultimate-motor-oil-thread-why-we-hate-cj4-sm-oils.html

Uncork a bottle of red and settle in for that thread...may have to make it a magnum!! 

PS...I am seriously thinking of using some of the offering by Millers Oils, but this is for the race car. 

Well, as I said previously, I don't believe Nulon does have ZDDP in it. So I would just make sure of that before using it on a permanent basis. Equally, I'm not saying there isn't a Mobil product that is sufficient for your car. If you really want to sink your teeth into an Oil thread for our cars, this is about the biggest I've ever seen. Bear in mind, not all 'models' of oils are available in all countries. 

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/367300-ultimate-motor-oil-thread-why-we-hate-cj4-sm-oils.html

Uncork a bottle of red and settle in for that thread...may have to make it a magnum!! 

PS...I am seriously thinking of using some of the offering by Millers Oils, but this is for the race car.

Geewizz, I started to get a headache going through that thread!

Hi Uncle,

i thought about using PENRITE, but was advised against it as  insufficent ZDDP, Dont quote me but I think

911's require a minumum of 1200ppm. PENRITE had I think, less than a 1000 (900 maybe).

Happy to be corrected as it was a while ago (too many single malts). Would be good if we could get a definitve

answer as PENRITE is available everywhere.(and cheapish).

cheers

Archived