993 Turbo back in the fold........

Gave the 993 a big clean today and got some shots for posterity. Its not easy to keep a car clean here on the farm, so you have to be quick! Got a de ja vu when I realised that the Autoglym I was using was last used on the 993 in 2005. Ekk. Got weirder when I lifted the spacesaver cover and saw the tools wrapped in one of my old shirts. Gets weirder and weirder, this groundhog sort of thing. Wendy liked the result, and it does look outstanding we think. Hope you like it.Backofcar_zps7740a70f.jpg[/url[url=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/Simonoz911/media/Carfacinggatewithreflection_zps4868076d.jpg.html]Carfacinggatewithreflection_zps4868076d.[/url[url=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/Simonoz911/media/Backandsideofcaranddam_zps1eddeebf.jpg.html]Backandsideofcaranddam_zps1eddeebf.jpg

Thanks guys!

I must admit to feeling like I've won lotto.

This is a truly magnificent car, and I am just the lucky custodian for as long as it lasts.

As a country kid who grew up surrounded by Sports Car World and Wheels magazines, if you had told me I could actually own cars like this one day, I wouldn't have believed it, and frankly, I still can't.

They say you make your own luck in life, and I have certainly tried, but there's more to it than that. If cant be so straightforward.

I have been for a ride around Sandown in Rob's 968 RS and yes great car, that is why I am planning one.

Fitzy actually built 4 with a lot of factory parts. They are a great package.

But yours is a true Factory car !

9fan the 968RS really impresses me. I got close to buying Robs but glad now I didn't! Not sure I could have resisted if it was closer to home. I thought I was done with interesting cars until the 993 popped up. Wendy's still amused. Bless her for understanding.

I would love to know how my old 1974 RS clone is going. It's in Tassie I hear. Hope it's doing we'll in events there.

Wow Simon great stories and photos above. Your car is sensational! And how cool your shirt is still wrapped around the tools and rego sticker still where you left it.

Sounds like the car was waiting for you!

Gave the 993 a big clean today and got some shots for posterity. Its not easy to keep a car clean here on the farm, so you have to be quick! Got a de ja vu when I realised that the Autoglym I was using was last used on the 993 in 2005. Ekk. Got weirder when I lifted the spacesaver cover and saw the tools wrapped in one of my old shirts. Gets weirder and weirder, this groundhog sort of thing. Wendy liked the result, and it does look outstanding we think. Hope you like it.Backofcar_zps7740a70f.jpg[/url[url=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/Simonoz911/media/Carfacinggatewithreflection_zps4868076d.jpg.html]Carfacinggatewithreflection_zps4868076d.[/url[url=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/Simonoz911/media/Backandsideofcaranddam_zps1eddeebf.jpg.html]Backandsideofcaranddam_zps1eddeebf.jpg

It`s obviously fantastic to have her back ,She is magnificent ,but do you feel a little like she has been cheating on you? you know, a few new moves, different noises, a couple of little marks,Just how many differtent dudes have been in that driving seat? After all she `s no Camry

Steve, no new moves, it is a real time warp. I'm waiting to collect my old ownership file when I next get to Perth, but as I recall its only done a few thousand kms in the past eight years, and really shows zero signs of it. The glass sided garage it lived in seems to have preserved it well! The 993's seem to be like good wine. 

Mate you really don't hve to answer this question and definitely not after any detail however after these years did you pay more, less or the same for it back?

Again feel free to say no comment.

Only asking as there is only one other car I've owned which I wish I did not have to sell. Still think about it and would be safe to say I would pay quite a bit more to get her back.

Doish

Given that you could google it and find out the asking price this time around, its not such an out there question. 

I might have a ramble at an answer, and start by saying that 911's have been kind to me over the years.

They certainly haven't suffered the sort of devaluation that cars are renowned for, and as I'm finding out with my M6, BMW's excel at.

I have, on occasion, even made a profit, especially on the rare 911's.

The red 993 RS was the best for that, but if I had held on to the 964RS that would have been the winner by far as they have gone bonkers since I sold. I would have at least doubled my money on that one (eh Kerry!).

The 993 Turbo is an interesting case.

They were heinously expensive in 1997.

They are worth around 45% of their purchase price, and they have been at that level for at least the past eight years.

I sold the car back then for $10,000 less than I paid the first time around, having had it for three years and done 14,000 kms.

Thought that was pretty good.

I just bought it back for $21,300 less than I sold it for then, so after the hideous WA stamp duty is paid it will be about $10,000 less than I sold it for last time.

The price was sharpish, against the others on the market I've seen.

A dealer friend agreed.

I think its probably still worth what I sold it for the first time, now that I've got my hands on it and realised its a time warp, but I couldn't be sure of that until I had my hands on it.

Perhaps the wider question, is would I have paid more than I just did?

Yes I would have, but to what point?

I was on the hunt for a good 993 Turbo, but they are hard to track down (I do know of a good one if anyone is after one).

I was after the other red 993 Turbo but having seen it and driven it, it wasn't a patch on my old car, and I couldn't justify it.

It was just a fluke that my old car popped up, and a fluke that the price was good in my eyes.

In the longer term, I think 993 Turbos are destined to at least hold their value, and maybe increase, maybe not.

It may be that they are not rare enough to warrant an increase over time, as that seems to be the key.

So, after a ramble, all I really need to say is, that to me it's priceless.

More than I ever realised, this car hits my sweet spot like no other.

Cant price that!

If you feel the same way, buy it back!

Archived