Cleaned up a roo :( need a repairer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Kangaroo's tails are quite long and can damage every panel on the body with an accident like this........may have to paint the whole thing ;)

I've been trying to figure out a way for this to happen but unfortunately only 2 panels will be resprayed. I asked RJP about doing the rest of the car (at my expense) but when he referred to it as a restoration rather than a respray I didn't bother taking the conversation further. Especially when he threw $20,000 in the air.

I've been trying to figure out a way for this to happen but unfortunately only 2 panels will be resprayed. I asked RJP about doing the rest of the car (at my expense) but when he referred to it as a restoration rather than a respray I didn't bother taking the conversation further. Especially when he threw $20,000 in the air.

Then throw in another 10k for rubbers and seals.

That quote is about the same as most good body shops will give you Simon.

I just hope they can match up the paint with the rest of the car.

Thanks everyone for your nice words.

I hit the roo at around 8am so just after sun rise. I was only doing 80 in a 100 zone as I wasn't familiar with the road which was quite hilly with lots of blind corners. I took my eyes off the road for a second and had a quick glance at a mountain on my left. Turned my head back as the roo hit the car. Didn't have time to react other than to shout out "F" and flinch. Didn't hit the brakes, didn't swerve, didn't even have time to panic. I've had plenty of time to think about it since. I'm incredibly disappointed that I didn't see it coming. I do a lot of hwy driving and normally have Jedi reflexes when it comes to Kangaroos. You need to when you're towing a boat at night. At the same time, it could have been worse had I seen it before it hit me. I could have swerved, slammed on the brakes etc and lost control, or the roo could have hit more towards the centre of the car and come through the windscreen. So I guess I've got mixed feelings about it but in the end the car will be ok and so will Tara and I. It does show how quick things can turn sour when you're not 100% eyes on the road. Take your eyes off the road to change the temperature on the climate control or adjust the radio is all it could take.

I was on my way to a location where I've been making a movie about my car (hence the early start) Sadly that project is on hold for now.

Then throw in another 10k for rubbers and seals.

That quote is about the same as most good body shops will give you Simon.

I just hope they can match up the paint with the rest of the car.

I think I could get my Clubsport, outside only, resprayed for about $3,000 based on repairs I've had done on it already. Why is respraying a Porsche so much more expensive? If I could get the same painter to do the Porsche for $3,000-$5,000 would that be considered a no no to other Porsche enthusiasts? I'm just trying to prepare options if the paint can't be matched very well. The car has already had a cheap respray in the past (you can see some tape marks). So I figure that a cheap respray of the whole thing would be no worse than it was last week and would probably be better than having paint mismatch after this repair.

Most of the good shops just wont do a rub back and paint, they will refuse to do the job.

They don't know what is under the paint and will give you no guarantee.

This is fair as most of the time the old and new paint will not react well.

If you are doing a full respray on an old Porsche its a bare metal job.

I went through all this two years ago.

Then you are in the situation of having a new paint job with old rubbers and seals.

You have a nice new paint job that has added value to the car and you should use gen Porsche parts to finish the job.

+ 8-10k.

I bought some non gen Porsche rubbers and seals just to see what they are like and save some money, upon arrival they went in the bin.

If it was me, I would look at a small one man show, add in the insurance money and do the whole car.

You may find a good guy inbetween jobs that may do a good deal and help you out.

This way you may get the whole thing done for around 25k if you source the rubbers and seals.

Another thing I would do is argue to the insurance company that the car will not be as good as it was due to the difference in paint finish.

If you are with someone like Shannons this would be first on my list.

Simon if you want some names give me a call.

Vas 0418501400

Sorry for the bad news.  :(

Another thing I would do is argue to the insurance company that the car will not be as good as it was due to the difference in paint finish. :(

Good advice re: arguing for a full respray due to paint mismatch. Years ago a tree branch fell on the roof of my sister's car (metallic grey) Successfully convinced the insurance to do the whole car so the paint was consistent.

Good advice re: arguing for a full respray due to paint mismatch. Years ago a tree branch fell on the roof of my sister's car (metallic grey) Successfully convinced the insurance to do the whole car so the paint was consistent.

