PCNSW - are there many members here?

I see from their website that their next three social events are close to home for me and was thinking of joining but had a couple of question.

Are there many members of PFA who attend these regularly?

I was a member of the Hunter MGB Club but found the average age of the members of the Newcastle MGB Club closer to mine rather than close to double. Is it like this in the PCNSW?

For the $110 per year membership, what do the members get out of this? Their site states 750 members so 82k a year has to be going somewhere more than the magazine.

I think that's all for now.

Cheers

Ben

I'm a member.

They're a HUGE club, so it's hard to generalise as to what age group they are, since there's quite a wide range.  They do put  a lot of effort into the monthly meetings, where there is usually a guest speaker from motorsport or something to give a talk. Apart from that, there are quite a lot of driving events (one every 2 mths) and the annual concours.

So it's pricey, but compared to a regular car club it is more professionally run

Hi,

I' actually new to this site, but have been a PCNSW member for about 3 years.

It is a big club with social , model specific groups and Motorsport organizations.

All very friendly and accommodating and of varying ages and abilities.

For example the ages in the motorkhanas vary from 14/15 to about 70 with every age in between.

The membership cost will also deliver the club magazine and other media , etc. whilst at the end of each year a charity donation is made .

I recommend joining and finding out which area of the club suits best.

Also the members are agreat source of info and help on any tech questions etc.

Cheers

We have been members for 3yrs now. Everyone is very friendly & helpful. The weekends away & drive days are great. As stated above, they have an active motorsport group. The annual concours is excellent & the xmas party is also special.

Member for many, many years. 

If you enjoy your P-car, you will find like minded, friendly people.  As time passes you'll find good friendships and you will surely get more fun from your car.  Eventually, you will probably find that the car is part of the equation and that the fun you have with good friends becomes as important as the fun you have with the car.

So you will get much more from your ownership of your car.  How can you value that?

Member for many, many years. 

If you enjoy your P-car, you will find like minded, friendly people.  As time passes you'll find good friendships and you will surely get more fun from your car.  Eventually, you will probably find that the car is part of the equation and that the fun you have with good friends becomes as important as the fun you have with the car.

So you will get much more from your ownership of your car.  How can you value that?

Well said, you will find this is true of Porsche clubs around Australia and the PFA !

Thank you for the replies all. I will join up now and look forward to meeting a few new people on the upcoming runs to Avoca, Nelson Bay and the Hunter Valley.

+1 I'll be joining the club too - us Air Cooled guys can hang out together  B)

Long been on my mind also....having met a few PCNSW members at Rennsport recently, I'd say they seem very friendly.  I've browsed their activities list previously and thought that some of the drives looked very good.

I've been a member for a few years now. Generally from what I've seen most of the members are nice people and it caters for pretty much whatever you want from and for your car. I don't do the social stuff and it's definitely not what you might see at say a Performance Forum X-mas party, but I'm sure if you dial down the expectations on that front you will be happy enough if that's what you want out of a car club. If you like the motorsport side of things more, then you can have a fair degree of healthy competition without necessarily breaking the bank...I said necessarily! 

I've been a member for a few years now. Generally from what I've seen most of the members are nice people and it caters for pretty much whatever you want from and for your car. I don't do the social stuff and it's definitely not what you might see at say a Performance Forum X-mas party, but I'm sure if you dial down the expectations on that front you will be happy enough if that's what you want out of a car club. If you like the motorsport side of things more, then you can have a fair degree of healthy competition without necessarily breaking the bank...I said necessarily! 

Good comment; right on the mark.

I only spent up on my engine rebuild because after 29 years of track days the old thing was getting rather rattly.  Even though it had been down on power for years, I still had fun.  When it got too asthmatic, I had AHaus increase my rev limit so that I could squeeze it a bit harder, and still enjoyed my supersprints just as much without spending other than on tyres.

The Motorkhana days are good fun, cheap, very sociable, easy on the car and a great way to learn to understand its dynamics.  On the skid pan at the race track formerly known as Eastern Creek so you don't shred too much rubber.  Challenging and yet quite safe.

I'm a member also but have only been to the EOY drive & presentation ceremony thus far. will get along to a monthly meeting sometime soon.

What happens at the monthly meetings?

Generally about 50 - 70 peeps show up. Held at Scud's Willoughby.  Gold coin donation for some cake/cookies.  Social talkings while wandering about looking at what is in the showroom.  Mtg starts @ 8 and each of the club's captains has a quick chat about what is coming up - social, competition, club finances etc and then there will be a guest speaker that will be of general interest - suspension set up, trip to Le Mans, or a high profile person with something interesting - Ron Tauranac comes to mind.

Archived