Replacement Battery?

BAFE

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like most things in life you get what you pay for, bearing in mind the 'law of diminishing returns' often applies. Unfortunately my Cayman's OEM battery only lasted 18 months and was replaced under warranty. I imagine that apart from the battery quality, the capacity is going to affect longevity.

I guess what you buy depends on whether you're stuck on the side of the road being serviced by RACV, if you're battery dies on a weekend when the dealer is closed or else you're cleverly predicting a failure so can plan a purchase. 

IMO, for what it's worth, if I've spent 100K+ on a car I think I'd go OEM.  Personal choice.

I asked the local auto electrician when he was replacing my OEM battery (2007 original died this year) after he had quoted me a price if he had any better batteries for a few more $. Which he did and has since fitted after he was able to explain why it was better and a bit more exy. So I have a higher CCA battery, still aftermarket brand. I will get back to you in a few years with a report ;)

My daughter had an XF panel van which had a couple of replacement under warranty batteries from the RACV that didn't last 12 months. I had a contact in the battery trade who supplied his heavy duty battery that fit the car and as far as I know it is still in there electronning away happily several years later.

I've replaced the battery

though i'm not saying how or by whom as i don't wish to be judged as to whether or not i have done the right thing or are proven to be worthy of P ownership…  <_<

so time will tell if my decision was justified...

I asked the local auto electrician when he was replacing my OEM battery (2007 original died this year) after he had quoted me a price if he had any better batteries for a few more $. Which he did and has since fitted after he was able to explain why it was better and a bit more exy. So I have a higher CCA battery, still aftermarket brand. I will get back to you in a few years with a report ;)

My daughter had an XF panel van which had a couple of replacement under warranty batteries from the RACV that didn't last 12 months. I had a contact in the battery trade who supplied his heavy duty battery that fit the car and as far as I know it is still in there electronning away happily several years later.

was it one of the calcium paste ones? I had one of those and it was the best battery I ever had (lasted for 5 years a few of those it spent outside in the occasional sub zero temperatures)

Batteries hah! what a minefield.

This year after 9 years of ownership the trusty bulletproof 1993 Mercedes E Class we purchased from a wholesaler required a new battery.

As the car came from Sydney originally I don't know how long the battery had been in the car before we bought it.

I got in touch with the mob I buy my batteries from "Battery World" have done for years and asked them to supply me with an OEM style MB factory battery. My contact told me it would have either been a 'Varta' or a 'Bosch' and Bosch batteries are no longer available in Australia so Varta would be the logical choice. Anyway pull it out and give him the the MB code or whatever I could find so he could match it.

Immediately I pulled out the the battery from the Benz.

AND GUESS WHAT I FOUND?

An NRMA roadside battery obviously fitted at some stage whist the car lived in Sydney.

So much for your original equipment being the ducks nuts.

As I have long expected, after owning six cars at one time as an average over the last 20 years I am fairly experienced with batteries and battery failures.

Luck of the draw that's the name of the game, Luck of the draw.

Granted an Australian, German or Japanese made battery may be better than the mainly Asian manufactured ones, they are certainly more expensive but none are guaranteed to last longer.

If racing is a consideration or you have a passion for a quizillion watt sound system then other options may have to be considered but for road cars a standard issue battery will do the job. It was good enough for the auto manufacturers after all.

So what in the case of the old Benz did I use.

A 'Century' battery made in Australia at a far cheaper price than the Varta.

Now lets see if I get 9+ years out of it like the cheap Asian NRMA roadside one.

Any way the choice is left to the purchaser and some will just have to purchase an original from the dealer in case their car immediately blows up or is somehow seen as a badly maintained example that will see their resale price plummet to earth.

And some are just frightened as they have limited mechanical experience but they are only batteries, just batteries.

Dave.

is it an E class cabriolet or sedan? checkout the battery difference for the roof operation....

Who cares. Got nothing to do with the brand of battery that one would purchase.

