Exhaust / Muffler Advice

Doish13

After visiting Rennsport i decided to bite the bullet and get a sports muffler. I've read about all the options on this and other US forums and have come to the conclusion that for air cooled my vintage cars you can't go wrong with a Dansk and a Monty sounds even better (apparently however are quite pricy ). There are also other brands.

What i did notice on a US Porsche forum is that there is a guy who started making sports mufflers for air cooled Porgas only for other users of the forum and his reviews were out of this world. From what I gather he ( Ben) now runs a sports muffler company called M&K and every single review of this product has been outstanding with claims they are far lighter than a Dansk and sound bery good. his service delivery also get a huge applause. Even after postage to Australia this is landing between a half and a quarter cheaper than the alternatives mentioned above.

I was just about to buy a Dansk on Monday from someone I've been talking to about on the subject however with such good reviews and a great price I cannot ignore this option.

Does anyone on the forum have one (1 in 1 out) and do you have any feedback? Hoping to purchase this week. No one I ask seem to have heard of them.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not louder than what you currently have no doubt.

Steam Wolf has a dansk - any idea what model it is? Seems to be 2 separate 1:1 model Dansks on the market and not sure which one is the replacement to OEM? I believe its the 92.201S model which then means its the same in quietness / noise than the factory unit i have already. Can anyone confirm this?

That would be a waste of time and money getting the stock one.

Good website...They have a great weight saving from the originals, and some good/respected companies as outlets inc PP.

The metal they are using is also a big plus

I reckon you should go for it, might start an Aussie following, like the the FISTERS.

I have an M&K on a 3.2 with SSI's. It's about 2 months old. It's a 2in 2 out. Cost me about $820 delivered. It's about 2/3 of the weight of the original Dansk (2 in 1 out) I removed.

A few weeks ago we had Porsche Club NSW's supersprint at Eastern Creek. The NSW Police turned up in their Panamera. At the end of the day, the Inspector came up to me and said "that is the best sounding car on the track today". Subjective, I know, but the day consisted of everything from Cup Cars to Tarmac Rally weapons.

It breaths so much better than the Dansk. I'm not sure if there is much more power, if at all, but I am hitting redline much sooner on the track at both Eastern Creek and Wakefield Park than the Dansk did (for example, on the hill up to T6 at EC I would always hold third, now I'm into fourth as the engine bounces off the rev limiter). this is with no other change to the car other than the bolt on exhaust.

It's loud (a good 50% louder at idle than Dansk. Screams over 4000 rpm), but brilliant.

Cheers, David.

Here's a pic on the day

976265_436774463086279_1675033751_o.jpg

Thanks David and nice looking car.

I'm getting this M&K as the more I read about it on line especially in the comparo shoot outs, the better its sounding - pardon the pun.

Bloody exchange rate.... Ben the owner has been nothing short of outstanding. Feels somewhat good parting with your hard earned cash with someone genuine who has provided great service.

I have the Dansk Sport 1 in 1 out in stainless steel, fitted it at the same time as a cat bypass and Steve Wong chip on my 3.2. Big difference in sound, deep rumble at idle and growling roar at 3500 and beyond. Bought it from Design 911 in the UK as  was the cheapest option including the shipping costs. Build and fit are very good.

Dominic.

Doish13

I have one as well from him and you will not be dissapointed with the sound and workmanship, this is my second one from him and it will be unique sound with the setup you are going for.

check out his welding when you get it it will amaze you.

good luck and good choice

Thanks Sancho for the reassuring words.

Talk about customer service - I was missing him on the phone due to the time difference so he finally tracked me down Sinday night his time and answered all my questions. Gave me some great tips on installation and then when I questioned exhaust tip size he on his own asked me what I wanted he would just put on in his time. Nothing a problem and what appears to be a genuine old fashioned small business.

So far the experience has been outstanding.

Yeah I dunno what he has to be honest. My be ask him if it has a part number on it?

My car now has two mufflers on it. One active muffler and one 18" long resonator. 

Martin, that's intriguing, what does the resonator do?  Is it a closed one end device open to the zorst to stop droning?

I am also keen on the M&K. I got a quote from Monty Mufflers and unfortunately it was 1/3 more the price.  I have the cat delete, not sure what brand it is. Be interested to know how OP goes with the decision.

Martin, that's intriguing, what does the resonator do?  Is it a closed one end device open to the zorst to stop droning?

Harvs is very close to on the money.. My "active" muffler is also known as a turbocharger. They do work quite well at cutting the sounds down. The resonator works in two ways. 1 it helps keep heat in the exhaust housing by providing some thermal mass. This helps the turbo spool faster. The second is it makes it sound alot better than just a zork tube out the back by helping to smooth out the exhaust pressure waves. Zork turbes sound great on 934/5's because they are a big angry motor. Not so much on my little engine.

It provides a funnel to focus the afterburner.

Archived