Wagons...suggestions.

Hey guys.

Ive shared a couple of months ago that my wife and I are expecting our first arrival in November, this as you can imagine has changed a lot of plans we had about our stay in Singapore. Basically, we have decided over the weekend to bring forward our move back to Australia to May/June next year.

With this decision, and the fact that we will be home for Xmas for a few weeks I'm going to buy a "family" car in Sydney so I dont need to get a rental at Xmas (and so I have a practical car when we arrive back in 2014).

Even though my wife has long desired a Lexus IS for her car it's just not going to work when needing to carry baby, the Dog, the bike, the pram, etc, etc, etc. Having bought a Volvo V70 up here a couple of months ago I'm loving the space.

So I need some advice from you car mad people....Wagons?

Quite like the newer V60, dont want to buy into BMW/ Merc, dont see the value in Audi Avants, could consider a Passat. Any others worth a look?

Oh....and my wife HATES anything SUV as she is short (ahem..petite) so it needs to be a stationwagon. Looked at the Megane wagon yesterday...not spacious enough. Needs to be Auto.

dont want to buy into BMW/ Merc, dont see the value in Audi Avants, could consider a Passat. Any others worth a look?

Oh....and my wife HATES anything SUV as she is short (ahem..petite) so it needs to be a stationwagon. Looked at the Megane wagon yesterday...not spacious enough. Needs to be Auto.

Not too many parameters to work with here, domestic might be your only other choice. 

> dont want to buy into BMW/ Merc

I would re-examine this.  A 3 or 5 series wagon is a great car.  Comfortable, economical, refined and not flashy at all.

At least take one for a test.  How can you beat a rwd german wagon with fantastic build quality and comfortable interiors?  If it's an image thing, trust me you will blend in on Sydney streets.  

We run a 5 series wagon for dog and kid duties, it is a great car though getting on in age.  My other half was reluctant about the badge at first but you couldn't pry her out of it, except for a newer one.

$50k would get you a very nice lightly used E61.  No comparison to a Passat at all.  Streets ahead of a Renault. 

Anyone know the arrival timing of the Macan?

We have our names down as showing interest in one.. Early 2014 I believe for first deliveries, its unveil is in November this year at the LA auto show.

Realistically I'm not ready to take delivery till late 15 any how, but I suspect the wait times will be quite long for this if its as popular as anticipated! 6-12 months perhaps???

I bought a second hand E61 530i wagon a while back for general tooling around, carting stuff for house renno's etc.  They're pretty cheap second hand with a few years on them and entirely practical.  I kind of beat the shinola out of mine (maybe slightly inappropriately  :) ) and it seems to cope with it.

The only real complaints I have about mine is there are a couple of sensors packing up (random check engine lights), the auto seems to get a bit harsh at times and the throttle has a bit of an annoying delay (probably electronic, I should likely get some new updates or something).  Oh, and the volume button on the steering wheel makes an annoying rattling sound at times.  Mine is fairly old now though (05 model) so newer ones probably better - they rejiggered all the electrical systems in 07 I think.

But given the cheap price you pay for these things they're worth looking at - they have a really solid feel and sit the fwy excellently.  The big moon roof is cool as well, great for sticking your head out of like a dog  :)

I have an R36 Wagon from 09 and have had zero issues with it. Great car, kicks along nicely around town and in the country and can carry quite a bit of gear without being a falcodore sized car.

I have heard of build issues, but perhaps mine was not a Friday build?

VF Commodore Sportwagon......Does it have ISOFIX?

It does have 3 ISOFIX point but the seats wont be available till the end of the year, they are in development at the moment..........

Personally I think for the money the new VF is a stunning car in all flavours. With a budget of $50K you can get a Calais wagon I believe........

What about a new Skoda VRS wagon.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/5B125575F103A65CCA257B8600838E62#!prettyPhoto

My wife is roughly 5' 1 " and we have a MY11 Subaru Outback, She loves it. Only down side i still think it is ugly, but after moving from a Liberty wagon I do enjoy the extra size of the new models plus no more gutter rash on the rims.

If I had a dollar for everyone who has suggested the Skoda to me I could just about buy one for free.....seriously!

The honest answer is.....I hate the look of the Skoda Superb....and I think they are massively overpriced in Australia. Skoda is meant to be a value brand but it's too premium in oz sorry.

Peugeot 508 GT Touring???

we used to have a 407  touring and while great, it was too big and was not really needed as partner drove it mainly - we then traded 'down' to the then (2007) top line 307 touring diesel and aside from some compromises and an annoying elec window issue no complaint - it had a great boot area for its class size.

And while Id love all manner of tight looking sports /come suv cool v8 things with twin scroll stuff - To be honest babies/children + petite partner = good boot area - though more importanly easily accessed boot area where the floor is not too high and the tail swings high so you are not hitting your head on it!!!

If your partner is mainly driving something not too large and with good visibility and ease of parking.

Archived