The correct value unit would still be bought to do the job required .

The discussion is about brands and their origins not specific vehicles.

Dave

^LOL like a low flying jet overhead. The one for the 300TE is big enough. You mean they make an even bigger one?

Has anyone bought a battery in Brisbane recently? I need 2 at the moment & don't mind paying for quality, but i don't want to get ripped off. 

yeah I'm pretty sure the cabriolet one takes up the entire battery tray...

The last batteries I bought were through battery world in Albion - they seemed pretty competitive and the service was great

Guest hepkat63

wife drives a junior porsche (read VW)... and only once a week, but it is a two hundred km round trip (yes, we live in the bush).  He battery dies about every two years - and yes, it is an OEM supplied by VW in Wagga.  I think the old adage if you don't use it you lose it applies with any battery.  Just my 2c worth :)

I am going to out myself and admit to purchasing the current (ha) battery in my P car from Kmart! 5 years ago and it's not been treated with much love until the last few years when I bought the Ctek charger. It's done its job well....

Far more important things to worry about.

C

I am going to out myself and admit to purchasing the current (ha) battery in my P car from Kmart! 5 years ago and it's not been treated with much love until the last few years when I bought the Ctek charger. It's done its job well....

Far more important things to worry about.

C

Well that just makes this whole discussion a waste of bloody time then!!

Ha........OEM...........I'm going to K-Mart!!!

My car is not used so regularly so I put an Optima yellow top (gel type) battery in mine. I find they hold charge a lot longer for cars that tend to sit around for longer than you'd like them to. An auto elect put me on to them years ago for a previous car I had that didn't see much use. Just another option to make things more confusing for people out there. They are not cheap though, you pay around $250-$300 for them from a battery supplier, so they'd be about $1,500 from a Porsche dealership!

Cheers.

My car is not used so regularly so I put an Optima yellow top (gel type) battery in mine. I find they hold charge a lot longer for cars that tend to sit around for longer than you'd like them to. An auto elect put me on to them years ago for a previous car I had that didn't see much use. Just another option to make things more confusing for people out there. They are not cheap though, you pay around $250-$300 for them from a battery supplier, so they'd be about $1,500 from a Porsche dealership!

Cheers.

but the porsche ones would be sprinkled with designer phuffell dust,guaranteed to make you more attractive to the opposite sex and make your car 10% faster, a side benefit is that porsche electrons repel dust and water so that you never have to worry about driving on dusty roads or in the wet again

.................................................................. a side benefit is that porsche electrons repel dust and water so that you never have to worry about driving on dusty roads or in the wet again

See Chris. If you got one of the Porsche batteries you could drive anywhere.

but the porsche ones would be sprinkled with designer phuffell dust,guaranteed to make you more attractive to the opposite sex and make your car 10% faster, a side benefit is that porsche electrons repel dust and water so that you never have to worry about driving on dusty roads or in the wet again

If you know who to ask, it is possible to buy Porsche Pfüffel dust (please note correct spelling) separately.  

Also, I should point out that Pfüffel dust is not some designer flim flam, but has its roots in Porsche's endurance racing history, where it was developed to repel Ferrari ash (Pferdenasche).  

If you know who to ask, it is possible to buy Porsche Pfüffel dust (please note correct spelling) separately.  

Also, I should point out that Pfüffel dust is not some designer flim flam, but has its roots in Porsche's endurance racing history, where it was developed to repel Ferrari ash (Pferdenasche).  

Duly noted re spelling, and thank you so much for clearing up the origins of said Pfuffel dust ( where do you get those little dots)

Crikey, I didn't know that.

If I had been aware of that I would have definitely purchased the factory one.

Money well spent in that case;

Does it also grow back your hair, let you lose weight and increase your height. I could do with all of that.

I would gladly forgo the more attractive to the opposite sex bit as I already have enough of that to sink a battleship.

You either have it or you don't.

Dave

Archived