best argument vs speed kills ever

Great find Orion03! 

Verbalises what anyone who drives their car safely and responsibly already knows! (especially anyone who does some country miles...)

I think speed cameras are almost all the time a straight revenue raising activity, however I will say that my mind has changed on red-light cameras. When my suburb got one on every second corner a couple of years ago I was pretty dark, but it has had a positive effect on my driving and the amount of speed (below the limit!) that I will carry into an intersection.

Speeding however...  time for a non-political, non-media-frenzied review please!

Kerry

if speed cameras work, then people will slow down.

If people slow down then revenue from fines will go down.

But revenue from fines is so steady that they can write it into the budget..

So hence speed cameras do nothing to slow people down and hence do not work.

But hey it's only logic, who cares about logic.

As long as government budgets for revenue from "safety cameras" then we're stuck with unreasonably low speed limits.

Red light cameras on the other hand are to catch those idiots who think they can beat the lights with total disregard for other traffic. I see this happen at least weekly on the intersection near my home. No camera there so no one gets caught running the red.

I agree with red light cameras.

I agree with booze buses 

I agree with Drug buses.

I agree with 40 kmh zones by schools.

I even agree with speed cameras.

But reducing the old 10kmh tolerance to 3kmh and putting stupid speed limits like 110kmh on the hume which was designed for 160kmh.

Now that's stupid.

why cant we have autobahns with no speed limits in Australia?

Too many right lane road hogs in Aus, some people think they have a right to just sit in the right lane, well they don't.

When will the authorities start enforcing the "keep left unless overtaking rule", now i'm not an idiot driver and I haven't been booked for over 30 years, but get out of the way.

It's ridiculous that someone has to sit in the overtaking/fast lane for 7 kms or whatever to overtake a car, especially on our freeways.

We have some of the longest stretches of roadways in the world and some of the worst examples of roads as well. A friend of mine is a civil engineer and has built freeways all over the world, I asked him once what was the difference between the roads we build and the roads he has built in other counties, nothing. Maybe some on and off ramps are longer for the higher speed roads in Europe but essentially they are the same.

We love driving in Aus, look how many cars are on the road at holiday time, we don't need a very fast train in Aus yet, we need some more decent roads. Why build a 2 lane freeway when the govt knows it will have to add another lane to it in a couple of years time, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper in the long run to just build in the extra lane where they know the problem areas will be?

Anyway until driving atitudes change and the governments take notice of the studies done like the one in this video we will still be living in nannyland for several years yet. 

I think a simple answer that keeps the gov-co wallets full and allows for higher limits on freeways is something like "Z" rego.

You have to pay to play as such. If you want to be able to do 130kph you need to have your car inspected to a higher level each year. You also and most importantly have to do some more driver ed and get signed off.

Once you have done this you are given a number plate that has say a Red "Z" at the start of it.

To go along with this if you are caught driving in the fast lane for any mount of time without either a Z plate or a good reason it's 3 points and a $500 fine.

If you are not a Z rated driver and are found to be doing 130kph the normal fines apply. If you are a Z rated driver and are caught doing 130kph in a non Z rated car the normal fines apply.

Extra tax money for the gov-co for doing almost nothing. Easy for hwy cars to see who should and should not be doing the posted limt.

Yadda yadda yadda you get the idea.

Great idea Martin, but it relies on all the non "Z-drivers" having an idea as to what that rule is.

I'm just learning to stick to the left lane. much faster. Seems nobody wants to use it anymore!!!

I think a simple answer that keeps the gov-co wallets full and allows for higher limits on freeways is something like "Z" rego.

You have to pay to play as such. If you want to be able to do 130kph you need to have your car inspected to a higher level each year. You also and most importantly have to do some more driver ed and get signed off.

Once you have done this you are given a number plate that has say a Red "Z" at the start of it.

To go along with this if you are caught driving in the fast lane for any mount of time without either a Z plate or a good reason it's 3 points and a $500 fine.

If you are not a Z rated driver and are found to be doing 130kph the normal fines apply. If you are a Z rated driver and are caught doing 130kph in a non Z rated car the normal fines apply.

Extra tax money for the gov-co for doing almost nothing. Easy for hwy cars to see who should and should not be doing the posted limt.

This was proposed in the 1970's but the pollies killed it.

Can do 130kph in NT legally, used to be unlimited, and yep....more crashes

I've been reading up on the vicroads site about this keep left rule. "Keep to the left lane unless the road is congested". It's got a built in loophole. Congestion is not definitive. Anyone can argue that the road was congested so travelled in the right lane. No wonder the cops don't bother. The lawyers will just laugh all the way to the bank as they chalk up another win.

Archived