Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

They don't cost $40 - 50K for very long. The prices our race mechanic quoted for fairly routine maintenance would make a Packer cry.

My reading from other cup owners is you should allow min $2k per hour for the whole box n dice, that is amortising motor and trans rebuilds etc... 

All the sudden boating seemed cheap.... :lol: 

I'm glad I don't have any garage space as this could be a great car for wet day SMT's and its just around the corner. Lot's of work there to put it back together, will be interesting to see what it goes for.

I have to ask him what the VIN is.

My reading from other cup owners is you should allow min $2k per hour for the whole box n dice, that is amortising motor and trans rebuilds etc... 

All the sudden boating seemed cheap.... :lol:

$33/minute. Not for the faint of heart. That probably doesn't include all the other associated costs of getting there, race entry fee, garage +++++ ect ect. 

$33/minute. Not for the faint of heart. That probably doesn't include all the other associated costs of getting there, race entry fee, garage +++++ ect ect. 

Oh yeah those costs.. lol they're not in there.

But I believe those numbers are for maintaining a competitive/legal cup car. 

You could always club race one and save a lot on running costs if you make some concessions. 

The smart money stopped buying Cup cars several years ago. The running costs are rather savage and they are very tyre dependent. You can't run a Cup car on even near new tyres and get a competitive time. I think though that the problem is more that you are stuck in certain events with a Cup car. Hill climbs are not easy because of the gearing and so it's mainly circle work at a track. They won't do club events like sprints well, again because of the gearing.

Much more consistent fun and easier on the pocket to run an older 911 and avoid the time life issues of a Cup car. $40,000 for an engine every few years is too much for me even when they cost $50,000 to buy. Plus you are buying someone else's clapped out banger sometimes re shelled.

The smart money stopped buying Cup cars several years ago. The running costs are rather savage and they are very tyre dependent. You can't run a Cup car on even near new tyres and get a competitive time. I think though that the problem is more that you are stuck in certain events with a Cup car. Hill climbs are not easy because of the gearing and so it's mainly circle work at a track. They won't do club events like sprints well, again because of the gearing.

Much more consistent fun and easier on the pocket to run an older 911 and avoid the time life issues of a Cup car. $40,000 for an engine every few years is too much for me even when they cost $50,000 to buy. Plus you are buying someone else's clapped out banger sometimes re shelled.

I agree with you Simon, you are certainly restrained with the cups and I think an older 911 for a club car is the perfect compromise.

Oh and the pistons, once actually built into the engine, then suffered a recall from Porsche. And no, I have no idea how much an RSR rebuild would cost!

Jump on Mantheys site.. that is pretty scary too! :lol: 

It would be an experience though. Yes I'd love a few laps in a real race car, but no I wouldn't want to buy one as a track car. I also wouldn't buy a 911 either as a track car.

My MR-S with coilovers is a lot of fun. If driving a small mid engine light weight car has taught me anything its that a Lotus Exige is really the only logical step up (besides Radicals, Ariel Atoms, F3 ect)

I still would love a 911 as a daily for the sound/look/fun drive but I'd have more fun on track in something tighter.

And a Lotus Exige is not so fast. A good 240z or 911 RS will whip them every time. Defies logic but it's true, they just don't go as quickly as they should. There are quite a few disappointed former Exige owners around, who've tried them and moved on.