future value

Stanley James

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a concours condition 996, having seen only 993s in poor condition. I wonder if I should re-visit, in terms of the car holding up in value...sorry if this sounds crass!

Apology for sounding crass accepted.......................and allow me to apologise in advance.

You have obviously led a sheltered life if you have only seen 993s in "poor condition". I need to ask what makes your car concourse and who has judged it to be so. If you had entered any serious concourse, such as this weekend's Rennsport, you would have been up against this particular 993 which took second, only to a fully restored 356 with over 200K. The owner is a good friend of mine who is fanatical about his 993 and it shows. That is not discounting the other 5 or 6 993 that were there, including an incredible Turbo-S.

Engine detail of 993 at Rennsport concourse............

IMAG1021_zps05ccdc04.jpg

Photos of last year's concourse.......

3ab26b21-0dae-495d-afdd-f211f1b4f46c_zps

f70197c6-689d-4718-a81f-e31c4aaee336_zps

Oh............and did I mention the number of 993s owned by members of this forum which may not be concourse, but are certainly the furthest away from poor as possible.

Don't mean to jump down your throat Stanley, but you can't be serious!!!!!!

Stanley James  I am allowing for subjective ie model-owned bias...!

When I looked, with preference for the 993 as my 3rd Porsche, I saw only track-tired etc cars. The 996 would I agree not rate with an air-cooled owner, but did win concours interstate.....

I agree that the 993 in photo looks superb

What history and forecast for pricing can you 993-heads give me?....please

Apology for sounding crass accepted.......................and allow me to apologise in advance.

You have obviously led a sheltered life if you have only seen 993s in "poor condition". I need to ask what makes your car concourse and who has judged it to be so. If you had entered any serious concourse, such as this weekend's Rennsport, you would have been up against this particular 993 which took second, only to a fully restored 356 with over 200K. The owner is a good friend of mine who is fanatical about his 993 and it shows. That is not discounting the other 5 or 6 993 that were there, including an incredible Turbo-S.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I sometimes wonder whether restored cars should be in a separate concours class.

993tt...with a motivated seller, low $huddies K (the black on red has been down there).

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I sometimes wonder whether restored cars should be in a separate concours class.

993tt...with a motivated seller, low $huddies K (the black on red has been down there).

The older the car and the greater the kms the more points they have in their favour for open concourse. The black 356 there won outright.

Anyhow, a really good 993 Turbo will easily fetch $130-140. Turbo-S.......at least double that.

Engine detail of 993 at Rennsport concourse............

IMAG1021_zps05ccdc04.jpg

Photos of last year's concourse.......

3ab26b21-0dae-495d-afdd-f211f1b4f46c_zps

f70197c6-689d-4718-a81f-e31c4aaee336_zps

Oh............and did I mention the number of 993s owned by members of this forum which may not be concourse, but are certainly the furthest away from poor as possible.

Don't mean to jump down your throat Stanley, but you can't be serious!!!!!!

I saw his car on Sunday at Rennsport, far-out! - what a stand out it was - stunning....

• 4 weeks later...

any views on driving pleasure, reliability, desirability of a 993 Turbo, vs a 993 4 or 4S? Does the 4S have the Turbo wider rear body? is the rear spoiler on the 4S fixed, or does it lift only at speed? I am looking again, given all the positive comments re 993 cars in good condition.....

Come on James.

Let's give Stanley the long answer.

Stanley, there is a HUGE amount of information on the net and if you are serious I must recommend Adrian Streather's book "993 The Essential Companion".

I note that you have only mentioned the 2WD models?

Carrera-4 is essentially the same as the 2 with the following differences:

4 has ABD Automatic Brake Differential, LSD and a viscous coupled 4WD system

4S has all of the 4's features wrapped up in a wide body and the sensational Turbo brakes.

Turbo has all the above plus the snails and a strengthened engine carrier.

There are some cosmetic and interior differences also.

Let us not forget the regular Carrera and Carrera-S.

The Carrera and it's "narrow" body are coveted among the racing fraternity and are viewed to be more nimble that the wide bodies.

In the rain the 4 is king (if the viscous coupling is still working) however the standard Carrera apparently has it in the dry and in the hands of the experienced driver.

The Carrera-S is essentially the regular car in a wide body, but no Turbo running gear at all.

That also makes the car about 50kg lighter than the 4S.

The only fixed spoilers are on the Turbo or if the regular cars had an optional box ticked.

All of these cars are a great drive, but it depends what you want. The Turbo will feed masses of power and smiles all round, but the regular aspirated cars will give you a huge buzz also.

As far as desirability......................Turbo or Carrera-S. There's something about those wide bodies!!!!!!!!!!!

Note - PFA members reserve the right to tell me if I've given any incorrect details!!!!!!!!!

PS, I see that T-Man drives a 993 C4......but older brother does I agree read to be encyclopaedic, and retains the family sense of humour....thanks both of you

Yes I do drive a C4, however I would take a C2 at the drop of a hat.

Can you tell me....what is (I hear) it about 996 cars that is disliked by so many Porsche aficionados?

One or more of : the front lights , the interior quality , the engine not recommended for hard use and the IMS issue.

The 996 RS is however a different kettle of fish.

Archived