Yeah, I don't know. RJP reckon no chance in hell due to the age of the car and because it's been resprayed in the past. Insurance co couldn't comment over the phone and said only the assesor could answer it. I hate dealing with insurance companies and panel beaters. RJP have a number or procedures in place to make sure I can't change my mind and take it somewhere else to get repaired. So once I drop it off this afternoon for assessment, I'm pretty much locked in. At the same time, I'm confident in the work they will do on the repair itself. They've already indicated though that there's a chance the paint won't match properly.

For what its worth, i had my car fully resprayed when i bought it about 8-9 years ago.

I was happy to go back to "bare metal" but the panel beater advised me that there was no need to go beyond the appropriate undercoat.

My understanding is that unless you are repairing a "bad repair' that there is no real need to go to bare metal.

Im always sceptical when i read adds for cars that state "bare metal respray" ; Ive never seen a car in a panel shop that has been sanded down to the metal all over, apart from one 356 that a mate of mine owns, which would fall into the restoration / rebuild category. 

Anyways im happy with my paint and spent nowhere near some of the figures talked about here.

Cheers

Danny.

The last repair i had done, the front 3/4 of the car was painted by the time they were done, chasing the colour down the doors.

you could get a rub down and paint as part of the job. Assuming what is there is pretty good, the result is unlikely to be worse, but likely to be better.. if you remove trim, bumpers etc yourself sometimes this can save quite a few $$

there are paints/coatings they can put between layers of paint now to stop them reacting - I assume the days of real bare metal resprays are gone due to environmental issues

I'm sure if you wanted to pay you could still get one though, but where do you stop? get the body dipped then hot galvanised?

I really do stress about this sort of stuff more than I should. The repairer isn't an "approved" repairer of the insurance company so the insurer will send me a cheque based on the quote from the repairer and then they're dealing with me is done.  The repairer is going to get me to sign something so that they receive the money from the insurer directly instead of going through me. Why do I not feel comfortable with this? There aren't many services out there where you effectively pay up front for a job. I'd understand some sort of deposit before they go ordering parts.

I really do stress about this sort of stuff more than I should. The repairer isn't an "approved" repairer of the insurance company so the insurer will send me a cheque based on the quote from the repairer and then they're dealing with me is done.  The repairer is going to get me to sign something so that they receive the money from the insurer directly instead of going through me. Why do I not feel comfortable with this? There aren't many services out there where you effectively pay up front for a job. I'd understand some sort of deposit before they go ordering parts.

i would assume this is so they dont fix the car and you spend the money on the pokies.  It's probably an agreement for them to invoice the IC directly at completion, rather than an upfront payment.  You should check, though.  I would shop around a little bit if they are flexible with repairer, and you're thinking  some 'while you're in there'.

because withholding part or all payment is a good recourse for when the job is sub standard?

I'd work out paying them a deposit, then full amount when it's completed personally, I'm sure that'll do wonders for them wanting to get the job done, and do it properly.

because withholding part or all payment is a good recourse for when the job is sub standard?

I'd work out paying them a deposit, then full amount when it's completed personally, I'm sure that'll do wonders for them wanting to get the job done, and do it properly.

+1

Ok, my bad...The release is for the insurance company to pay them at the end of the job. Told you I need to stress less.

I think for now, I'll commit with this repairer as I'm confident they'll do a good job on the repair itself. If after their best efforts, the colour bothers me, then I'll look in to doing the whole car with someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks heaps guys. Current ETA on getting it back is 2 weeks so not too bad. It's only panel damage thankfully. Unfortunately it was going to be a 3 month wait to get a replacement panel so they've decided to repair this one. They assure me it is being done properly and not the dodgy brothers method of bogging it. Hopefully the end result will be just as good. Wish time wasn't moving so slowly. I really want her back in my garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in business and very happy. That was a very long couple of weeks. The guys at RJP have done a fantastic job from what I can see. The colour looks spot on and the orange peel effect matches the other panels perfectly. They even went beyond what I expected including a new lower rubber lip and harmonica looking thingy, wheel alignment and fixed the light under the hood. I just need to throw some stones at it and wipe it with a dirty chamois to get it really matching the rest of the car. (just kidding...really...) So glad to have her back in the garage :D

2c6791d9-4da7-4fc1-951d-952be9fc19dc_zps

Archived