993 Turbo back in the fold........

Had a very happy day today having bought back my old 1996 993 Turbo. Unexpectedly, very quickly, and without hesitation, as I had to beat off the masses. Sold it eight years ago under duress, and never thought I would own it again. It popped up yesterday on carsales.coom.au to my great surprise, as it spent the past eight years living in a glass sided apartment garage, while it did a measly 2,500kms a year.

It, and Kerry's 964RS, are the two that got away. I dont expect he will sell his, so this is it for me in terms of redemption.

I've looked at lots (relatively) of other 993 Turbo's but never really found one that squared up to my old car, which is guards red and has silver/white dials. sports exhaust tips, Bilsteins, and the aluminium pack interior option. Its a Perth car from new, and I am now both the second and fourth owner, which should qualify me for some sort of stamp duty gold star.

There were only two guards red 993 Turbos delivered in Australia they tell me, the other lives in Queensland these days. I drove that car when it was in Melbourne and needed a gearbox tweak or two.

Heres some photos (hopefully). At the risk of sounding like Big Kev, I'm excited!

post-1342-0-01481300-1371649054_thumb.jp

post-1342-0-92051600-1371649070_thumb.jp

post-1342-0-19873500-1371649085_thumb.jp

Congrats! I read your description and it immediately jogged my memory - I saw your car a couple of times back in 2005. One photo attached. Very nice machine, hard to forget it!

Did you buy it back from a local seller or is it coming from interstate?

M6wgtT0.jpg

Thanks Guys

I remember that time, JGP. I was parked outside the RAC Driving Centre at the prologue stage of the 2005 Classic Rally. One of the nice things about my new/old car is that I can remember just about every drive. They rank as special, an event each time you fire up. The red car has always been known as the 300 car. $300 grand, 304 kws, 300kmh. Not sure which of my brainiac mates dreamt that one up but it has stuck to this day.

One for you that I remember, Kerry. In 2005 we did a trip to Cunderdin (careful how you say it in company!) for a Porsche Club event at the airstrip, a two hour journey out of Perth.

A black 968RS Turbo, your black 964RS, and the red 993TT. Heck of a convoy, in hindsight!

I was at the back when the first two cleared out after Northam. We all had radar detectors, the road was straight and long, no wind, or weather, and you could see for miles. I looked at my passenger and raised an eyebrow. He smiled and in a masterpiece of understatement said "I doubt you're ever going to find yourself in this position again..........." Suffice to say, since that day I can tell you exactly how quickly a 993TT can travel in a straight line. And how good a 964RS looks at speed, from the back and subsequently in the rear view mirror. Happy days.

Kerry

I was too busy ticking off the white posts to consider anyone's velocity but my own, but I reckon your 235 might be a bit light on. Your car didn't (doesnt?) have a short diff or gears in it, so it should still be right on the factory top speed rating which is supposedly 260kmh. I can tell you that it was pretty flighty to watch, your car, as it moved over any bumps. It never felt flighty when driving it as I recall, but it certainly moved around on the bumps that day. Of course we were quite serene in our relatively palatial surroundings, at least until we turned off the airconditioning to gain the last 19kmh.....Happy days.

One day Simon, maybe we'll "put the band back together"!?

Do you know where the 968RSTurbo ended up? We have a faithful recreation happening over here by Mark (9fan) and let me tell you, it takes some concerted effort to try and shake! LOL!

;)

Kerry

Kerry

I do, sort of. Its over your way now. Was sold during the last six months. A regular winner of the PCCWA championship, and a car with a tale or two to tell as its been used for hard competitive events all its life. I think its getting a rebuild, which would be a good idea if its going to continue its competitve life. Maybe someone will chime in if they know more than I do?

As an aside, I cant for the life of me work out why no-one has bought the one that Rob Raymer is selling. Thats a very neat example, and as you know they go like hell when set up right, and appear bulletproof. Certainly advanced for their day. Perhaps its because you can buy a targa-prepped 944 turbo for such little money? Or because Fitzy built the five of them and they are not ex-factory?

As the turbo sits crackling in the garage after a 300 km drive home this afternoon, I can reflect a little on my decision to go back in time and buy my old car back, tired as I am after a long and speedy day.

Firstly, it's inconceivable that the Turbo looks feels and smells exactly the same as eight years ago, but it does.

Even the 8/2005 registration sticker I lovingly applied in February 2005 is still fixed to the windscreen. Time warp.

It took all of ten minutes to get back in the groove. I drove my M6 BMW the 300 kms from the farm to Perth this morning, and it was interesting to compare the two cars. Suffice to say, the BMW is a wonderful car and very good at consuming mileage at a clip but its now surplus to requirements and won't be coming home again. The 911 wins. It's special, the M6 is a car. A very good car but not a 911.

Happy days.

Archived